Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is my CV being ignored because I went to a "bad" university? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Is it possible that my CV is getting ignored because I went to a so called "bad" university? (Salford)

I have a first in physics and have been published. I also have 340 UCAS points and good work experience (no internships though).

Is this the reality of the job market in general or is something else going on?

ReputationRep:
    It depends what jobs you've been applying for. Its also very possible that your CV isn't up to scratch.

ReputationRep:
    i highly doubt it, if i had a 1st in physics, 340 UCAS points and work experience, im 99% sure id be getting call backs

maybe improve your CV, i doubt that your CV is being ignored because you went to salford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by five year lurker)
    Hi guys,

Is it possible that my CV is getting ignored because I went to a so called "bad" university? (Salford)

I have a first in physics and have been published. I also have 340 UCAS points and good work experience (no internships though).

What industries/ companies are you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    Is Salford considered bad? I doubt it, its the qualification that matters!

ReputationRep:
    Get your cv professionally reviewed (or even created) how its structured makes all the difference in the world as does your cover letters

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

What extra curriculars do you have? That's what employers really care about.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

It could also be the rest of your application- for example I've realised now that in many of my cover letters I wasn't explaining why I wanted to work at that particular organisation and that is very important. The places I've had interviews at I've given a good reason for why that organisation.

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely. Make sure that you are showing evidence in your applications that you have whatever qualities the job spec ask for.

It's competitive out there and frustrating but you have very good academics. So it won't be that. Ask people to review your applications

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    sounds like its something else on your cv holding you back, make sure to put some buzz words in there to keep it from going ignored by the automatic cv filter software and write key points under each part of your work experience showing the skills you gained from it

ReputationRep:
    How are you applying/where are you sending your CV?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I hope you haven't written that you have 340 UCAS points on your CV! This will majorly put off a lot of employers as they won't know what it means.

I doubt it's the university you went to, especially in physics.

I'd say either there's a glaring issue with your CV, or you're applying for jobs way out of your league or your work experience isn't as good as you think it is.

Could you ask someone in the industry for feedback on your CV?

Are you actually applying for specific vacancies or just sending out your CV? If it's the second one, then do expect it to be ignored/put on file 99 times out of 100.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 29, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.