Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I am having some trouble getting together the curtail information and I always seem to worry about what I am going to write because I really want this summer placement as I have no experience and this is my last year to gain some....

I have two questions that i need to answer for a construction company..

1.In no more than 500 characters, please explain why you would like to work for BAM?
    2.In no more than 500 characters please explain why you wish to pursue a career in construction?

ReputationRep:
    It is a common misconception that Summer Placements and work experience are important factors in finding work. Work Employers look for several things:

1) General hygiene and cleanliness (make yourself presentable), cover any 'offensive' tattoos, remove piercings, wash your hair and body regularly and apply minimal makeup- this makes you appear low maintenance and therefore punctual and available in an emergency. Many skills are developed within the working environment, rather than through education or placements.

2) Be honest, this applies for you. Come across as eager and motivated, explain that this is your last chance to gain work experience, this will make you seem slightly 'desperate' and therefore willing to put in the effort, determined to make a good impression. Remember, many people will be applying for the same thing, using the same quotes and cliches. You need to present something refreshing, honest and relevant.

3) Don't mention personal preference or childhood dreams, talk about now, talk about your suitability to these offerings. Most importantly, talk about now, it's better to say i love construction and i'm really eager to learn new things and develop my skills NOW, than it is to say I've wanted to do this since was a child (when actually my mind wasn't even fully developed, when i didn't take things seriously and actually i don't know what to say so i'm going to use this hideous cliche of childhood dreams'.

These two questions should take up 1 page. Remember the 5w's (Who, what, where, when, why) and the P.E.E (Point, Explanation, Expand. Be honest.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.