Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have unconditionals from UEA, Sussex and a conditional offer from SOAS, does anyone here plan on doing International Development? if so, which would you choose?

From what I know, Sussex actually has a really good reputation for the subject, but after visiting UEA everyone just seemed so nice there. I am yet to visit SOAS, but I really can't make up my mind between them all!

Thank you x

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Int Dev at all those places too, and have an unconditional from Sussex... was never especially keen on SOAS as I really don't want to be in London, but I've spent a lot of time agonising between UEA and Sussex.
    After going to both applicant days, I felt more positive about Sussex (course seemed more flexible, people were really friendly, and I loved the campus); but since then have read a fair amount of negative stuff about the place - or at least compared to UEA which seems to have a flawless reputation all round (no-one has anything bad to say about it?!). So now I feel like my head is saying UEA and my heart is saying Sussex...don't know how much to go by the words of others :/
    At the end of the day I think I'll go for Sussex just because it would feel counter-intuitive to pick UEA because I got such a good feel from Sussex, but it's a bit disconcerting how high UEA's student satisfaction rates are
    Sorry for long reply ! !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomWeller)
    I have unconditionals from UEA, Sussex and a conditional offer from SOAS, does anyone here plan on doing International Development? if so, which would you choose?

From what I know, Sussex actually has a really good reputation for the subject, but after visiting UEA everyone just seemed so nice there. I am yet to visit SOAS, but I really can't make up my mind between them all!

Thank you x
    Personally I would go with the university whose course, facilities and city I preferred.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missMP3)
    I applied for Int Dev at all those places too, and have an unconditional from Sussex... was never especially keen on SOAS as I really don't want to be in London, but I've spent a lot of time agonising between UEA and Sussex.
    After going to both applicant days, I felt more positive about Sussex (course seemed more flexible, people were really friendly, and I loved the campus); but since then have read a fair amount of negative stuff about the place - or at least compared to UEA which seems to have a flawless reputation all round (no-one has anything bad to say about it?!). So now I feel like my head is saying UEA and my heart is saying Sussex...don't know how much to go by the words of others :/
    At the end of the day I think I'll go for Sussex just because it would feel counter-intuitive to pick UEA because I got such a good feel from Sussex, but it's a bit disconcerting how high UEA's student satisfaction rates are
    Sorry for long reply ! !
    Thank you for the reply! I've never even talked to anyone before who has applied to do development too I know exactly what you mean, for me it is now just between UEA and Sussex. Sussex seems better for the specific course but UEA has such good ratings overall. I am probably overthinking it but I do wanna make sure I am in the best possibe place considering it is for 4 years..

Still unsure

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply! I've never even talked to anyone before who has applied to do development too I know exactly what you mean, for me it is now just between UEA and Sussex. Sussex seems better for the specific course but UEA has such good ratings overall. I am probably overthinking it but I do wanna make sure I am in the best possibe place considering it is for 4 years..

Still unsure
    Oh it's so nice to find someone in the same position!! I'm just finding it really tricky because there are so many things in Sussex's favour for me - I really love that part of the country, prefer the accommodation by a mile, and all round I just thought it had a nice feel to it... but with everyone raving about UEA so much I'm thinking do I even trust myself to make the right decision?!
    I'm probably overthinking it too, because deep down I'm sure I do want to go to Sussex more, but I sort of want confirmation that I'm not making a bad choice.
    Is there anything else that swings it either way for you or do they both seem pretty equal apart from course/satisfaction ratings?

Someone said to me the other day that ultimately the decision should be based on where you can see yourself, and not on other people's opinions, because once you're there it's kinda down to you what you make of the experience.
    And Sussex is by no means a "bad" university, but people certainly seem to have more polarised views towards it than UEA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missMP3)
    Oh it's so nice to find someone in the same position!! I'm just finding it really tricky because there are so many things in Sussex's favour for me - I really love that part of the country, prefer the accommodation by a mile, and all round I just thought it had a nice feel to it... but with everyone raving about UEA so much I'm thinking do I even trust myself to make the right decision?!
    I'm probably overthinking it too, because deep down I'm sure I do want to go to Sussex more, but I sort of want confirmation that I'm not making a bad choice.
    Is there anything else that swings it either way for you or do they both seem pretty equal apart from course/satisfaction ratings?

Someone said to me the other day that ultimately the decision should be based on where you can see yourself, and not on other people's opinions, because once you're there it's kinda down to you what you make of the experience.
    And Sussex is by no means a "bad" university, but people certainly seem to have more polarised views towards it than UEA.
    I definitely am in the same boat as you, it isn't a hugely popular course so there isn't too much information to swing me either way! Thinking about it now, I think I may choose Sussex too??

I'm pretty interested in the work experience differences, UEA has the option of doing 'overseas experience' which can include working on actual development projects for a few months which sounds great, whereas Sussex offers a full year of actual paid work, but not overseas.

I've only visited UEA for an Open Day, and even though everyone was so lovely and it seemed really nice, the accommodation wasn't the best imo. Sussex is rated best in the UK for Int Dev, so I'm thinking Sussex is the way to go... ahh but I just don't know

Don't suppose you'd want to PM me or anything? It would be nice knowing at least one person if we do end up going to the same uni! Don't worry if not, just a suggestion

ReputationRep:
    I definitely am in the same boat as you, it isn't a hugely popular course so there isn't too much information to swing me either way! Thinking about it now, I think I may choose Sussex too??

I'm pretty interested in the work experience differences, UEA has the option of doing 'overseas experience' which can include working on actual development projects for a few months which sounds great, whereas Sussex offers a full year of actual paid work, but not overseas.

I've only visited UEA for an Open Day, and even though everyone was so lovely and it seemed really nice, the accommodation wasn't the best imo. Sussex is rated best in the UK for Int Dev, so I'm thinking Sussex is the way to go... ahh but I just don't know

Don't suppose you'd want to PM me or anything? It would be nice knowing at least one person if we do end up going to the same uni! Don't worry if not, just a suggestion
    Yeah it's tricky isn't it, when I went to the Sussex applicant day nearly everyone else there was looking at either UEA or Leeds, there's not loads of choice.

I thought the same about the UEA accommodation!! It was really..idk..sterile? The kitchens didn't feel like a communal area at all and I wondered if it would feel a bit depressing.

Personally I preferred the Sussex applicant day subject talk, but I know it's not much to go by, just one day. Urhhghghg I'm 95% sure that's where I want to go, but it's just...damn UEA and it's nice-ness.

Aw yeah I get you man, I've actually applied for deferred entry for both though because I'm taking a gap year, so I'll be starting in 2017! Still have to make the decision for May this year, but I'll be a baby Fresher when you're in 2nd year hahah
    Do feel free to PM though !

ReputationRep:

Thank you x

Hey!

If it helps - I've been study Development at Sussex for five years. The course is outstanding, teaching is great and student base is really politically active which helps. Loads of opportunities going to travel or work abroad and plenty of the students do, which makes the lessons really interesting.It has a really good international reputation for the course - so does SOAS but I've heard its better for postgrad. Great thing about Brighton is there is something for everyone here. You will see negative reviews but a lot of that is student friction with management. Many didn't like the Uni VC (who is now stepping down) as he was in as fees were raised and also privatised a lot of uni services. I disagree with those things as well, but a lot of the negativity comes from Brighton being a really liberal, political place, so the backlash was huge. Lots of student protests, crackdowns from management, some temporary expulsions (google 'sussex five' or 'sussex occupy' and youll see) which resulted in a lot of tension. That may play a part in your decision, but don't let it deter you if you think people dislike the course - people I speak to on my course are very happy. There is a little bit of disilluisionment that comes with learning about world poverty, history of colonialism, corporate corruption and institutional racism in development, which can give people an existential crisis at some point, but we all go through it in all dev courses!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nalodi1991)
    Hey!

If it helps - I've been study Development at Sussex for five years. The course is outstanding, teaching is great and student base is really politically active which helps. Loads of opportunities going to travel or work abroad and plenty of the students do, which makes the lessons really interesting.It has a really good international reputation for the course - so does SOAS but I've heard its better for postgrad. Great thing about Brighton is there is something for everyone here. You will see negative reviews but a lot of that is student friction with management. Many didn't like the Uni VC (who is now stepping down) as he was in as fees were raised and also privatised a lot of uni services. I disagree with those things as well, but a lot of the negativity comes from Brighton being a really liberal, political place, so the backlash was huge. Lots of student protests, crackdowns from management, some temporary expulsions (google 'sussex five' or 'sussex occupy' and youll see) which resulted in a lot of tension. That may play a part in your decision, but don't let it deter you if you think people dislike the course - people I speak to on my course are very happy. There is a little bit of disilluisionment that comes with learning about world poverty, history of colonialism, corporate corruption and institutional racism in development, which can give people an existential crisis at some point, but we all go through it in all dev courses!
    I know I'm not the OP but thankyou so much, this is really useful!
    I've been getting so confused and caught up with reviews and satisfaction rates that even though deep down Sussex is where I want to go, I've started to feel like I've made the wrong decision. But I feel very reassured that you say the course is great.
    One of the things that actually appeals to me about Sussex is it's political atmosphere, I really love the idea of being somewhere where people fight for what they believe in.
    In general would you say people are largely happy with their time at Sussex?
    Thanks again for this reply
    PS. I already do world development A Level so have reached the point of practically hating the whole concept of development several times! I do worry sometimes that this will get even stronger doing it at undergrad level, but as long as the lecturers are passionate and the course is interesting, I think it'll be good.

ReputationRep:
    Which University? statistics for International Development say Sussex 82% of students graduate with a 2;1 or above - UAE 77 % of Students graduate with a 2;1 or above -
    My daughter has applied for Sussex and been offered ABB if she firms,but she only got a D at As for psychology and her tutor is only prepared to predict a C and this included her resitting it (her other achieved grades were A 's for World Development and Sociology ) Leeds have offered her at BBC if she firms them (on the Access to Leeds scheme) - but she said to me tonight that as it gets nearer the cut off date of 4th May some unis start giving out unconditional offers - does anyone know if this is likely for Sussex? seeing as it's ranked No1 in the QS world rankings for International development ? - her GCSE's were all at grade c - so I personally think it's not going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minionmum)
    Which University? statistics for International Development say Sussex 82% of students graduate with a 2;1 or above - UAE 77 % of Students graduate with a 2;1 or above -
    My daughter has applied for Sussex and been offered ABB if she firms,but she only got a D at As for psychology and her tutor is only prepared to predict a C and this included her resitting it (her other achieved grades were A 's for World Development and Sociology ) Leeds have offered her at BBC if she firms them (on the Access to Leeds scheme) - but she said to me tonight that as it gets nearer the cut off date of 4th May some unis start giving out unconditional offers - does anyone know if this is likely for Sussex? seeing as it's ranked No1 in the QS world rankings for International development ? - her GCSE's were all at grade c - so I personally think it's not going to happen.
    Hi, what I do know is that Sussex's unconditional offer scheme happens in January; this is when they look over the applicants currently holding conditional offers and either drop them by one grade or change them to unconditionals, if firmed. So although I couldn't say 100% for sure, I think it's very unlikely that Sussex would change any offers at a later date.
    However I know that Sussex take many more people who put them as firm choice than those who put them as insurance, so if Sussex is the place your daughter wants to go more, I think it would definitely be worth putting them first.
    These days more people than ever are getting in to universities even if they slip a grade, because basically most unis want as many people as possible and there's no longer a cap for the amount of admissions.
    So although I think it's unlikely the offer will get changed to an unconditional now, come results day I feel there's definitely a possibility Sussex would take someone with ABC grades.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.