Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    I'm a year 12 student currently studying AS levels in Maths (Edexcel, C1 C2 and S1), Chemistry (AQA), Biology (AQA) and psychology (AQA).
    I have always wanted to study medicine at university, but due to my somewhat lazy predisposition, I achieved okay but not wonderful grades in my GCSES - A*AAAAAAAAAAAB.
    Because medical school requires very high grades, I know I have to find the motivation to work hard and get great grades in my AS levels this year.
    My aim is AAAA.
    Currently, by the recent mock exams, my grades were:
    Psychology - B
    Maths - B
    Biology - D
    Chemistry - E
    I was very disappointed with my mock grades and clearly I have a long way to go to reach my targets, but hopefully keeping this blog as a record will aid me in achieving my goals!!

ReputationRep:
    Tbh your mock grades are really good! especially if youre not a retaker. I'm pretty sure you could get those grades by working super hard. For chemistry buy those CGP revision guides and youtube "erintoul" as he does excellent videos on chemistry! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiv is Light)
    Tbh your mock grades are really good! especially if youre not a retaker. I'm pretty sure you could get those grades by working super hard. For chemistry buy those CGP revision guides and youtube "erintoul" as he does excellent videos on chemistry! Good luck!
    Really?! That's quite comforting to hear!! No I didn't retake any of them. Yeah, since my mocks I've been working much harder but I know I still need to do way more. Thank you so much for the recommendations! I'm going to order the CGP guide now, and I'll look him up. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So, today's plan.
    The problem I have is that I'm always busy. I have an issue with saying no and so I end up doing a lot more than I want to. So far today, I've been for a morning swim which was nice and now I'm just about to have lunch. I'm helping out at a youth group tonight from 6, so I haven't got all that long to do work. Nevertheless, after a lot of ramble, here's my plan.
    - between 1 and 2, continue making biology notes (try and aim to finish the chapter)
    - 2 - 2.30, make mind maps on my notes and start trying to learn them
    - 2.30-3, do practice maths questions on the topics I've made notes on already
    - half an hour break!!!
    - 3.30-4, continue with maths notes on S1. Aim to finish notes on correlation.
    - 4-5, start making psychology flash cards on key studies.

Hopefully after I get home from the youth group, I'll be able to fit in anything I missed, such as if I don't manage to finish what I've planned in the time I've given myself. Today's going to be consistent hard work with few breaks but I'm definitely motivated!!!

I'll update later on how it goes 😁😁😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, great start to your blog! Don't worry about being busy, its good to do things you enjoy in between study sessions

ReputationRep:
    Today hasn't been quite as productive as I'd hoped.
    Of the original list, I got a fair bit done, but I still feel so behind as there's still so much more to do. All I want is to do well.

I've been thinking a lot about motivation. How can I drag myself from in front of the TV to a desk, working my way through growing mountains of work. I decided to divide this question into a few categories, because it's a big one:

Why do I want to do well?
    - to make my parents proud, as they've done so much for me.
    - to prove to myself I CAN do what I set my mind to.
    - to feel better about myself; improve my self esteem overall.
    - to prove to the teachers who have little faith in my ability wrong
    - to make the teachers who believe in me and support me proud.
    - to go to medical school!!!

How can I do well seemed like a much easier question to answer - work hard. But how? What is 'hard' work? 'a great deal of effort or endurance' according to the dictionary. So, clearly, I need to do a lot of extra work to the sum of 'a great deal'. I think a priority at the moment would be to create a timetable - a proper, detailed timetable which I can follow easily to help me spread out this 'great deal' of work that I need to do to achieve those grades.
    So that's the practical side, but back to the motivation. Honestly, I think I need to look to the future. One of my favourite songs features these lyrics:

Just think of the future and think of your dreams. You'll get away from here, you'll get away eventually.
    So, think of the future and think of a new life, and don't get lost in the memories, keep your eyes on a new prize.

I think it's so true that if I dwell on the past, if I keep focusing on what I could have perhaps should have, done in my GCSEs, how can I ever move on to focus on something new?

So, after a lot of ramble, my main message today is to focus on the future. Keep looking forward and keep dreaming. Keep your head up high and don't let anyone tell you you can't do something you want to do. Because you can.

'some people dream of success...while others wake up and work hard at it.'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyjellytot14)
    Hi, great start to your blog! Don't worry about being busy, its good to do things you enjoy in between study sessions
    thank you! yeah I completely agree, just this half term has been mad and I wish I'd had more days just to do work. But hey, I've got a fair bit done so far so that's good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    okay super quick update!
    Crazy busy day - again. I haven't managed to get done nearly as much work as I'd planned to over the half term and I'm so frustrated with myself!! I really need to up the amount of work I do daily if I want to achieve my targets.
    So, as there's not much to say today, I'll just say what I'm about to go and do as soon as I've posted this and leave you with the motivational quote of the day!😁
    - chemistry half-term homework sheet
    - organise chemistry 'lab book'
    - write up answers for psychology
    - complete biology sheets

not sure I'll manage to get this all done as I'm completely shattered - but I'll get through as much as I physically can!

'don't watch the clock; do what it does. Keep going.'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I made this decision today that whilst I'm writing this blog I want to be 100% real and honest. So I will be.

I could say that I worked super hard all day, seeing as I have my maths s1 test tomorrow, but no.

Today is my mums birthday so all I've really done is eat ridiculous amounts of cake. 😂

The only bits of work I managed to get done today were finishing my psychology notes, 3 exercises of chemistry questions on Hess' law and some S1 questions.

I, for one, am completely terrified for tomorrow now.

Wish me luck, for my time management mistakes shall cost me significantly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.