The Student Room Group

Dropping a subject

For AS I do : Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Economics.
Removing maths all the other 3 subjects are a linear course, which means the grade I get the first year won't count.
For a long time I have made a decision that I will be dropping Chemistry at the end of the first year, so do you think it's worth me spending a lot of time doing chemistry revision if I'm gonna end up dropping it???

Should I concentrate more on the subjects I want to keep? Do Unis care about what I got in my AS for the subject I dropped?

THANK YOU!
I'd say you should put effort in still. Universities do care! This isn't like GCSE where citizenship/RE are basically irrelevant and no one cares. While I'm not sure how it's going to work now (or whether it changed at all) there are currently some unis that ask for at least a B in a fourth AS, some obviously don't care and some only ask for a pass but in general they care. If you're 100% sure you're going to drop it then I guess you don't need to put in as much effort. But do keep in mind that you might change your mind. I was convinced that I'd be dropping physics after AS and I ended up deciding not to at the beginning of year 13 (after dropping it for about a day haha). Try to stay on top of chemistry, do all your homework, don't get behind on notes, practice questions after you're done with a topic but since your other 3 subjects are more important to you focus more on those. Something like 20-30 minutes chemistry for every 1 hour physics/maths/economics? So ultimately, you won't be setting yourself up for a U or E or whatever but you also won't be spending all your time on it. With me and physics, I actually ended up spending most time on it, despite wanting to drop it, simply because I knew that I wouldn't be happy with a low grade. But again it's up to you! Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest