Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm torn between the University of Manchester and the University of Liverpool. I've got an offer from Manchester to study Law with Politics (LLB) and from Liverpool to study Law (LLB). My ultimate goal is to become a corporate law solicitor at a good firm, and I know Manchester is better than Liverpool on the league tables from Law, but will politics water the significance of the law degree down? (even though its still an LLB)?

Just wondering if any one could give me advice on which would be the best option in terms of my career prospects when finishing uni, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollie857)
    I'm torn between the University of Manchester and the University of Liverpool. I've got an offer from Manchester to study Law with Politics (LLB) and from Liverpool to study Law (LLB). My ultimate goal is to become a corporate law solicitor at a good firm, and I know Manchester is better than Liverpool on the league tables from Law, but will politics water the significance of the law degree down? (even though its still an LLB)?

Just wondering if any one could give me advice on which would be the best option in terms of my career prospects when finishing uni, thanks
    I am going to Manchester to study the straight Law LLB in September so I can only really talk about Manchester but most people would say to pick Manchester. Both unis are Russell Group unis but Manchester has a much better reputation for Law as you know. It is 56th in the world university rankings and a top 10 uni in the UK in some tables. I do not think it will water it down too much as politics is no soft subject. As you say it is still an LLB and Manchester's Law with Politics LLB is still a qualifying law degree. All the magic circle and big corporate firms visit Manchester Law fair and the Law society is sponsored by major law firms. Liverpool is seen as a weak relation in the Russell Group as it admits those with ABB and lower. Firms, top corporate firms particularly, want AAB (at least) so a lot of people who go to Liverpool have no chance with the top firms. Also being with those with lower grades may not motivate you to do well as you are not with equally able people who may have similar goals in my opinion. Manchester as a university is one of the most targeted by employers due to its size and reputation so I would think a Law with Politics LLB from Manchester as opposed to a Law LLB from Liverpool being much better. On Linkedin I have found many a Manchester law graduate at top law firms!

Chambers Student made this guide about what unis firms like and Manchester does very well. There is a thread about the guide on TSR currently but here is the guide

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/med...university.pdf

ReputationRep:
    I'm in exactly the same situation. You can contact the Manchester admissions and change to the law by itself course. I had an offer from Manchester for the straight law (LLB) and one at Liverpool with business (LLB). I emailed Liverpool and asked could they change it for me they said that was fine. I have however decided to go with Manchester now as I think it's the better choice out of the 2 in terms of employability after the degree. Hope this helps and good luck.
    X

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.