Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    With David Cameron pushing this week to get some sort of deal out of the EU, what are your thoughts on this?

-Will he need to achieve a lot to make it worthwhile staying in the EU?
    -Are you happy enough with the current set up?
    -Are you afraid that the EU is turning into a dictatorship?

Get involved in TSR's discussion today, and see what you think!

ReputationRep:
    David Cameron will get a deal that means little. More people will vote to leave than if there had been no attempt at all, and we had just had the referendum (as the TSR Model House of Commons did).

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care about it at the moment to be honest. I just hope it's postponed until November or later so I can vote and have time to get an educated opinion about it all.

My gut feeling is stay in.

ReputationRep:
    So essentially we get NOTHING meaningful and all the liberals who claim we should stay in a "reformed" EU still believe we should be a part of it.

The EU is never going to see reform.

ReputationRep:
    Cameron and his maladroits are a pale imitation of Thatcher. He lacks the leadership and ability to get much concession out of Europe. He isn't doing the best job of selling the stay in the EU message.

ReputationRep:
    I'm defo voting to leave. The EU is a massive dictatorship, and is expanding rapidly to invite countries such as Albania, Bosnia Herzegovina and Turkey.
    I feel like the UK is paying billions just to keep the smaller poorer EU countries ticking. So it's in the interest of the UK to leave the EU.

ReputationRep:
    If cameron can close the border at the uks leisure i will be happy to stay

ReputationRep:
    I think it's clear that Cameron has achieved very little but then he never proposed to negotiate the issues that concern me anyway (European external borders to stop the horde, CAP, CFP, net contribution). Given how little these changes impact the functioning of our nation and the fact that i believe the EU restrains less than some believe i don't see much reason to take the negotiations into consideration when deciding my vote.

I've been moving in the direction of Out for the UK though i support the federalisation of the rest of Europe and think thos who believe the EU will collapse without us have lost the plot.

For now i'll weigh up whether i can cope with Merkel inviting 1.2 million third worlders against my broad conclusions that In is probably better than Out for now.

ReputationRep:
    I suspect its already been decided long in advance, we will leave, triggering a global economic collapse, the SNP will probably try to break up the union as well.

Corbyn will be able to take advantage of the disgruntled peasants and perhaps even stage a revolution.

ReputationRep:
    I'll definitely vote out there is absolutely nothing he could of negotiated for my vote

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by adam9317)
    With David Cameron pushing this week to get some sort of deal out of the EU, what are your thoughts on this?

-Will he need to achieve a lot to make it worthwhile staying in the EU?He would need to obtain control over immigration and our sovereignty (Eg factortame case).
    -Are you happy enough with the current set up?No.
    -Are you afraid that the EU is turning into a dictatorship?In my view it is, as our president is unelected.

Get involved in TSR's discussion today, and see what you think!
    Responses in bold.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by otester)
    I suspect its already been decided long in advance, we will leave, triggering a global economic collapse, the SNP will probably try to break up the union as well.

Corbyn will be able to take advantage of the disgruntled peasants and perhaps even stage a revolution.
    Even the worst possible outcome, if we had a **** negotiation etc, wouldn't be enough for an economic crash even in this country.
    You forget, we have too much oil and China is grinding to a halt, but a brexit will cause a collapse? Yeah right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    Even the worst possible outcome, if we had a **** negotiation etc, wouldn't be enough for an economic crash even in this country.
    You forget, we have too much oil and China is grinding to a halt, but a brexit will cause a collapse? Yeah right.
    The business cycle crashes roughly every 7 years, we are over due and if you look at the stock market charts, you can see another crash is on the way.

ReputationRep:
    The business cycle crashes roughly every 7 years, we are over due and if you look at the stock market charts, you can see another crash is on the way.
    And that has what to do with the eu

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think that what Cameron is trying to negotiate for is so utterly pathetic that it's not worth bothering with. What's he trying to achieve? For the best part his demands are pretty nebulous with the one concrete exception of wanting to stop those coming to the UK from claiming certain benefits until they have been resident for four years.

And Cameron negotiates with a nod and a wink letting those across the table know that come what may he's probably going to be campaigning to stay in anyway. Who goes to a negotiating table with that strategy? Only an imbecile. It must be like negotiating with a four year old. Those across the table must be in stitches. He's already using ridiculous scaremongering tactics so has shown his hand.

And when it eventually comes to the referendum he will instruct (or otherwise coerce or blackmail) his ministers and backbenchers to tow the party line, and will probably use public money to fund his IN campaign while allowing plenty of EU money to do the same thing.

What a waste of everybody's time. It's a fudge. What he's asking for is pathetic. If he achieves it it'll still be pathetic. If he doesn't it'll be even more pathetic, And come what may the UK will be faced with a rigged referendum anyway.

Move along people, nothing to see here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    And that has what to do with the eu

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It has more to do with Rod Hull and Emu than the EU.

ReputationRep:

I'm assuming you're taking the piss. If not, keep drinking the Kool Aid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I'm assuming you're taking the piss. If not, keep drinking the Kool Aid.
    Listen to the first 15 mins of 5live after question time finished last night that caller called Carla WOW

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A complete waste of time and money.

The Eurosceptics, much like the SNP want to have their cake and eat it. They also wont accept an In vote as has been expressed above, because its been rigged (just like in Oldham! [irony]) the evil establishment have funded it (they have a much laxer approach to where eurosceptics get their money from, obviously) oh and of course that dastardly EU have brainwashed us into supporting it by giving our kids colouring in books. (The ba****rds! This is worse than the holocaust!)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yeah, the cause won't be a Brexit though. A brexit wouldn't be good for trans-national corporations, only for smaller business as the impact of regulations wouldn't be benefiting big businesses anymore.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.