Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    S09 - Departmental Review from the Ministry of Defence

Ministry of Defence: Departmental Review
    Secretary of State: The Rt Hon. Aph MP
    Activities abroad
    • The UK will continue with airstrikes against Daesh in Syria and Iraq. Nuclear weapons will not be involved. However we will seek for a diplomatic solution to the situation involving Bashar al-Assad. We believe that Assad cannot be part of the long-term future of Syria but realise that it is not practical to remove him at this time. We will work with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to negotiate an agreement with Russia and Syria to seek to temper the conflict between Assad and the moderate rebels and focus both sides upon the common enemy of Daesh in a way that works for all.
    • The UK will maintain its small presence in Afghanistan to continue to train and advise their security forces.
    • The UK will also closely monitor the situations in both Ukraine and the South China Sea and be on alert to defend our allies in both cases at a moment's notice.
    • All current operations will be continued.

Nuclear deterrent
    • In an ideal world we would not need a nuclear deterrent, however this is not an ideal world, The Trident nuclear system protects this nation from attack by the threat of mutually-assured destruction. As such Trident will be maintained at present.
    • The Ministry of Defence will however launch a review into the possibility of relocating Trident. The possibilities to be considered are Strangford Lough, Lough Foyle, Morecambe Bay, the Severn Estuary, and near Gibraltar, Lincolnshire. This report is expected to be completed in the next Parliament.

Personnel
    • The decision in 2010 to cut the number of full time soldiers was a mistake. We believe that a full-time force always ready for deployment is better than a force made up of a large number of reserves, however we also appreciate that the reserves are an integral part of our defence and that not everyone can or should leave work to join the military.
    • We intend to increase Gurkha numbers to 5000 by 2020 and increase the number of army regulars to at least 100 000 at the same time. At the same time we will aim to increase the number of RAF and Royal Navy full-time personnel to a combined total of 70 000 (approx. 35 000 each).
    • The Future Reserves 2020 program will continue but will aim to get a net annual gain of no more than 3 000.
    • In collaboration with the Department of Work and Pensions we will introduce a programme whereby people who have been out of work for longer than a year can accept a non-combatant job in the forces for up to 2 years where they will be paid minimum wage, to be advertised in job centres.
    • Lastly, we recognise that working in the armed services is a dangerous job and that these brave men and women who put their lives on the line for us deserve to be properly rewarded. Given previous pay freezes, we are announcing a 10% pay rise to all military personnel in a combative role.

Research and development
    • The UK will tender contracts for sonic weapon research which are capable of both killing and destruction of infrastructure as we believe such weapons would be cheaper to maintain and operate. This contract will be up to £0.4bn for the initial development of weapons which can be hand-operated and mounted to drones.
    • All other research projects will remain the same, with funding increased by £0.5bn.

Equipment
    • The UK puts the safety of its officers above everything else and believes they should be properly armed to deal with any potentially hazardous situation. As such we will raise the per capita equipment spend by approximately 5% to £35,000 per capita (full-time and reserve). Officers will be consulted upon the exact equipment to be purchased with this increased sum.
    • We also believe that we should be able to defend ourselves from maritime attacks and as such we will invest in a fleet of 10 Kawasaki P-1s in addition to the 9 P-8 Poseidons bought to defend our nuclear deterrent which will enter service in 2018. These P-1s will be based in RAF Honington and should be in service by 2020.

Joint operations
    • We will continue to fund NATO exercises and will remain in NATO.
    • The UK will answer the request of our EU colleagues for help in defending their borders from illegal immigration and controlling the flow of refugees by sending 500 personnel to help patrol the land borders of the EU from Bulgaria all the way to Finland in those countries that have made such a request.
    • HMS Sabre and HMS Scimitar will be sent to patrol the Mediterranean to rescue and remove potential refugees and send them to refugee camps outside of Europe where they can submit an official claim for asylum in the EU.

British Overseas Territories
    • At present the UK has 1200 troops, 4 Typhoons and 1 Frigate based in the Falklands. We will send a second frigate to be based there and upon completion the HMS Queen Elizabeth will be based in the Falklands and will patrol the coast of the Falklands and the Caribbean to protect British territory in the region. The HMS Prince of Wales upon completion will be kept by the Navy and used when needed.
    • We will also increase the number of Typhoons in the Falklands to 10 and the number of troops to 2000. This will be considered a redeployment.
    ~~~~
    Costings

Defence budget: £41.78bn + £2.6bn future (+21.5%)
    Trident operations: £2.4bn
    Personnel costs:
    a Current full-time costs: £8.6bn
    a New troops: (£344m)
    aa Soldiers: £225m (~£14,600 per person[5].)
    aa Gurkhas: £36.5m (~£14,600 per person[6])
    aa Navy: £36.5m (~£14,600 per person[7])
    aa RAF: £46m (~£30,600 per person[8])
    a Civilian manpower: £3.2bn
    a Cost of pay rise (civilian and military): £1.2bn
    Marine aircraft:
    a P-1’s: £1bn (£100m per unit)
    a Poseidons: £1.6bn (~£178m per unit)
    Sonic weapons: £0.4bn
    Other R&D: £1.5bn (+£0.5bn)
    Equipment costs:
    a Single-use equipment: £4.9bn
    a Personnel equipment:£8.05bn (+£1.5bn)
    Miscellaneous:
    a Infrastructure: £5bn (+£0.3bn)
    a Other: £3.7bn
    a Inventory: £2.5bn (+0.7bn)

Other expenses: £11.1bn (+5.4%)
    Demand-based expenses: £2bn (+0.1bn)
    Inventory write-offs and depreciation: £9bn (+0.5bn)
    External assistance: £94m (+£3m)

External income: £1.35bn (-10%)
    Personnel: £315m (+£5m)
    Supplies and services: £310m (+£5m)
    NATO/UN/foreign countries: £300m (+£10m)
    Dividends: £60m (-£50m)
    Sale of fuel: £75m (-£5m)
    Reverse tasking: £40m (+£10m)
    Rented property: £30m (+£5m)
    Donated assets: £15m (+10m)
    Other: £200m (-£145m)

Total expenditure: £52.88bn + £2.6bn in the future (+17.8%)
    Total cost: £50.33bn
    Budget: £62bn (+21%)
    ~~~~
    Notes

The decision to negotiate with Assad is one of necessity rather than desire. If we attempt to attack Assad it could escalate into a direct war with Russia, which we do not want. However we believe that with the rebels having to fight both Assad and Daesh they are spread thin. If we can unite Assad’s forces with the rebels we have a fighting chance of getting a ground force strong enough to destroy Daesh.

The previous government decision to dry-dock 2 Trident submarines has been reversed, as the Trident Alternatives Review[3] decided that 3 submarines do not provide a credible threat, so only having 2 is as good as not having any. Trident's importance to national security has led to its continuation.

The decision to increase R&D funding was taken through a need to develop improved weaponry for our aircraft and a general desire to provide funding for better research.

The decision to purchase P-1s on top of the P-8s we are already getting was made because Britain needs to defend its waters. The P-8s will focus on protecting Trident from attack but the P-1s will protect the south and east coasts from Russian submarines with a broader focus.

The Department will get a budget of £62bn from the Treasury to ensure that we have enough money for all expenditure, consisting of £7bn of unaccounted RL spending (assumed to go to office staff) and £2bn float should an emergency arise.
    ~~~~
    References
    [1] Armed forces personnel statistics
    [2] Armed forces budget review
    [3] Trident Alternatives Review
    [4] Poll showing Trident popularity in Scotland
    [5] Basic rate of pay for new officers is £14,600
    [6] Gurkha pay is the same as army pay
    [7] New navy officers get £14,600 a year
    [8] RAF pilots get £30,600 a year after training

Resources & Notes

*All figures in brackets are from RL sources compared to figures given by this review.*
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    ******** did Aph write that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has the government decided to get busy after the VONC/MONC?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't agree with getting involved in the South China Sea situation, but wow this is most surprising.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Has the government decided to get busy after the VONC/MONC?
    Yeah, because Aph managed to write this in a day....
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The thing I didn't most interesting here is that this government as decided to employ spending at higher levels than those declared absurd, why the change of position?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    ******** did Aph write that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did, Toronto suggested the pay rise and I won't take credit for others work but the rest is my work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Yeah, because Aph managed to write this in a day....
    If anyone would do it in a day, aph probably could
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by adam9317)
    If anyone would do it in a day, aph probably could
    Fair enough Aph's been working on this from when he was appointed
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The Increase in RAF Personnel needs sorting out .... They already have 35,000 they need more .... Again this is an example of how the government dont do any research ...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Few bits and pieces, you're adding men, but what to, seems somewhat arbitrary and poorly thought out.

Aircraft don't exactly help the deterrent

I also suggest the Rt Hon gentleman has been watching too much sci fi if proposing lethal and damaging sonic weaponry

The costing is also wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    The Increase in RAF Personnel needs sorting out .... They already have 35,000 they need more .... Again this is an example of how the government dont do any research ...
    Or you don't. I would suggest reading page 6 of the first link. We are giving a 1,500 increase of the regular forces...

ReputationRep:
    Daesh or not, I don't think Assad would want to ally with the rebels and vice - versa.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Few bits and pieces, you're adding men, but what to, seems somewhat arbitrary and poorly thought out.

Aircraft don't exactly help the deterrent

I also suggest the Rt Hon gentleman has been watching too much sci fi if proposing lethal and damaging sonic weaponry

The costing is also wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Issues with the costing? Most of it is taken from government sources which are linked in the statement.

Also sonic weapons are new and upcoming. I'm sure you are aware of the destructive effects of resonance?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Issues with the costing? Most of it is taken from government sources which are linked in the statement.

Also sonic weapons are new and upcoming. I'm sure you are aware of the destructive effects of resonance?
    I'll go through the particular costing when I get ho!e, but the way it is presented suggests it is wrong

As for resonance, what is the resonant frequency of the human body? How do you determine accurately enough the resonant frequency of the target before use? And I am sure you are aware of the inverse square laws involved

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Delighted to finally see this SOI for defence out - great job, Aph!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Or you don't. I would suggest reading page 6 of the first link. We are giving a 1,500 increase of the regular forces...
    Do you know anything about the RAF ? ( Royal Air force not the Royal aviary force ) The RAF need more ICT Techs , ATC Controllers , Chefs , Logistic guys , HR Officers , Recruitment staff ,and other ground trades and you really think that an extra 1,500 more personell with fix this ? The RAF Used to have 39,000 and they had to cut 4,000 A mistake so the raf need arouns another 4-5k ... as it happens i have my RAF Selection interview tommrow
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I'll go through the particular costing when I get ho!e, but the way it is presented suggests it is wrong

As for resonance, what is the resonant frequency of the human body? How do you determine accurately enough the resonant frequency of the target before use? And I am sure you are aware of the inverse square laws involved

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can assume you that they are accurate.

For instance the resonance or the human eyeball is about 17Hz which has already been calculated. Use of wepons at this range cause halusinations. You don't need the entire bodily resonance just a part of the body which is targetable. The science exists and bodily resonance frequencies are somewhat known. Although my aim is more for the bringing down is buildings without the use of bombs.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Do you know anything about the RAF ? ( Royal Air force not the Royal aviary force ) The RAF need more ICT Techs , ATC Controllers , Chefs , Logistic guys , HR Officers , Recruitment staff ,and other ground trades and you really think that ab extra 1,500 more personell with fix this ? The RAF Used to have 39,000 and they had to cut 4,000 A mistake so the raf need arouns another 4-5k ... as it happens i have my RAF Selection interview tommrow intervie
    1,500 military personnel not 'ground trades' as you call them. There are no numbers for those. The 35,000 will be people in a combative role. Also I never said it was teh Royal aviary force and your hostile tone is unwarented.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.