Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently a second year student reading Medical Physiology and Therapeutics at UoN, I was wondering about my chances of getting into med school but torn between graduate or undergraduate after this degree. I looking to get a 2.1 or above (hopefully 1st) but my A-levels were not too great (BBBC) and GCSEs (1A*, 8A, 2B, 1C). I wanted to look at Birmingham for graduate or undergraduate but do not know if my A-levels will get me an instant rejection...

I've been debating about doing the GAMSAT or the UKCAT as well, as the graduate medicine at Nottingham wants GAMSAT but Warwick (another first choice for me) wants the UKCAT (speaking generally more med schools want UKCAT).

Any advices would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Undergrad is easier to get into. You stand a reasonable chance of an offer with a 50th percentile UKCAT for undergrad, but for graduate entry you're looking at having to be in the top decile...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieGEM)
    Undergrad is easier to get into. You stand a reasonable chance of an offer with a 50th percentile UKCAT for undergrad, but for graduate entry you're looking at having to be in the top decile...
    Yes, I was thinking of doing the UKCAT for sure and my main unis would be Birmingham (5yrs) and Warwick (4yrs), as I'd like to live at home for the course (especially if it's Birmingham - to cut down on maintenance cost). But I don't know if my Alevels will get me an instant rejection from birmingham.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by TY6851)
    Yes, I was thinking of doing the UKCAT for sure and my main unis would be Birmingham (5yrs) and Warwick (4yrs), as I'd like to live at home for the course (especially if it's Birmingham - to cut down on maintenance cost). But I don't know if my Alevels will get me an instant rejection from birmingham.
    Birmingham is very hot on academics, even for grads. You still need AAA for their five year programme so it would be a waste of an application.
    http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergra...ryRequirements

Its really hard to narrow down options until you know your UKCAT score as that can drastically influence where you can apply.

The big question is, do you have £36k for undergrad entry?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I understood it, your A-levels probably would whichever course you applied to at Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're planning to emigrate or build a career on Harley Street then I wonder why the hell you'd bother with medicine given Jeremy *unt's antics...

It's a shame. Doctors are such amazing people and I have a huge amount of respect for those juniors who keep plodding away.

ReputationRep:
    As for getting a good enough score on the UKCAT, loads of grads take it year after year until their scores are good enough or they get lucky enough to get a competitive score. Unlimited tries is something they do allow on the UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jambojim97)
    Unless you're planning to emigrate or build a career on Harley Street then I wonder why the hell you'd bother with medicine given Jeremy *unt's antics...

It's a shame. Doctors are such amazing people and I have a huge amount of respect for those juniors who keep plodding away.
    Not this again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Birmingham is very hot on academics, even for grads. You still need AAA for their five year programme so it would be a waste of an application.

Its really hard to narrow down options until you know your UKCAT score as that can drastically influence where you can apply.

My mindset for Birmingham was that, because it's close to where I live so I can live at home and save on maintenance cost, and the 36k would be less steep, and naively believing that Birmingham would look less upon alevels (as a grad applying for ug)...

ReputationRep:
    As for getting a good enough score on the UKCAT, loads of grads take it year after year until their scores are good enough or they get lucky enough to get a competitive score. Unlimited tries is something they do allow on the UKCAT.
    Thanks CharlieGEM, I haven't done the ukcat before, but I'll probably give it a shot. (Any tips or methods for doing the ukcat?)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My mindset for Birmingham was that, because it's close to where I live so I can live at home and save on maintenance cost, and the 36k would be less steep, and naively believing that Birmingham would look less upon alevels (as a grad applying for ug)...
    Honestly, your a-levels really aren't that bad for grad entry. If you can do really well in the UKCAT/GAMSAT then you'd stand a good chance at a lot of the 4 year programmes. I wouldn't start aiming for 5 year courses just yet.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I understood it, your A-levels probably would whichever course you applied to at Birmingham.
    Thanks for being so honest CharlieGEM, but I've had a look at their 4yr graduate entry programme and they want BBB and a 1st/upper 2.1, which looks more promising than the 5yr programme. If not then I may have to consider doing the gamsat for nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jambojim97)

Yes I completely agree, but it has always been a dream of mine, who knows, the system could get better in the future after this chaotic period, you got to be optimistic. At the end of the day medicine is a dynamic field and could change for better or worse. (Hopefully better)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)

Thanks for the link ForestCat. I've had a look at their GEP programme, maybe give that a shot.. Because I'm still leaning to living at home for this, to cut down on cost. But Warwick may be my first choice.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.