Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What will my future be like if I don't treat my depression? watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm currently experiencing depression and it's been already been about 2 years since I began feeling depressed. I also think I have social anxiety because social situations scare the living crap out of me.

Today I had an interview for an assignment at uni and I actually had to tell the interviewer that I was very nervous and that I needed some time to cool down. It felt like some sort of panic attack. So when I was asked questions, my brain simply would NOT process any of them and so I had to think twice as hard in order to come up with answers. But it was a disaster as I was just tripping over my own words. At that point all I could think about was running away forever and you could probably guess how the rest of the interview went. Prior to the interview one of my colleagues was telling me that it's going to be okay but I never even told them I was nervous which means they could tell from the way I looked. I thought I wasn't letting my emotions affect my appearance but I guess the situation is just THAT BAD. To my colleague I must have looked like I just killed someone or something. I really don't know if my depression is a product of social anxiety or vice versa. Both seem entirely plausible.

But I can't be @ssed to get treated. I guess it's due to a stupid kind of pride that makes me dislike having to rely on others. That's why I also hate asking for help from teachers even if I KNOW that it would be extremely beneficial to me if I did ask. Stupid pride. Can depression just get better by itself or what? Is time really the best medicine? I would rather "grow" out of my depression so please tell me its possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desslop)
    So I'm currently experiencing depression and it's been already been about 2 years since I began feeling depressed. I also think I have social anxiety because social situations scare the living crap out of me.

Today I had an interview for an assignment at uni and I actually had to tell the interviewer that I was very nervous and that I needed some time to cool down. It felt like some sort of panic attack. So when I was asked questions, my brain simply would NOT process any of them and so I had to think twice as hard in order to come up with answers. But it was a disaster as I was just tripping over my own words. At that point all I could think about was running away forever and you could probably guess how the rest of the interview went. Prior to the interview one of my colleagues was telling me that it's going to be okay but I never even told them I was nervous which means they could tell from the way I looked. I thought I wasn't letting my emotions affect my appearance but I guess the situation is just THAT BAD. To my colleague I must have looked like I just killed someone or something. I really don't know if my depression is a product of social anxiety or vice versa. Both seem entirely plausible.

But I can't be @ssed to get treated. I guess it's due to a stupid kind of pride that makes me dislike having to rely on others. That's why I also hate asking for help from teachers even if I KNOW that it would be extremely beneficial to me if I did ask. Stupid pride. Can depression just get better by itself or what? Is time really the best medicine? I would rather "grow" out of my depression so please tell me its possible.
    Trust me, it will be much, much better for you in the long run if you speak a doctor about it, as much as depression is a very personal struggle, we all need help at some point, don't be too proud to help yourself

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.