Turn on thread page Beta

(parental neglect/emotional abuse tw) need help!! watch

Announcements

Hey! I'm just 15 and my brother's 11, and my mother's been manipulative – do this or .... / oh you think you broke your arm whilst we're on holiday? what about all the money I spent huh?(we were less than 100 miles from home) – towards us our entire lives (my dad left when I was 2, brother's dad left before he was born)

Recently (since November, when I was 14) my mother's been leaving us for days (the most so far is 6) with £3 ish, no supervision, and no prewarning.

Every conversation I have with her makes me hate myself more than I already did and she's causing my brother to have severe issues with anger management.

I'm so close to breaking and I really don't know what to do, can anyone give me any advice? Thanks x

(Last thing, yesterday I got the number of the man who's cheating on his wife to be with my mum. Because of my poor impulse control I texted him "hi [his name] lol" from my friend's phone because mine was dead.. She's just got back (at 10:30 pm) and apparently the guy reported my friend's number to the police for harrassment!! What do I do????)
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey! I'm just 15 and my brother's 11, and my mother's been manipulative – do this or .... / oh you think you broke your arm whilst we're on holiday? what about all the money I spent huh?(we were less than 100 miles from home) – towards us our entire lives (my dad left when I was 2, brother's dad left before he was born)

Recently (since November, when I was 14) my mother's been leaving us for days (the most so far is 6) with £3 ish, no supervision, and no prewarning.

Every conversation I have with her makes me hate myself more than I already did and she's causing my brother to have severe issues with anger management.

I'm so close to breaking and I really don't know what to do, can anyone give me any advice? Thanks x

(Last thing, yesterday I got the number of the man who's cheating on his wife to be with my mum. Because of my poor impulse control I texted him "hi [his name] lol" from my friend's phone because mine was dead.. She's just got back (at 10:30 pm) and apparently the guy reported my friend's number to the police for harrassment!! What do I do????)
    Speak to someone you trust at your school or if you feel able to speak to social services they should be able to help.

ReputationRep:
    Tell your teachers! They'll help you a lot and put you and your brother in a better place/ fix up at home and give your mum the help she needs to take care of you properly.

Please do this - for you and your brother

Its not right and it shouldnt be happening to you so please just tell a teacher you feel comfortable with.

Stay close to your brother.

Good luck <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

You should call police hows that prick saying harrasment and reporting ur friend
    He needs to fkoff he already has a wife
    I think u need an adults advice on this
    Theres a lot u can do
    U can report ur mum
    Shes leaving u etc
    U might aswwll do that
    If he was too move in with her then he would
    Not her always going to meet him
    I hope u are keeping strong
    Bcus ur at a young age and ur already going thru a lot
    god has better plans for u
    Keep strng
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Firstly, well done for reaching out and asking for help.

Give NSPCC Childline a ring - they've got people specially trained to deal with these sorts of situations. They can talk you through it calmly and tell you who you need to speak to.

Other people have suggested talking to a teacher you trust, which is also a great idea. You can also speak to a school counsellor or even the police on a non-emergency line - all of these people will have had training to deal with these situations, and will refer you to the right places. There are support systems in place for them to follow to make sure you and your family get the help you need - don't feel like you are alone or no-one will help you, but you need to let them know what's going on.

If one of these people doesn't seem to do anything about it, try the next one.

I'm not surprised you're feeling how you are and making your brother's anger management worse - it's a very unsettling experience. It's not right for your mum to be leaving you and your little brother for long periods of time without warning and possibly enough food - it is legally defined as neglect, because it's something that has very damaging effects.
    Basically, you're a 15 year old, you shouldn't have to be worrying about this sort of thing - most people don't have to look after themselves until they're in their early 20's. So how you're feeling right now is completely normal for anyone your age thrown into that situation.

I'm sorry you're in this situation - not everyone who has kids is a good parent. It sucks but as someone who came from a pretty dysfunctional family, you can get through it, and when you're out you can live a very happy life. But you gotta reach out and find the good people and support systems (I promise you, they ARE there).

Best of luck xx

ReputationRep:
    He probably didn't report you to the police if he's cheating on his wife! Talk to someone like childline and they'll be able to help you out!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 19, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.