Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm 18 years old, currently studying Physics, Chemistry, Computing at A2 which is completely irrelevant to what I want to do.
    I've always been seriously passionate about music I want to go into sound engineering, producing, but as long as it pays enough to live on, I'll do pretty much anything to do with music. Does anyone have any advice they could give on what to do when I finish my A-levels?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Essentially try and get work ex in a studio now.

Whereabouts are you? Could you essentially get 'a Saturday job' somewhere?

This type of work, you have to know people and do it that way

if you do it this way, you can speak to people and they will tell you what to do next.

You can also try radio stations and hospital radio stations or offbeat channels like Resonance (Google. Probably out of your area but this kind of thing.

The other thing you could do is look up producers and sound engineers whose work you admire and contact them. Speak positively about your interest and ask would it be at all possible, should they be willing, even though they must be extremely busy, to sit with them and watch them work one day.

These jobs involve long hours in a dark space with a load of kit for company so they might like the company.

Find out if anyone does open days.

I worked in TV for a long time, I always found working with composers a highlight. You could try all of the above with composers. They tend to be all rounders ie they do music and kit and engineering.

I should add that, when it comes to watching people work express some awareness that they may be working for a client and there may be issues around confidentiality of the work in progress.

Good luck with it. But start looking now for bits and bobs where you can get an insight before thinking about a job

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.