Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

F1 to bring in closed cockpits for 2017 Watch

ReputationRep:
    After several fatalities in recent motorsport incidents where the drivers were hit on the head, F1 is bringing in closed cockpits for 2017.

The halo closed cockpit solution will protect the driver's head from flying debris, tyres, wheels and anything else that could potentially cause a fatal head injury.

What are your thoughts on this? Should F1 build the cars with a jet fighter style canopy? Personally I think the halo concept still leaves a lot of the driver's head exposed, I mean looking at the pics you can see that some debris might still be able to infiltrate the gaps. But it's a step in the right direction. A full closed cockpit canopy would be much safer.

More info: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/re...e-halo-674099/

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't really call it a closed cockpit tbh, I hear it will just be attached from the side so wouldn't really be protecting the drivers' heads

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BadNachos)
    I wouldn't really call it a closed cockpit tbh, I hear it will just be attached from the side so wouldn't really be protecting the drivers' heads
    If it's not going to protect the drivers' heads, isn't it a bit pointless?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    As people have said further up I doubt it will stop all the debries getting in with a high speed accident, trouble is that wouldn't have prevented the death of Jules Bianchi either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    As people have said further up I doubt it will stop all the debries getting in with a high speed accident, trouble is that wouldn't have prevented the death of Jules Bianchi either.
    The closed cockpit or halo design would definitely have prevented the deaths of Henry Surtees and Justin Wilson, though, and maybe even Senna.

Related to this topic, Kimi Raikkonen tested the halo device yesterday in the pre-season tests:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35714906

This halo device has recieved mixed reaction with F1 drivers. I'm in two minds about this myself. What do you guys think of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nk802)
    The closed cockpit or halo design would definitely have prevented the deaths of Henry Surtees and Justin Wilson, though, and maybe even Senna.

Related to this topic, Kimi Raikkonen tested the halo device yesterday in the pre-season tests:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35714906

This halo device has recieved mixed reaction with F1 drivers. I'm in two minds about this myself. What do you guys think of it?
    I mean, regarding Justin Wilson, the front nose cone hit him straight on the head. We can still see a ring in the halo which debris could easily get through and still cause damage which is why I'm not sure it would've prevented his death. Also, there's also the factor of having to get out the car quickly if there's a fire, so I'm not really sure if it's a good fix

ReputationRep:
    Yeah if the car catches fire, wouldn't this prevent the driver from being able to get out of the car fast enough?
    and it's not protecting their heads either so... what's the point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Yeah if the car catches fire, wouldn't this prevent the driver from being able to get out of the car fast enough?
    and it's not protecting their heads either so... what's the point?
    The FIA will have thought about the issue of getting out quickly - there will be a 'quick release' button in the cockpit to release the halo, allowing the driver to get out easily. I think it does protect the drivers' heads mostly, I mean it will prevent most large side or front flying debris from hitting their heads, which is better than without the halo. It is ugly as sin, though. Perhaps they'll tweak and improve the design by next year.

ReputationRep:
    Red Bull reveal their alternative to the halo concept:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/re...upport-679544/

What do you think of this?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.