Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Procrastination or laziness? watch

Hi all! ANY advice would be appreciated!

I have a problem, and I'm pretty sure a lot of others have it as well. But I've recently become worried by how bad it's become. I'm sure most of you are familiar with procrastination to some degree. I've had it for some time; leaving assignments to the last minute, struggling to get started and worrying about getting things done, and getting easily distracted.

HOWEVER, recently I've noticed that my habits have changed. I'm no longer getting distracted from work, I'm avoiding it completely. I now look for excuses to not do work at all. Right now it's the holidays and I've done absolutely no revision. I tell myself I'll start tomorrow, and then don't do anything.

A good example of this is that I left my History coursework until 2am of the day it was due. I only did it because I had NO other option but to get it done. I do absolutely no homework for maths, and it's starting to show (one or two bad scores in tests). In general life, I'm not a lazy person. I exercise regularly, participate in sports teams (even captain a few), and my teachers consider me to be capable and intelligent. My problem is that with my work, I don't think it's procrastination any more. I think I've become downright lazy. I can't seem to escape it, and to be honest, I haven't got the motivation to escape it. I'm currently about to sit my A2s and have offers from some very good unis (Durham and Bristol are my choices so far), but I'm worried that I won't achieve the necessary grades. Despite this, I continue to do no work, and can't seem to change that. It didn't help that my teacher graded my coursework A*, because it's reinforced this idea that I can do no work.

A few conclusions that I've come to are that I'm starting to feel out of my depth in some subjects (Maths especially), but the problem exists with history work as well. Another possibility is that I just don't find my subjects interesting, but I'll be honest, while I was writing my history coursework, I quite enjoyed it, so I don't think it's that. Possibly it's just a force of bad habit now. I don't know.

I guess this is almost a cry for help. I feel like I'm wasting any potential I may have, but I lack the motivation to change. It's weird that I'm writing this now, because it demonstrates that I'm aware of the problem. I just can't seem to get out of it, and every day exams draw nearer and nearer....

Buuump. Please, I'd like some help!

you could try maybe breaking down the work into smaller parts and then gradually building up the amount you do? doing homework for say five or ten minutes at a time seems a lot more manageable than doing all of it at once, so you might be less likely to put it off. also if you have any friends doing the same subjects you could try doing work with them instead of by yourself? sorry I'm not an expert on this but it helps me when I start procrastinating
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.