The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 1 17/05 & Unit 2 23/05 - Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by 10studentlife
my teacher said that for the 20 marker class, ethnicity and marxism seem most likely!

Unit 1 or 2
do all of the evaluation points have to contradict your original point? im so confused with essays i havent got higher than 13 in the past month😩
Original post by trionah_
do all of the evaluation points have to contradict your original point? im so confused with essays i havent got higher than 13 in the past month😩

Yes, to evaluate is to highlight the contrasting view of your argument/point. For example, an essay on 'Functionlist view of education', a good evaluation would be to contrast it with Marxism, The New Right etc. Or that Functionlist's assume all students are passive. Or that Functionalism view eg Parsons, Durkheim are outdated.
Original post by sazriah
Yes, to evaluate is to highlight the contrasting view of your argument/point. For example, an essay on 'Functionlist view of education', a good evaluation would be to contrast it with Marxism, The New Right etc. Or that Functionlist's assume all students are passive. Or that Functionalism view eg Parsons, Durkheim are outdated.

I'm not sure. Evaluation is a critique, though critiques are not necessarily criticisms. You could probably gain evaluation marks by explaining why a particular theory is strong, though most people don't because it is hard to distinguish this from AO1 and a counter perspective is explicit evaluation.
Reply 204
Original post by xxvine
That's the easiest one
Why don't you want it to come up? I don't want demography

Don't mind feminism. I dont really want a whole question dedicated to sociql policies or marxism. Why does no one want demography to come up?!

Social policies came up last year
Is the Education paper on the 17th May?
Original post by OliwierEB
Is the Education paper on the 17th May?

I think the new spec is but i don't know about the old spec i though it was on the 23rd May
Original post by Dappteman
I think the new spec is but i don't know about the old spec i though it was on the 23rd May

Yes, I'm doing the specification starting in September 2015.
Is learning the coalition government policies from 2010 relevant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eggfriedrice123
Is learning the coalition government policies from 2010 relevant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah comes under educational policies and you never know what the could ask- they could ask about academies and free schools which come under this
Original post by OliwierEB
Lucky, on the 17th May I begin my exams with the Sociology Education paper in the morning (1hr 30 mins) followed by 2 hrs of Geography...

Yeah same I can't wait !!!
Reply 211
Original post by Eleanor1515

Why can't you wait
Original post by Eleanor1515

I have nine exams, and have two each day on three different occasions all before the half term holiday. One good thing is that I don't have any after half term. Good luck to you and all of you.
Original post by xxvine
Why can't you wait

It's going to be such fun...
Original post by xxvine
I don't find it hard it's just all the numbers you have to learn with regards to the population
How did this learn everything ?

stats help but are not completly necessary, just need to understand trends , causes and consequences
Original post by Hariex
I'm not sure. Evaluation is a critique, though critiques are not necessarily criticisms. You could probably gain evaluation marks by explaining why a particular theory is strong, though most people don't because it is hard to distinguish this from AO1 and a counter perspective is explicit evaluation.

I agree, just think its harder to evaluate positively
Is anyone doing SCLY1 culture and identity, and SCLY2 education as re-sits so old specification???
Anyone have any predictions for the Essay Questions in SCLY1 for the old spec?

Have any of your teachers guessed what it is most likely to be?
Reply 218
Original post by student.GOT
Anyone have any predictions for the Essay Questions in SCLY1 for the old spec?

Have any of your teachers guessed what it is most likely to be?

It seems feminism, couples, demography may come up
Predictions for Unit 2 Education on Tuesday 24th May 2016?

I got an A in the families paper last year, and a C in the education paper so need to boost my grade in this second paper.

I'm guessing government education policies won't come up as the 20 mark essay as it came up last year.

What have your teachers been saying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending