The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 1 17/05 & Unit 2 23/05 - Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

okay so i had psychology today and sociology tomorrow, i feel like i know nothing for sociology!! anybody have any predictions? or help xx
Original post by Workangel_24
You only have to learn about 3/4 theorists for all the theories e.g. For Marxists = Althusser, Bowles and Gintis, Bernstein etc.

God, I'm so going to fail. :cry:
Original post by GeorgiaStardust!
Is citing the specific sociologists really important? I can't remember them for the life of me. :cry:

Good luck for tomorrow, everyone.

Try to include as least 4-5. :smile:
Guys, are education policies eg GIST, WISE, Reform Act etc internal or external factors? Please help!
Original post by 10studentlife
Try to include as least 4-5. :smile:

Do you think that'll be alright? :smile:

Maybe if I study some more now, I'll be able to remember...but I've also got another exam tomorrow -.-
Reply 345
Does anyone have any predictions for the exam tomorrow???
Do you think that'll be alright? :smile:

Maybe if I study some more now, I'll be able to remember...but I've also got another exam tomorrow -.-

Thats what my teacher said! Just use key terms. I usually do 4 points one of each theorist a bit of evaluation on the end and to counter it another theorist.. but you dont have to. Just try your best, and try to get all the short answers right as they will help add up your marks :smile:
Original post by 10studentlife
Thats what my teacher said! Just use key terms. I usually do 4 points one of each theorist a bit of evaluation on the end and to counter it another theorist.. but you dont have to. Just try your best, and try to get all the short answers right as they will help add up your marks :smile:

How do u answer the 4 and 6 mark questions? Do u just list the reasons or do u also explain them?
So I've tried to do a rough time breakdown based on the specimen paper:

1st question: 2 marks - 5 minutes
2nd question: 2 marks - 5 minutes
3rd question: 6 marks - 10 minutes
4th question: 10 marks - 15 minutes
5th question: 20 marks - 25 minutes
6th question: 20 marks - 25 minutes

5 minutes spare. (to check over paper, remember to breathe, plan, etc.)

Does this sound silly? Do you think the time allocation is balanced?
So I've tried to do a rough time breakdown based on the specimen paper:

1st question: 2 marks - 5 minutes
2nd question: 2 marks - 5 minutes
3rd question: 6 marks - 10 minutes
4th question: 10 marks - 15 minutes
5th question: 20 marks - 25 minutes
6th question: 20 marks - 25 minutes

5 minutes spare. (to check over paper, remember to breathe, plan, etc.)

Does this sound silly? Do you think the time allocation is balanced?

Aw man I thought there was only one two market
The two specimen papers' 20 markers were on ethnicity and achievement and internal factors affecting achievement - so are educational policy and the role of education in society most likely to be the 20 markers? (I may be alone in saying this but I hope so!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elegantelephant
The two specimen papers' 20 markers were on ethnicity and achievement an
d internal factors affecting achievement - so are educational policy and the role of education in society most likely to be the 20 markers? (I may be alone in saying this but I hope so!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

What exactly do you mean by ed policies I hope that's not a 20 marker! The specimen papers were great bet this paper will be horrible
Anyone doing Culture and Identity resit??
whats privatisation of efucation?
Do we have to mention dates when referring to sociologists?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 355
Original post by starshine909
How do u answer the 4 and 6 mark questions? Do u just list the reasons or do u also explain them?

List
You don't need to explain them
Original post by starshine909

Four markers only appear on pure research methods (paper 2). A bit of both, really - you state the reason and then give a line of explanation. For example, if the question was 'Give 3 reasons for the increase in girls' achievement', you'd say 'introduction of coursework' as your point, and then explain by saying 'girls are generally more conscientious workers than boys, so the introduction of coursework benefits them more as it's a longer project than exams, which raises their achievement' - just make a link back to the question. Both the 4 and 6 markers work the same way - you'll just have 2 or 3 reasons/examples respectively.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
List
You don't need to explain them

If your doing the new spec there is no 4 marker and for the 6 marker you do need to explain
Original post by EXAMSRESS2015
whats privatisation of efucation?

Where state ceases to be provider of ed instead it commissions priv companies to provide services! Academies, free schools etc
Original post by Bubbles98
What exactly do you mean by ed policies I hope that's not a 20 marker! The specimen papers were great bet this paper will be horrible

Different policies throughout the years - e.g. tripartite system 1944; comprehensivisation 1965; marketisation 1988; New Labour continued marketisation; coalition free schools and academies. Not sure how it'd work as a 20 marker though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending