The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 1 17/05 & Unit 2 23/05 - Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bubbles98
Aw man I thought there was only one two market

First two-marker is just a definition question, in the second one you have to briefly explain something using an example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I'm doing the SCLY 1 OLD spec tomorrow on Families and Households. Does anyone have any last minute predictions for what they think will come up? Trying to rule out some stuff
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by starshine909
How do u answer the 4 and 6 mark questions? Do u just list the reasons or do u also explain them?

Its just bullet points i.e. outline three policies... I dont think we have 4 mark questions.
Aw man I thought there was only one two market

It looks like there'll be two, One "define X" and one "explain X with example".

I'm basing this on the new spec specimen.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/sociology/AQA-71911-SMS.PDF
Original post by GeorgiaStardust!
So I've tried to do a rough time breakdown based on the specimen paper:

1st question: 2 marks - 5 minutes
2nd question: 2 marks - 5 minutes
3rd question: 6 marks - 10 minutes
4th question: 10 marks - 15 minutes
5th question: 20 marks - 25 minutes
6th question: 20 marks - 25 minutes

5 minutes spare. (to check over paper, remember to breathe, plan, etc.)

Does this sound silly? Do you think the time allocation is balanced?

5 minutes for a 2 marker? That's ridiculous - don't waste your time. 2 markers will literally be about 2 lines long (3-4 if you waffle) and should take you about 30 seconds, provided you have revised.

Your timing for Q3+4 is good, but allocate more time for your essay questions. Spend a good 2-3 minutes per essay to thoroughly plan, you get marks for ensuring your essay is coherently written meaning that it must follow a logical structure and include only RELEVANT information - don't fall into the trap of not making a plan and then waffling pointless information that isn't needed. Also remember to write in paragraphs so it flows better :smile:
I'm doing the old spec, and there is a 4 and 6 marker :smile:
Original post by Socychoictraphy
5 minutes for a 2 marker? That's ridiculous - don't waste your time. 2 markers will literally be about 2 lines long (3-4 if you waffle) and should take you about 30 seconds, provided you have revised.

Your timing for Q3+4 is good, but allocate more time for your essay questions. Spend a good 2-3 minutes per essay to thoroughly plan, you get marks for ensuring your essay is coherently written meaning that it must follow a logical structure and include only RELEVANT information - don't fall into the trap of not making a plan and then waffling pointless information that isn't needed. Also remember to write in paragraphs so it flows better :smile:

So maybe if I shave off 2-3 mins from the first two, and use them to plan for the essay questions?
Original post by Socychoictraphy

Spent 30 mins in each section, this way you can have 5 mins to plan the 20 mark essays :P
Can someone suggest and predict what may be a 20 marker??
Original post by starshine909
I'm doing the old spec, and there is a 4 and 6 marker :smile:

In which case, ignore what I said about it being in pure research methods (I don't know how the old spec works) but the structure is still the same. :smile:
Original post by elegantelephant
The two specimen papers' 20 markers were on ethnicity and achievement and internal factors affecting achievement - so are educational policy and the role of education in society most likely to be the 20 markers? (I may be alone in saying this but I hope so!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is the role of education
Original post by elegantelephant
In which case, ignore what I said about it being in pure research methods (I don't know how the old spec works) but the structure is still the same. :smile:

The new spec is education with methods in context?
Reply 372
Does dates of the theorist matter
Original post by 10studentlife

Different perspectives on the role of education in society - e.g. functionalism, New Right, Marxism (feminism doesn't have an opinion on its role, it just focuses on gender inequality within the school).
This thread is getting confusing
For those who are doing the old spec only, follow this new thread
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4088577&p=64848585#post64848585

There's a few perspectives to it like func, new right and Marx ! I hate this topic and hope it isn't the essay
There's a few perspectives to it like func, new right and Marx ! I hate this topic and hope it isn't the essay

Ugh same. What do you predict for methods?
The new spec is education with methods in context?

What do you mean? I told starshine909 that the only 4 marker in the new spec appears in paper 2, but as they're doing the old spec then there is a 4 marker in tomorrow's paper - either way, the structure of the 4 and 6 markers are the same. :smile:
Ugh same. What do you predict for methods?

Idk haven't really looked over methods in context in a few days I hate it so much I don't get how to structure it any ideas?
Original post by Dnk077
Does dates of the theorist matter

For the sociologists? Not unless you want to evaluate it, e.g. to criticise it for being outdated and not applicable to postmodern society (e.g. Durkheim and Parsons' theories). You need to know the dates of important policies though, both for education and family.

Quick Reply

Latest