The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 1 17/05 & Unit 2 23/05 - Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Power and control, demography and personal life apparently from what im gathering on here. Now that this has been mentioned - these were the only two topics (demography and personal life) our teacher gave us for revision booklets - seems like their all in the know. Hopefully this isn't right 😭
Sorry just read you were old spec
Original post by Bubbles98
Is the sociology of personal life wth couples ?? Like the meanings attached to who controls money etc

My teacher also predicts demography and they were spot on with the education ones even the method for methods in context was one my teacher kept telling us to focus on
Yeah i do think the paper wont be a nice one because the ed one was so good

Er, no.
Sociology of personal life is the one that is like a post modernist/interactionist view. Bottom up approach.It critiques the other structural theories as being too deterministic and ignoring family diversity

Key theorists -

Smart (2007):
blood isn't thicker than water
prefers term 'personal life' rather than family as its more neutral and flexible, avoids idea of so-called 'ideal' family model
includes a wide range of structures such as LATs, families created by Reproductive Technologies like donor conception, fictive kin, reconstituted, same-sex, pets, friends, social media, lone-parents etc.

Hareven (2000):Life course might affect the structure and dynamics of family life in a number of ways (e.g. Child might experience nuclear family from childhood to adolescence but a lone-parent after because his parents might separate or divorce)

Pahl and Spencer (2001):The concept of 'family' is no longer useful to describe personal relationships in the 21st century
prefer term 'personal communities' - made up of a combination of relatives and fictive kin
Original post by Louise12307
Er, no.
Sociology of personal life is the one that is like a post modernist/interactionist view. Bottom up approach.It critiques the other structural theories as being too deterministic and ignoring family diversity

Key theorists -

Smart (2007):
blood isn't thicker than water
prefers term 'personal life' rather than family as its more neutral and flexible, avoids idea of so-called 'ideal' family model
includes a wide range of structures such as LATs, families created by Reproductive Technologies like donor conception, fictive kin, reconstituted, same-sex, pets, friends, social media, lone-parents etc.

Hareven (2000):Life course might affect the structure and dynamics of family life in a number of ways (e.g. Child might experience nuclear family from childhood to adolescence but a lone-parent after because his parents might separate or divorce)

Pahl and Spencer (2001):The concept of 'family' is no longer useful to describe personal relationships in the 21st century
prefer term 'personal communities' - made up of a combination of relatives and fictive kin

Er, yes?

The PLP does look at couples. The individual you quoted was correct because Smart talks about homosexual couples not seeing the control of money as meaning either equality or inequality in the relationship as part of the PLP, relating to couples decision-making.
Original post by popcornjpg
Er, yes?

The PLP does look at couples. The individual you quoted was correct because Smart talks about homosexual couples not seeing the control of money as meaning either equality or inequality in the relationship as part of the PLP, relating to couples decision-making.

Ah interesting - didn't pick that one up, my apologies!
I have Pahl and Vogler on decision making so I guess I didn't pick up any others - unless we mean the same thing but i didn't know that personal life covered decision making.
Ah interesting - didn't pick that one up, my apologies!
I have Pahl and Vogler on decision making so I guess I didn't pick up any others - unless we mean the same thing but i didn't know that personal life covered decision making.

Thanks for clearing that up both of yous 😃 I was worried there im using rob webbs revision guide and that stuff about couple was in it so i got confused
Any predictions or important knowledge I should know for the Unit 2 Health questions?
What is individualisation and confluent love (f&h)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have an tips or a method to use to for the research methods questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi, I've had a look at some past papers and I wondered if there were any chances that Industrialisation - history of the family could be on the paper? there was no mentions of it on the aqa papers papers but i've got a chunk of notes to revise for it but it seems weird it hasn't been on any papers yet... kind of worried
Original post by bizzy_penguin
hi, I've had a look at some past papers and I wondered if there were any chances that Industrialisation - history of the family could be on the paper? there was no mentions of it on the aqa papers papers but i've got a chunk of notes to revise for it but it seems weird it hasn't been on any papers yet... kind of worried

I'm so worried about this paper too! I have a feeling it isn't going to be a nice one...do you mean like how industrialisation has created need for nuclear fam with geo and soc mobility etc??
Ugh I'm like cryin inside lmao. I still need to revise Demography, Marriage/Divorce/Family Diversity, Childhood, Domestic Labour/Power Relationships in the family. Oh and research methods. Brb while I sCREAM

One question - is the research methods questions always discussing the strengths and weaknesses of something?
I'm so worried about this paper too! I have a feeling it isn't going to be a nice one...do you mean like how industrialisation has created need for nuclear fam with geo and soc mobility etc??

yeah, & like urbanisation, especially geo & social mobility :smile: its never been on any past papers before
there's also a huge chunk on Young & Willmot as well... :frown:
I've been trying to revise some of the studies & I really hope demography isn't on the paper, despite there being less sociologists for section, just a lot of facts...
how are you feeling about research methods btw? I quite liked the question for the education one
Original post by Sanniabir
Does anyone have an tips or a method to use to for the research methods questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi
for research methods we were told to do:

introduction - reword question, define any key terms, e.g. say group interviews were used in the question - define that

PETPETPET paragraphs - basically practical, ethical, & theoretical advantages & disadvantages of the method, answer question, link to the item, add relevant sociologist studies, maybe compare studies. (also u need to link to the item @ least x3 times or more to get more marks

& a conclusion

also our teacher said you need to include a lot of sociologists in 20 mark questions to get anywhere near full marks otherwise you won't get any more than 6 marks for it.
Reply 754
Really hoping it's childhood or theories..
Ugh I'm like cryin inside lmao. I still need to revise Demography, Marriage/Divorce/Family Diversity, Childhood, Domestic Labour/Power Relationships in the family. Oh and research methods. Brb while I sCREAM

One question - is the research methods questions always discussing the strengths and weaknesses of something?

Yeah like it might ask you what are assess the strengths of soc using questionnaires for their research and then you would evaluate as you go along with weaknesses or vice versa

I hate all this globalisation and migration i can never remember it all 😭
hi
for research methods we were told to do:

introduction - reword question, define any key terms, e.g. say group interviews were used in the question - define that

PETPETPET paragraphs - basically practical, ethical, & theoretical advantages & disadvantages of the method, answer question, link to the item, add relevant sociologist studies, maybe compare studies. (also u need to link to the item @ least x3 times or more to get more marks

& a conclusion

also our teacher said you need to include a lot of sociologists in 20 mark questions to get anywhere near full marks otherwise you won't get any more than 6 marks for it.

Yeah i think its at least 5 names to get the marks for it
yeah, & like urbanisation, especially geo & social mobility :smile: its never been on any past papers before
there's also a huge chunk on Young & Willmot as well... :frown:
I've been trying to revise some of the studies & I really hope demography isn't on the paper, despite there being less sociologists for section, just a lot of facts...
how are you feeling about research methods btw? I quite liked the question for the education one

Yeah i loved the ed paper apart from the ridiculous timing!! Dreading this one though would love if research methods were questionnaires👌
You're really freaking me out 😭 Where are you getting huge chunks on industrilisation?? Ive got a small paragraph on it for functionalist view 😭😭😭
Yeah i loved the ed paper apart from the ridiculous timing!! Dreading this one though would love if research methods were questionnaires👌

ah questionnaires :biggrin: documents would be quite nice too as would stats
i'm finding the timing OK, so I don't know if that's a good or bad thing tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending