Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should my cousin feel a little guilty or would you day its fine what shes done? Watch

Shes 31, completed a nursing degree (which meant she got the £9000 a year tuition fees paid for by the nhs along with a bursary which was over £500 a month)
    She said she didnt really want to be a nurse throughout her training but completed it anyway as it would open other doors. Shes now studying occupational therapy and getting her tuition fees paid for again by the nhs along with a bursary (though i think its only 200 -300 a month). I hope she does well but i cant help but think the nhs have wasted a load of money on her when they are already tight for money. No doubt other people will have done the same.

ReputationRep:
    What the heck, no she shouldn't feel guilty.It's nothing really to post about but anyway she's going to be a occupational therapist/nurse at the end.
    Even if she became a singer after it, it was her right to do it so she can.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    At least it's going to a good cause. It's the obese, drug addicts and alcoholics that are unnecessarily putting a strain on the NHS through their own lifestyle choices, providing financial aid to adult learners isn't the cause of their financial problems.

ReputationRep:
    If you are desperate enough to avoid getting a real job that you want to live on a £6,000pa bursary into your thirties then you are very much the exception to the rule

(In the case of your sister it sounds like she has genuinely been trying to find her path.)

It is not nearly attractive enough to cause moral hazard. The teaching bribe, however, is a different matter; it has now reached £30,000 tax free plus tuition fee loan on the student loan system, with similarly no obligation to actually become a teacher.

Note that the answer to the NHS being strapped for cash and struggling to deliver care is assuredly not to refuse to train new generations of healthcare professionals. The answer is to stop electing politicians with a financial or ideological interest in running down the NHS ready for asset-stripping and privatised provision.

(Original post by scrotgrot)
    If you are desperate enough to avoid getting a real job that you want to live on a £6,000pa bursary into your thirties then you are very much the exception to the rule

(In the case of your sister it sounds like she has genuinely been trying to find her path.)

It is not nearly attractive enough to cause moral hazard. The teaching bribe, however, is a different matter; it has now reached £30,000 tax free plus tuition fee loan on the student loan system, with similarly no obligation to actually become a teacher.

Note that the answer to the NHS being strapped for cash and struggling to deliver care is assuredly not to refuse to train new generations of healthcare professionals. The answer is to stop electing politicians with a financial or ideological interest in running down the NHS ready for asset-stripping and privatised provision.
    Well that's what the family think she is work shy . Though I think she's finally found her career path as she did mention wanting to be an OT as a child all the way back when I said I wanted to be a professional athlete lol. Nursing was something that I guess our family talked her into since there's a few nurses in the family. I don't know much about teaching will look that one up.

(Original post by Ripe Raspberry)
    What the heck, no she shouldn't feel guilty.It's nothing really to post about but anyway she's going to be a occupational therapist/nurse at the end.
    Even if she became a singer after it, it was her right to do it so she can.
    She wont be a nurse too as she wont have kept up her registration i think they have to have dine so many hours in the past 2 or 3 years (not sure exactly) or dlse they have to retrain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    She wont be a nurse too as she wont have kept up her registration i think they have to have dine so many hours in the past 2 or 3 years (not sure exactly) or dlse they have to retrain.
    Either way she's done what she is allowed to do. It was her right and who cares?
    She'll probably have applied to OT with her nursing degree so either way it still works, a lot of people are in favour of free tuition anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Rather the money go on people who will potentially increase health service staff rather than on those abusing benefits

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.