The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by XiuXiu
Just did this question, thought it was a tough one too actually

I did

There is a crisis:
- Low turnouts, even in referendums such as 2011s AV
- Low party membership, I expanded this by saying that it can be attributed to a very widespread trend of a decrease of public trust in politicians in general, and a lack of identification with party politics causes people to become apathetic in politics

There is not a crisis:
- 2001 had a 59% turnout, but the 2015 and 2011 elections had around a 65% turnout, showing a positive trend. Scots referendum had 84% turnout or something. Turnout does not directly affect participation since there are many ways of participating, pressure groups etc
- A lack of interest in mainstream parties mean that pressure group membership increases. Also is good for smaller parties, Ukip had 3.8 mil votes from voters frustrated about immigration

Conclusion:
- There is not a crisis. It is more the case of an electorate becoming dissatisfied with mainstream politics, and choosing to participate through means such as pressure groups instead.
- Also made mention of methods of potential reform. E.g mandatory voting, 16-17 y/o voting. Etc. (unsure if this should be a separate, non conclusion paragraph??)

thank youu
Original post by popcornjpg
no for ****s sake - people who are starting a course arent expected to know things? its great if they do but thats what the course is for. whatever, I don't know how you're not grasping what im trying to tell you

am I writing an essay for you or something m8?

I think you voting to leave detracts from your point :wink:
no for ****s sake - people who are starting a course arent expected to know things? its great if they do but thats what the course is for. whatever, I don't know how you're not grasping what im trying to tell you

guys come on we are here to help each other, lets just stick to politics and asking questions to help each other and not bash each other
Original post by alevelpain
I think you voting to leave detracts from your point :wink:

ayy lmao

wanna debate about it? lets go right now m8
ayy lmao

wanna debate about it? lets go right now m8

wouldn't want to upset you right before your politics exam :wink:

But youre expected to know the Labour is a party .... what ******* doesnt know that. The way youre arguing probably yourself
wouldn't want to upset you right before your politics exam :wink:

i'll do it friday mate, on teamspeak, skype or something. if you're not willing to debate someone on a topic, don't bash them for supporting a stance?
Reply 867
hey guys what recent examples are you using for unit 1?
i'll do it friday mate, on teamspeak, skype or something. if you're not willing to debate someone on a topic, don't bash them for supporting a stance?

i was just being sarcastic jeez :tongue:
i was just being sarcastic jeez :tongue:

yeah im sure :P
Reply 870
Original post by XiuXiu
Just did this question, thought it was a tough one too actually

I did

There is a crisis:
- Low turnouts, even in referendums such as 2011s AV
- Low party membership, I expanded this by saying that it can be attributed to a very widespread trend of a decrease of public trust in politicians in general, and a lack of identification with party politics causes people to become apathetic in politics

There is not a crisis:
- 2001 had a 59% turnout, but the 2015 and 2011 elections had around a 65% turnout, showing a positive trend. Scots referendum had 84% turnout or something. Turnout does not directly affect participation since there are many ways of participating, pressure groups etc
- A lack of interest in mainstream parties mean that pressure group membership increases. Also is good for smaller parties, Ukip had 3.8 mil votes from voters frustrated about immigration

Conclusion:
- There is not a crisis. It is more the case of an electorate becoming dissatisfied with mainstream politics, and choosing to participate through means such as pressure groups instead.
- Also made mention of methods of potential reform. E.g mandatory voting, 16-17 y/o voting. Etc. (unsure if this should be a separate, non conclusion paragraph??)

Another example you could use is the membership increase when Corbyn was elected labour leader. I think there were like 50,000 new members in a couple of days.
His attention was and is to take labour to their traditional left wing grass roots therefore people will participate when politics appeals to them. Too many parties move from their traditions to appeal to non/floating voters....
Original post by xxvine
Another example you could use is the membership increase when Corbyn was elected labour leader. I think there were like 50,000 new members in a couple of days.
His attention was and is to take labour to their traditional left wing grass roots therefore people will participate when politics appeals to them. Too many parties move from their traditions to appeal to non/floating voters....

good idea I agree, I think Corbyn would be a pretty versatile point actually (in that you could use it for a decent amount of questions). A lot of the genuine left is now excited to vote for Corbyn, whereas many of them really disliked the centre-ness of Miliband.

However, at the same time, it annoyed a bunch of New Labour people and put the party into a bit of a shambles (should really know much more about details on this than I do...)
Original post by Bennybt
hey guys what recent examples are you using for unit 1?

All the stats from the gen election, you can find them online in plenty of places ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm so stressed about this exam, everyone else seems so calm :ahhhhh:
Guys I'm not panicking but we're all gunna die
Reply 875
Original post by XiuXiu
good idea I agree, I think Corbyn would be a pretty versatile point actually (in that you could use it for a decent amount of questions). A lot of the genuine left is now excited to vote for Corbyn, whereas many of them really disliked the centre-ness of Miliband.

However, at the same time, it annoyed a bunch of New Labour people and put the party into a bit of a shambles (should really know much more about details on this than I do...)

Yepppp Bravo!
I actually think Miliband was pretty left
The media just hated him lol Smh
Original post by xxvine
Yepppp Bravo!
I actually think Miliband was pretty left
The media just hated him lol Smh

If you have Blair to your right, and Corbyn to your left, Miliband was in the middle I'd say
The media hates Corbyn more, it's just harder to come up with headlines for him since his face isn't as insanely awkward. That said, easier to fearmonger Corbyn as a Communist
I don't know what thread it was on but there was a question about ways that political participation in the uk has declined and I did it in class and my teacher marked it and gave me some extra points so I've attached it for you to show where I could've got more marks and so you won't make the same mistakes as me!!

I didn't agree with him about mentioning the ways participation hasn't declined but you tell me if you think it's suitable to do?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465152590.124440.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 879
If you have any questions about anything in unit 1 ask

Quick Reply

Latest