The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tom476zf
i understand how FPTP and HOL affect democracy, but not how they affect liberal democracy could someone explain please

The idea of liberal democracy is focused on the individual. Where unaccountable ( Lords ) can affect our lives and we have nothing in our power to stop them it's not that fair, moreover undemocratic.

For a level like this AS exam if you base it on how it can affect the rights of the individual that's liberal democracy.
Original post by Tazz.xoxo
Mine says Germany is liberal and USA is pluralist

You can in theory be both.
Original post by EricAteYou
The idea of liberal democracy is focused on the individual. Where unaccountable ( Lords ) can affect our lives and we have nothing in our power to stop them it's not that fair, moreover undemocratic.

For a level like this AS exam if you base it on how it can affect the rights of the individual that's liberal democracy.

thankyou :smile:
You could refer to the fact that the HR Act can be repealed at any time because it's not entrenched. Also the fact that the Conservatives want to replace the HR Act with a 'British Bill of Rights', as stated in their 2015 manifesto.
Original post by UKStudent17
You could refer to the fact that the HR Act can be repealed at any time because it's not entrenched. Also the fact that the Conservatives want to replace the HR Act with a 'British Bill of Rights', as stated in their 2015 manifesto.

Though currently we still have to abide by the ECHR. The HRA just allowed our courts not European courts to take UK cases on HR issues.
Original post by alevelpain
For to what extent are we a liberal democracy:

We are because HR Act & FTPA restrict the power of Parliament -> HR act protects civil liberties, FTPA means elections are free and fair since set date
Regular elections at multiple levels each contested by several parties

Not because uncodified constitution, not equal votes and recent electoral fraud questions whether they are free and fair?

then link uncodified to hra not being entrenched as it is basically a statute so rights not protected from the sovereignty of parliament. i think
Original post by Sarpedon
Thank you! In this case, I will stick to two. Obviously everyone knows democracy; which other topic did you revise?

elections :smile:, good luck for tomorrow
Reply 1047
Is it just me whose nervous lol
I'm scared
arguments in favour of proportional representation?
Original post by xxvine
I'm scared

You and me both! :s-smilie:
I feel like I'm the only person out there who isnt doing democracy

Elections and Pressure groups for me
Reply 1051
Do you think we will get a question on representative democracy?
See you all on the other side - good luck!
evaluate recent attempts to improve democracy

would it be ok to talk about reforms from 1997 onwards or does this need a more current approach
Reply 1054
Original post by tom476zf
evaluate recent attempts to improve democracy

would it be ok to talk about reforms from 1997 onwards or does this need a more current approach

What year is that from?
Never seen a question phrases like that lol
Good luck everyone, get a good night sleep and do your best tomorrow :smile:
Original post by xxvine
What year is that from?
Never seen a question phrases like that lol

someone just post it in the thread as a possible question ahah
Original post by xxvine
I'm scared

im crapping myself but i getting worked up wont help matters... if you're prepared or not just go into the exam and hope for the best x goodluck<3
Original post by xxvine
Do you think we will get a question on representative democracy?

I personally do with reference to how we use referendums as well or something along those lines
Britain is more of a consultative democracy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollyadtr
I personally do with reference to how we use referendums as well or something along those lines
Britain is more of a consultative democracy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't you think the remit for referendums and representative democracy is too small? It's kind of, public opinion and that's it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending