The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Archangeldemon
So my question is...

What University course could I do if I had one A level in English Language and a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design ?

The question is more about what you're interested in - do you want to carry on down the creative route, look for something creative but vocational or would you prefer something more academic around language and linguistics?

There's a range of degrees you can get on to with those specific qualifications, if your interests are outside that then there's a lot of options beyond those subjects if you're motivated and are willing to take a foundation year or another year of college/sixth form to take other qualifications.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
So my question is...

What University course could I do if I had one A level in English Language and a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design ?

There would be hundreds of courses that you could get on to, you need to be a bit more specific as to what your ambitions are if you want to get any solid advice
Original post by PQ
The question is more about what you're interested in - do you want to carry on down the creative route, look for something creative but vocational or would you prefer something more academic around language and linguistics?

There's a range of degrees you can get on to with those specific qualifications, if your interests are outside that then there's a lot of options beyond those subjects if you're motivated and are willing to take a foundation year or another year of college/sixth form to take other qualifications.

To be honest I'm actually choosing my route based on which ever gets the better grade.... thats not actually a recommended way of going about things but.....

I want to do either Fine arts or Linguistics ..... are these the kinds of courses offered to me at most universities ? And would I get in to a linguistics course with just one A level in English Language ?
Original post by yt7777
There would be hundreds of courses that you could get on to, you need to be a bit more specific as to what your ambitions are if you want to get any solid advice

I would love to do either Linguistics or Fine Arts ....
But Im worried that a University of fine arts wouldnt take me based on a BTEC Level 3 in art and design, or a University of linguistics wouldnt take me based on just having one English lang. A level....

Does that make sense ?
But Im worried that a University of fine arts wouldnt take me based on a BTEC Level 3 in art and design, or a University of linguistics wouldnt take me based on just having one English lang. A level....

Does that make sense ?

University admissions for fine art will be based almost entirely on your portfolio. With and Extended diploma BTEC and an A level then you shouldn't struggle with any tariff requirement.

Linguistics might be trickier - you're best bet would be to look at the entry requirements for courses you're interested in and if they aren't clear about whether they accept BTECs (plus an A level) then contact them and ask - for example https://www.shef.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=Q3Q12016#qualifications makes entry requirements clear for all A levels or all BTEC but doesn't address a combination.
Original post by PQ
University admissions for fine art will be based almost entirely on your portfolio. With and Extended diploma BTEC and an A level then you shouldn't struggle with any tariff requirement.

Linguistics might be trickier - you're best bet would be to look at the entry requirements for courses you're interested in and if they aren't clear about whether they accept BTECs (plus an A level) then contact them and ask - for example https://www.shef.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=Q3Q12016#qualifications makes entry requirements clear for all A levels or all BTEC but doesn't address a combination.

I understand, Ill research my University options more and even contact them if they dont make their requirments clear.

you have actually helped me alot right now ! Thank you so much ! :smile:
I understand, Ill research my University options more and even contact them if they dont make their requirments clear.

you have actually helped me alot right now ! Thank you so much ! :smile:

No problem. Good luck with your choices.
Reply 8

Does that make sense ?

you wont have a problem getting in to a good uni for Fine Art, it is seen as better than A levels because of the portfolio work, a lot of A level students are made to do an Art Foundation course where as a BTEC applicant already has a substantial portfolio.

Oxford accept the BTEC in Art with DDD grades,

this is what they say:

"...because of the practical nature of the Fine Art degree, which also includes a substantial theoretical component, a candidate who has successfully completed the BTEC may be well suited to the content and structure of the degree course at Oxford."
Original post by yt7777
you wont have a problem getting in to a good uni for Fine Art, it is seen as better than A levels because of the portfolio work, a lot of A level students are made to do an Art Foundation course where as a BTEC applicant already has a substantial portfolio.

Oxford accept the BTEC in Art with DDD grades,

this is what they say:

"...because of the practical nature of the Fine Art degree, which also includes a substantial theoretical component, a candidate who has successfully completed the BTEC may be well suited to the content and structure of the degree course at Oxford."

OMG THAT HELPED ME SO MUCH !!!!!
I always thought that BTEC students should technically be a step a head of A Level students when it came to the creative route BECAUSE of the large amount and quality in their portfolios...
but so many ppl have said A levels will always give u a better choice and first seats in Uni !!!!
x

What do you want to be?
Reply 11
OMG THAT HELPED ME SO MUCH !!!!!
I always thought that BTEC students should technically be a step a head of A Level students when it came to the creative route BECAUSE of the large amount and quality in their portfolios...
but so many ppl have said A levels will always give u a better choice and first seats in Uni !!!!

Not at all, at most unis they will do it on a case by case system.

but yeah that quote was from Oxford university's website (who are ranked 1st for Art in the UK) so that would definitely be worth looking into for Fine Art, just make sure that you have a strong portfolio.

here are the links:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/fine-art?wssl=1

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements/examples-vocational-and-other-qualifications?wssl=1
(edited 8 years ago)
Before anything I would say don't be discouraged by the "academic" or "vocational" stereotypes *cough* bullpoo *cough* that people give you based on taking a btec or an a level. I do A Levels in English Language, Theatre and English Literature and a BTEC in Performing Arts and I've got an offer from Cambridge to study Linguistics next year, despite being told by my sixth form college not to take theatre or language, let alone a BTEC. I chose my options based on what I enjoy and nothing else and I've ended up doing what makes me happy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Georgina.may
Before anything I would say don't be discouraged by the "academic" or "vocational" stereotypes *cough* bullpoo *cough* that people give you based on taking a btec or an a level. I do A Levels in English Language, Theatre and English Literature and a BTEC in Performing Arts and I've got an offer from Cambridge to study Linguistics next year, despite being told by my sixth form college not to take theatre or language, let alone a BTEC. I chose my options based on what I enjoy and nothing else and I've ended up doing what makes me happy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on your offer - it's great to hear about real life people who smash through the snobby assumptions posted on TSR :biggrin:
Reply 14

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is excellent, well done!

I hate when people say you will get nowhere by not doing four A levels that have to all be facilitating subjects, its utter ********, take what you want and if you're good enough you'succeed
Reply 15
BTECs are more valued in the real world, they have higher employability than A levels for both graduates (80% vs 73%) and non graduates (49% vs 45%)

I have secured placement at a really good company and one of the interviewers said that they were impressed by the amount of content that was covered on my BTEC and that it was a good decision that I made to take it instead of A levels as real world practical skills are more valued (after they asked why i did it instead) - thats coming from someone who works in industry (Cyber)

I have also heard the same at a previous placement that I did, where I overheard one of the higher managers talking to my line manager asking about my background and whether training me was going to utilise too much of their time, and my line manager replied "its okay, he has a BTEC" - subsequently that manager offered me a permanent job (part-time around my studies) on my second day there - this was also in an IT role

they are preferred by employers, I also have a friend who got an apprenticeship as a Software Engineer and the first part of the apprenticeship included doing a BTEC level 3 which he already had and got to progress and advance a lot quicker than the people with A levels who spent the first year of their apprenticeship doing the BTEC that they could have done instead of their A levels which were pretty useless as all the initial skills they needed were covered on the BTEC that they could have already done 2+ years previous.

I had friends at college who mocked me for taking BTEC (they did A levels) they said I wouldnt get into uni or get a good job and now a lot of them (who didnt go to uni) are working in unskilled jobs (mostly supermarkets and restaurants and some in Fast Food chains!) and this summer i will be working in Cyber Security before going back to uni to finish the last 1/2 years of my MSci degree

Funny isnt it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yt7777
x

It depends what line of work you want to go into. For example, if you wanted to be a Biology professor you would need A-Levels. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats Fantastic !!!!
I'm feeling really motivated now and confidant in my academic choices !
Just got to get the grades im aiming from now lol
Reply 18
Original post by Ribenas
It depends what line of work you want to go into. For example, if you wanted to be a Biology professor you would need A-Levels. :smile:

No you wouldnt, not necessarily

you could do a BTEC in Applied Biology go on to study Biological Sciences (or similar) at university and then as the undergrad degree is a BSc you could move straight to PhD and become a professor in a university
Original post by yt7777
No you wouldnt, not necessarily

you could do a BTEC in Applied Biology go on to study Biological Sciences (or similar) at university and then as the undergrad degree is a BSc you could move straight to PhD and become a professor in a university

Wouldn't* or would not :laugh:

Latest