Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I've just placed hull as my firm choice after attending an applicant day and being very impressed.
    I am really concerned about accommodation though. I'm not really bothered about anything accommodation wise except meals - my only stiplulation is I need to be 100% self catered. I'm unable to eat dairy and certain types of starch, especially potatoes, which makes life incredibly difficult when it comes to having meals prepared for me.
    When I attended the applicant day they showed us around the lawns but only accommodation that was catered or semi catered. As far as I'm aware the only self catered halls are Nicholson?

So please give me some advice on what to do! Is Nicholson a decent place to live, online reviews are saying otherwise! Should I go for a semi catered package and just cook for myself anyways? Help me out!
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bee_keziah)
    So, I've just placed hull as my firm choice after attending an applicant day and being very impressed.
    I am really concerned about accommodation though. I'm not really bothered about anything accommodation wise except meals - my only stiplulation is I need to be 100% self catered. I'm unable to eat dairy and certain types of starch, especially potatoes, which makes life incredibly difficult when it comes to having meals prepared for me.
    When I attended the applicant day they showed us around the lawns but only accommodation that was catered or semi catered. As far as I'm aware the only self catered halls are Nicholson?

So please give me some advice on what to do! Is Nicholson a decent place to live, online reviews are saying otherwise! Should I go for a semi catered package and just cook for myself anyways? Help me out!
    Thanks in advance
    I don't think Nicholson Hall is that bad, I've heard some good reviews about it too. I wasn't in that hall but I really loved living at the Lawns.

Also I think it's probably worth checking out the new on-site accommodation that I think will be opening for the 2016 intake. This is all self-catered and should be really nice.

Other self-catered options are Taylor Court (though this is mainly used by international students) and shared houses. Personally I would recommend one of the Halls (either the Lawns or the new one) as I think it's better to meet people but it is up to you. It's probably not worth going into a semi-catered hall if you're not going to eat their food.

ReputationRep:
    there is also space on the Accomodation forms to say if you require en-suite or self-catered for any medical/specific reasons and they'll try to accommodate this for you, as mentioned earlier there is the new build which is fully en-suite and self-catered, and Taylor court too, the lawns also has Nicholson as the self-catered block.
    You can always contact them if you have any enquiries

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation due to food allergies as well (dairy and certain proteins) and as such i'm looking at the new accommodation or Taylor courts.

Mainly due the fact they're self catered but also the fact i need a long contract as i'll be studying MH Nursing and don't fancy stundent housing for 1st year if i can help it.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I'm likely to be living at home so I didn't bother looking at the accommodation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.