Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Over time I've slowly been pushed into a IT/computer science area, i ended up doing IT BTEC extended diploma at college. Whilst i got 3 D*s (sort of equivalent to 3A*s at A-level) i never really had a huge passion for learning how computers work and coding etc.
    I chose to do Computer Science at a top 10 UK uni but i'm pretty sure i'm now failing the year and i'm not even sure i want to pass, i just find every single topic so boring and uninteresting that it makes it very difficult to learn and be motivated. I'd like to get a degree but probably not in Computer Science, i'm also not a big fan on the method of learning and the general, enclosed environment of the uni (I came here because friends were, that turned out to be a mistake).
    I was thinking maybe i could move to a different uni that i actually really liked the look of when i went to its open day last year and change to Accounting and Finance or something like that (i heard there isn't really any advanced algebra in Accounting/Finance, and i'm great at everything with maths except algebra, loved statistics stuff at GCSE level).
    Basically will a top 20 UK uni (such as Nottingham) let me study there after failing the first year at another uni on a different course, and i also am worried about age when i start, if i fail my first year here, does that mean i'l have to miss an entire year next year (and start uni at 20 Y/O or is there a way i can apply to start this coming Sep/Oct?) and finally what should i expect with Student Finance loans etc? any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If you hate the course and want to do another degree at another university then I think it would be better to drop out rather than carry on and fail your exams. I don't know if 'top 20' universities would accept you if you failed your first year, you'd have to ask them. I suppose it would really depend on the degree you applied for; if you choose computer science again or a similar subject then Nottingham may well be wary.

You've technically missed the deadline for this year's applications, although it is still possible to apply. It doesn't sound like you are sure what you want to study and you absolutely can't afford to choose the wrong subject again. I think you should take a year out and think about what you actually want to do. Research subjects thoroughly, visit universities/departments, talk to people, maybe get a part-time job or look for an internship in a field you're interested in. Test the waters before you commit to a degree.

This is the formula Student Finance use for assessing how many years of loans you can get: length of degree - years of previous study + 1 'gift' year = loan entitlement. You would still get a loan for a full degree if you dropped out, but this would be your last chance so make the most of it.

ReputationRep:
    You can still apply through UCAS for this sept/oct, some people do apply late or use clearing which begins in June/July

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.