Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was pretty easy

................................ ................................ ...
    so far the majority got...

1)[definitions of a sampling frame and a statistic]

2)a)0.74

3)0.0713

4)c) 0.1216 d) 0.0024 e) Mean = 2 Variance = 1.8

5)

6)

7)Median = 1.4 Mean = 1.27
    ................................ ................................ ...

ReputationRep:
    yo bro russian ! mind getting a russian flag and putting it on as your avatar

i thought it was extrmely easy and even easier than last jan..
    i finished the entire paper and had like 45 inutes left to spare for me to sleep or check my answers...went to about 3 toilet breaks and played with my flexy curve for awhile..

i think the first 6 question was a piss....but the last one was a little choppy
    did you guys get it as a negative skew?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I thought it was pretty nice.

Especially after _royally_ screwing up P5 on monday, I needed a confidence boost.

A few things to compare:

I kept H0 on both hypothesis tests.

For the continuous random variable I got F(x) equal to x/3 for the first block then (2/45)(x^4) + 13/45 for the second part. I got out a median of 1.48 and guessed the skew was -ve because mean < median.

-Proteus

ReputationRep:
    yo bro russian ! mind getting a russian flag and putting it on as your avatar
    did that

For the continuous random variable I got F(x) equal to x/3 for the first block then 2x^4/45 + 13/45 for the second part. I got out a median of 1.48 and guessed the skew was -ve because mean < median.
    i got a greater value for the median, the rest i got the same as you

ReputationRep:
    yea it was ok, i screwed up the last bit cos of some stupid mistake but the rest was pretty good.

No one forgot the continuity correction for going from a poisson to a normal did they? That was about the trickiest bit of the paper.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: I put scewness as positive.

I thought that as median was higher than mean, that means at least 50% is above the mean?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=davedave]:eek: I put scewness as positive.

Yea i done the same as you, but everyone else was sayin it was negative cos they got the median as 1.4 or something

ReputationRep:
    i put the skewness as negative and got the same c.d.f as already mentioned, yay i thougt id f***ked that bit up!! wot about the mean, wot did people do/get for that?? otherwise piss easy paper - i hope i blagged the wordy questions enough!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davedave)
    :eek: I put scewness as positive.

I thought that as median was higher than mean, that means at least 50% is above the mean?
    i put the same, but i think its wrong

ReputationRep:
    i got a median of 1.4 something....

ReputationRep:
    yeah i made the continuity thing 0.5 lower so that it made the area bigger as it was like "bigger than or equal to"

ReputationRep:
    yer the median was 1.476 and the mean was 1.2 something, and with a mode of 2: mean < median < mode which means negatively skewed.

that was a lot easier than Jan and last year's - finished in 35 minutes so i just checked over everything.

Result!

ReputationRep:
    yea that's rite. The median(1.4) was greater then the mean (1.21111? i think) therefore negative skew

ReputationRep:
    **** i made a mistake on the mode...i put the 2 in the f(x) and gave that answer instead!! would it make a difference as the mode was still the largest number and i wrote:

mean<median<mode and said it was negative skew....:-S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    wot about the mean, wot did people do/get for that?? otherwise piss easy paper - i hope i blagged the wordy questions enough!!
    I got a mean of (571/450), or about 1.27 if you don't like fractions.

-Proteus

ReputationRep:
    The grade boundaries will probly go up rite, but by how much does n e one think? I reckon bout 64/75 for an A, sounds rite?

ReputationRep:
    yep 571/450 was exactly what i got.

ReputationRep:
    What about mean? I got 1.269, (571/450).

And median of 1.476

Edit: nm questions all got answered while I was posting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proteus)
    I got a mean of (571/450), or about 1.27 if you don't like fractions.

-Proteus
    got the same

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think a got a mean of something like that. remind me how u did ures as i'm not sure if it was right, i simply integrated f(x) times x , with the limits being the 2 and 1......:-S....which i thought seemed v. wrong!!

and with the median i made F(x) ( the bit that was between 2 and 1) equal 0.5

again seemed a bit wrong, but at the same time, sort of right...!!!

please settle my mind. it may be wrong, but i dont care!!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 26, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.