Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    yeah i think a got a mean of something like that. remind me how u did ures as i'm not sure if it was right, i simply integrated f(x) times x , with the limits being the 2 and 1......:-S....which i thought seemed v. wrong!!

and with the median i made F(x) ( the bit that was between 2 and 1) equal 0.5

again seemed a bit wrong, but at the same time, sort of right...!!!

please settle my mind. it may be wrong, but i dont care!!
    yea i integrated the first part as well i.e. x times 1/3 between 0 and 1
    and also the stuff wot u sed as well, then got my final answer for the mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaKe)
    yea i integrated the first part as well i.e. x times 1/3 between 0 and 1
    and also the stuff wot u sed as well, then got my final answer for the mean
    but thats wot i think i got wrong, as i didnt do anything with the 1/3 bit. i thought about it, but then couldnt work out what i would do with it to get the mean. so i JUST used the answer from the integration times x of the line below (between 1 and 2)

oh well, hopefully got some of the marks

ReputationRep:
    here are some answers that i can remember

4)c)0.1216 d)0.0024 e)mean=2, variance=1.8
    3) 0.5754

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RussianDude)
    here are some answers that i can remember

4)c)0.1216 d)0.0024 e)mean=2, variance=1.8
    3) 0.5754
    4c) - I got 0.122, so yep i agree
    4d) - i got 0.0024, yep
    4e) mean = 2, variance = 1.8 - yep
    3) 0.0713. i'm not sure where your answer comes from, it was a hypothesis test so i wouldn't expect the result to be that far away from 0.05 . . .

-Proteus

ReputationRep:
    i dont have a paper, i really cant remember. is there anywhere online that quickly works out and publishes the answers to the papers - how much would i love a person who did that!! cos its so difficult to asses how many marks you could be allocated from a wrong answer...grrr

ReputationRep:
    i got 0.07 something, i remember that both of the hypothesis has u keeping the ho hypothesis, as the results werent significant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proteus)
    4c) - I got 0.122, so yep i agree
    4d) - i got 0.0024, yep
    4e) mean = 2, variance = 1.8 - yep
    3) 0.0713. i'm not sure where your answer comes from, it was a hypothesis test so i wouldn't expect the result to be that far away from 0.05 . . .

-Proteus
    Yea i got that 2, 0.0713 but i rejected H0!!!! why? i dunno anotha stupid mistake.

ReputationRep:
    I put minus 3 over 45 for the last cumulative thingy instead of plus 3 over 45 how many marks will i lose for this?
    Both tests were not sig therefore keep H0

ReputationRep:
    its 13/45 mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2Pacalypse)
    I put minus 3 over 45 for the last cumulative thingy instead of plus 3 over 45 how many marks will i lose for this?
    Both tests were not sig therefore keep H0

Yea u mite, because then ur F(x) doesn't add up to 1 like its supposed to.

ReputationRep:
    yer ditto mike

ReputationRep:
    oh crap...think i messed up the firt hypothesis testing and most of the last question. I'm thinkin the max i can get is 61...will that be enough for an A?

ReputationRep:
    yep....JUST!!

if u get everything else spot on, which includes getting the wordy questions correct- some of those examiners are a bit harsh!!

ReputationRep:
    i need an average of 83% out of S1, S2 AND P3 - as i got 79% for M1, 79% for P2 and 73% for P1....hopefully i should get nearer the 90's on the papers so i wud have a comfy margin - but u can never be too sure!!
    it would b sooo annoying to be so close to and A but not quite, it would make me think, "why did i even f**king bother!!" as no-one will know you worked for an A. they'll just think ure an average B person...grrr

ReputationRep:
    am i right that you keep H0 both both tests?

ReputationRep:
    kept H0 on both hypothesis tests.

yeah same here

For the continuous random variable I got F(x) equal to x/3 for the first block then (2/45)(x^4) + 13/45 for the second part. I got out a median of 1.48 and guessed the skew was -ve because mean < median.

same here

Thought it was a very nice paper tbh.

Bit disappointed that i got the mean as 1 and the continuity correction the rong way but i think it was a very nice paper.

The median question was a bit tricky tho, but everyone seems to have got 1.48

ReputationRep:
    I thought the paper was ok, but theres one question that really bugged me. Question 6, you had a mean 0.05, then for part a) I approximated it as normal. Then for parts b) and c) I did binomial, cos I didnt understnd how you do p(x = 2) for normal.
    For d) I used normal.

Could someone tell me if I was right or wrong?

ReputationRep:
    indeed, you are correct

That was either the easiest S2 paper I have ever sat or it was the hardest. I think I did everything correctly but I kept waiting for a difficult git of a question and it just didn't seem to happen (think I might have failed due to the fact that I found it too easy).... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I got F(x) equal to x/3 for the first block then (2/45)(x^4) + 13/45 for the second part

I think you forgot to put and extra 1/3 for the second part

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 26, 2004

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.