How was Edexcel S2? Watch

This discussion is closed.
DaKe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by clare_m)
my god, why do people make it sooo difficult, ure find the area of the rectangle so length of base x length of height....so (2.7 - -1) x 1/5 = 0.74
ITS OBVIOUS
...lets stop discussing it....
If u read more carefully then u shud notice that i was only correcting what Russiandude had said was the answer, i.e. 0.54 when it should have been 0.74.
ShadowStorm
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hmm not that I need this exam. I was fine on the first 6 questions, made a silly mistake on the last question (when integrating, I didn't think to chuck in a +c, which apparently there was).
Oh well, thank goodness for ECF right? I still got negative skewness, they can't mark all the questions wrong, they have to ECF it, thankfully.
clare_m
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i did realise that, but it just confuses people when things are over-complicated. if people are stressed, just lay it out straight and they know if their right or wrong, and wont kid themselves that they might be right! soz if i offended, just wanted to clarify, which was why i used your quote, rather that ignoring what u said and making out i was some master of maths!!
clare_m
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
so what grades do you people need? which uni's you going to? and which courses? i actually only need BBC for a business economics course at exeter but im striving for my A's, anyway!!
DaKe
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yea i see ur point, the way i explained it was a bit wierd....

yea ur way is beta...
chidori
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I know I messed up the last question for sure since I forgot to include the 1/3 part. They had to be so evil and make it all fancy. I would have prefered a straightforward p.d.f question where you simply worked out the mean, variance, c.d.f, median, lower and upper quartiles and the IQR. I know how to do all them so despite not having included the 1/3 thing, I hope I can get some method marks. My lower quartile and median seemed a bit higher than what I have been hearing and my upper quartile was over the upper limit. For the skewness question, I went ahead and drew a box-plot! I suggested that it had a negative skew......

I doubt I will get an A in Maths now to go to King's College for Maths. I'm just hoping for a B, even if it's a crap one so that I still have a good chance at clearing. I got 65 on P2 and did find the P3 paper quite hard but I hope that I have got at least a B on the S2 paper with As in my S1 and P1 resits. I also got a B in my D1 last year. At the moment, I think I'm still on target for ABB.
clare_m
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DaKe)
yea i see ur point, the way i explained it was a bit wierd....

yea ur way is beta...
well....i didnt wanna say that, but yes my way IS better, hee hee. its a girl thing!
clare_m
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
wow a box plot, extravogent. i just used the mean<median<mode thing. tho had loads of time to spare, i did consider drawing the examiner a picture to be nice as i finished in 20 minutes. but decided it would be time better spent looking at the floor or ceiling. i should have done a box plot, i could have coloured it and everything, damn!
chidori
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by clare_m)
wow a box plot, extravogent. i just used the mean<median<mode thing. tho had loads of time to spare, i did consider drawing the examiner a picture to be nice as i finished in 20 minutes. but decided it would be time better spent looking at the floor or ceiling. i should have done a box plot, i could have coloured it and everything, damn!
Well, I remembered that you could use the mean<median<mode thing but I didn't know which way round it was and plus, I would have had no idea of working out the mode, because I have hardly done any questions involving modes in continuous random variables. I also had like 40 minutes to spare as well and went over the paper a few times. I did change one answer though, the 7 marker involving the hypothesis test because of the word 'underestimate'. I didn't exactly know what the H1 was (and please don't tell me, I don't wanna know now!), so I changed it around! Oh well, as long as I get a B....

Btw, for the question where you had to explain what the critical region was or something, did you have to draw a diagram? Because I did and fully labelled it like 'if value appears here, H0 is rejected blah blah blah...'.
Alox
Report 14 years ago
I got the same mean and median. Mean of about 1.27 and median of about 1.47. And I put it was negative skew, because it's always negative skew if median>mean as that means that most of the information is towards the right hand side of the graph.

I completley mucked up q3. I forgot how to do hypothesis test for binomial. Really stupid as that's the easiest one to do. I'll at least get method marks, I hope.
DO you think I will as the methods right, but I've put in one wrong number?
Hingy
Report 14 years ago
For question 6), the one with the carpet, on part d) how come everybody's got the normal approx to be Y~N(17.5,17.5). Me and my friends at school did the approx with lambda as 17.75 since 0.05*355 = 17.75
Is that right?
John Porcella
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by davedave)
For the questions where you had X~B(100,0.1) and you were supposed to approximate it to find P(X > 15) or something, should it have been approximated as normal or poisson?

I thought you could do poisson as "n is large and p is small"
or you could do normal as np > 5 and n(1-p) > 5

so which should've been used? or would either have been ok?
Generally, when n is large and p is small, use the Poisson distribution to approximate a binomial distribution.

You are right that since n is large and np and nq are both >5, then a normal distribution is possible. But some books suggest that p should be close to 0.5, which is why I think that Poisson is preferred. However, I suspect that the examiner shaped the numbers so that both were possible.

John
John Porcella
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Adil Bhai)
PHP Code:
Did you all put (c.cduring normal approximation
Yeah u had to i think but its prob only worth a mark. My main worry for the exam was the prob functions bit but it turned out to be ok. Just hope i don't lose any marks on the hypothesis tests. I know this is a weird question but how did u define a sampling frame - just a list of sampling units
I wrote something like "A list of the data items in a population, such as a school roll."

John
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by John Porcella)
I wrote something like "A list of the data items in a population, such as a school roll."

John
If you used the word list then you are guaranteed the mark for that question I think. :rolleyes:
John Porcella
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by RussianDude)
do "trials" mean the same as "events"? Cos for binomial conditions i said that there must be a fixed number of events, not trials
I wondered that.

I think that they are different.

With Binomial, we tend to think of trials, such as the tossing of a coin. With Poisson, it seems to me to be more geared towards the rate at which an event occurs, e.g. three telephone calls every five minutes.

John
John Porcella
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hingy)
For question 6), the one with the carpet, on part d) how come everybody's got the normal approx to be Y~N(17.5,17.5). Me and my friends at school did the approx with lambda as 17.75 since 0.05*355 = 17.75
Is that right?
17.75 is what I got too!

John
RussianDude
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
17.75 is what I got too!

John
me too
badboy killa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
17.75 is what I got too!

John
But the question was something like P(x>15) and lamda is not tabulated for lamda = 17.75, so are you saying you did a 15 unit long expansion of poission?
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by badboy killa)
But the question was something like P(x>15) and lamda is not tabulated for lamda = 17.75, so are you saying you did a 15 unit long expansion of poission?
Guessing that 17.75 was the value he (s)he used for the Normal.

i.e. (15.5-17.75_/(sqrt17.75) = P(z>0.89) <----Based on memery so it could be incorrect but I seem to remember doing something like that. :confused:
Hingy
Report 14 years ago
Yes, it was the normal approx that I used. Approximating to Poisson didn't occur to me at all. But hopefully both methods should be ok
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (105)
19.48%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
41.19%
Nope, not that interesting (212)
39.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise