The Student Room Group

Maths gcse -everyone with an a/a*!!!

What did you do to revise?
Any good revision techniques?

I am currently in Year 10 and got an A* (Grade 8 now) in my most recent mock exam but don't want to be complacent. :redface:

I am also a bit concerned that I'll end up forgetting things by next year when I actually sit my exam :frown:

What can I do apart from past papers to keep my grades up and any good resources? :smile:

What can I do to ensure I don't forget anything that I've learnt?

Thank you :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RosaA

I got an A* (Grade 8 now) in my most recent mock exam but don't want to be complacent.
What can I do apart from past papers to keep my grades up and any good resources?

If you're going by the numbered system then I'm guessing you're only in year 10? You're already at an excellent stage, no need to do anything just enjoy your time before year 11(assuming you are in yr 10)
Reply 2
Chill. Just keep doing past papers. You're good. Unless this is additional maths. Then freak out with me.
Original post by RosaA

I got an A* (Grade 8 now) in my most recent mock exam but don't want to be complacent.
What can I do apart from past papers to keep my grades up and any good resources?

Only tip that we could give you for maths is just continuously do past papers! Several papers on the edexcel website (or which ever exam board you are doing) and also, a good site is mrbarton maths (amazing website even for aqa level 2 fm). If I'm not mistaken, they have A/A* questions that many may get wrong and how to answer them successfully. Good luck! :biggrin: SSHHMMIILLEEEE AND DON'T STRESS OUT!! :tongue:
Reply 4
Do past papers, and then do past papers, and then do past papers. Finally, do some past papers.

Past Paper = A*
Reply 5
Original post by RosaA

This thread looks exactly like a question I asked about english the question has the same wording :colonhash: Im laughing though dw
Reply 6
Original post by TyanaChu
This thread looks exactly like a question I asked about english the question has the same wording :colonhash: Im laughing though dw

Really> It's a small world I guess :h: :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by ScienceFantatic
If you're going by the numbered system then I'm guessing you're only in year 10? You're already at an excellent stage, no need to do anything just enjoy your time before year 11(assuming you are in yr 10)

Thanks for the advice :smile: Yes I am in Year 10
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by theminz
Chill. Just keep doing past papers. You're good. Unless this is additional maths. Then freak out with me.

Thanks for the help, do you have any websites with past papers for EDEXCEL maths?

& no I'm not doing additional ....sorry :smile: I'm sure you'll do fine!
Reply 9
Original post by SGHD26716
Do past papers, and then do past papers, and then do past papers. Finally, do some past papers.

Past Paper = A*

Reply 10
Original post by ravioliyears
Only tip that we could give you for maths is just continuously do past papers! Several papers on the edexcel website (or which ever exam board you are doing) and also, a good site is mrbarton maths (amazing website even for aqa level 2 fm). If I'm not mistaken, they have A/A* questions that many may get wrong and how to answer them successfully. Good luck! :biggrin: SSHHMMIILLEEEE AND DON'T STRESS OUT!! :tongue:

Thanks so much for the advice! I'll try not to stress too much :smile:
My exam board is Edexcel but thanks for the advice again :biggrin:
Chill out, GCSE maths is not that hard. Honestly, you can get an A doing no revision except the stuff you do in class. You don't need to stress, relax and enjoy yourself
I got an A in maths and further maths from just reading and attending after school classes. Also one of my further maths exams I was in shock since I was late to the exam and had my mum shout me out of my bed as I thought it was the next day and she drove me to school at around 15-20 mph above the limit.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by supernerdural
Chill out, GCSE maths is not that hard. Honestly, you can get an A doing no revision except the stuff you do in class. You don't need to stress, relax and enjoy yourself

Thanks for the support :smile: I'll try and stay calm about it all :u: but I end up stressing either way xD
Reply 14
Original post by Vikingninja
I got an A in maths and further maths from just reading and attending after school classes. Also one of my further maths exams I was in shock since I was late to the exam and had my mum shout me out of my bed as I thought it was the next day and she drove me to school at around 15-20 mph above the limit.

Well done! :smile: Hopefully, I'll manage to get an A in Further maths as well some day:smile:
That journey sounds fun :biggrin: you were fashionably late as they say :wink:
All I really did was make very brief flash cards on how to do the harder stuff with examples and did lots of past papers; got me an A* so give it a go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RosaA
Well done! :smile: Hopefully, I'll manage to get an A in Further maths as well some day:smile:
That journey sounds fun :biggrin: you were fashionably late as they say :wink:

Wouldn't really call turning up at the last 5 minutes, in scrunched up clothes, unwashed and shaking whilst looking like a lunatic on crack fashionably late.
Reply 17
Original post by Vikingninja
Wouldn't really call turning up at the last 5 minutes, in scrunched up clothes, unwashed and shaking whilst looking like a lunatic on crack fashionably late.

Yeah, I see your point but you still got an A so don't worry about it :smile:
just do practice questions every now and then so you won't forget! You're already doing great so don't stress too much :biggrin:
My school gave everyone an account for this site called mathswatch and its SO HELPFUL it goes through EVERY.SINGLE. TOPIC. in small clips and they're all numbered and graded so easy to find. I'm in year 11 so I'm not sure if they have updated things for the new GCSEs - they probably have. The downside is that I think your school needs to make an account. You could ask your teachers I'm sure they would be happy to if you don't already have one. But seriously it has helped me so much. Whenever I don't understand anything I go straight to that and find the topic and it explains it in 5 minutes with some extra practice questions - they even have worksheets (which my teacher gives for homework). Anyways, my target was a B but then it became A now my teachers are hoping for an A* out of me so it works and DON'T STOP DOING PAST PAPERS.

But most importantly,
RELAX, it's great that your starting now but do it bit by bit and don't get worried so early on it'll just add to the stress next year.
hope that helped

Quick Reply

Latest