Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is driving me nuts. I don't understand what it is. Is it what Alfred Wegener proposed - that all the continents used to be joined together in a supercontinent called the Pangea etc, or is it subduction, or continental drift?
    I have done research but I am still confused.
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Is this helpful? http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...riftrev1.shtml

ReputationRep:
    continental drift.
    You also need to know that scientisits/geologists didn't accept his ideas because he lacked evidence with his work and also he made bad calculations with the speed at which the continents are drifting apart.

But:
    Later geologists found out that the convection currents in the matle are drifting the plates near the crust away a few cm per year.

ReputationRep:
    All the continents used to be joined together as one massive land mass called Pangaea. Radioactive decay and convection currents caused the continents to split up and move further away from each other over the millions of years.

Also, maybe read up about this on bbc bitesize or something. I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
    Is driving me nuts. I don't understand what it is. Is it what Alfred Wegener proposed - that all the continents used to be joined together in a supercontinent called the Pangea etc, or is it subduction, or continental drift?
    I have done research but I am still confused.
    Thanks in advance.
    Alfred Wegener proposed the theory of continental drift, which has developed into plate tectonics theory today.

Wegener's continental drift theory was the idea of the supercontinent, Pangea. Wegener gave evidence, such as similar fossils found on different continents, and the "jigsaw fit", but this theory could not explain the mechanism for the continental drifting.

Modern-day plate tectonics theory explains the mechanisms and structure of Earth; it builds on the theory of continental drift. It explains the mechanism for continental drift by the radioactive decay in the core, heating nearby material and creating convection currents in the magma above, which move the plates on the surface.

This is my understanding; might not be entirely correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    Alfred Wegener proposed the theory of continental drift, which has developed into plate tectonics theory today.

Wegener's continental drift theory was the idea of the supercontinent, Pangea. Wegener gave evidence, such as similar fossils found on different continents, and the "jigsaw fit", but this theory could not explain the mechanism for the continental drifting.

Modern-day plate tectonics theory explains the mechanisms and structure of Earth; it builds on the theory of continental drift. It explains the mechanism for continental drift by the radioactive decay in the core, heating nearby material and creating convection currents in the magma above, which move the plates on the surface.

This is my understanding; might not be entirely correct.
    Ah, so would the explaining of the structure of the Earth (the lithosphere etc) be considered as part of the theory of plate tectonics?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shohaib712)
    continental drift.
    You also need to know that scientisits/geologists didn't accept his ideas because he lacked evidence with his work and also he made bad calculations with the speed at which the continents are drifting apart.

But:
    Later geologists found out that the convection currents in the matle are drifting the plates near the crust away a few cm per year.
    Yes, but just to clarify something: continental drift = theory of plate tectonics or are the scientists later discoveries the theory of plate tectonics? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but just to clarify something: continental drift = theory of plate tectonics or are the scientists later discoveries the theory of plate tectonics? Thank you.
    Continental drift is the theory of tectonic plates. Wegener proposed the continents are moving but was once all together like Jigsaw in Pangea. He wasn't accepted because poor understanding of the mechanism of movement and the fact it was such a radical change with not much proof.

Then more evidence came of this when evidence came of seafloor spreading

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MezmorisedPotato)
    Continental drift is the theory of tectonic plates. Wegener proposed the continents are moving but was once all together like Jigsaw in Pangea. He wasn't accepted because poor understanding of the mechanism of movement and the fact it was such a radical change with not much proof.

Then more evidence came of this when evidence came of seafloor spreading
    Ohh, I understand that now. Thank you very much for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh, I understand that now. Thank you very much for your help.
    No problem please message me if you need help. I will try to help ASAP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MezmorisedPotato)
    No problem please message me if you need help. I will try to help ASAP
    Thank you.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.