Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HL Chem, Maths, Physics, Chinese B
    SL Econ, Eng lang + lit.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking (chemical) engineering at uni.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing essentially the same thing, but with HL Econ instead of HL Chinese

You'll be fine as long as you manage your time right. Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    Holy sh1t

ReputationRep:
    I don't know but your post has made me glad to be alive and not in your shoes.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theminz)
    SL Econ, Eng lang + lit.

Thoughts?

So what are you thinking of doing in Uni? I chose HL Math, HL Physics, HL ITGS, SL Econ, SL Spanish and SL English lang and lit. Is there a specific reason why you chose 4 HL's? Did you do GCSE or MYP before this? IMO there's no point in doing 4 HL unless you are 100% confident you can manage it. Where are you studying atm?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with "ahsenrauf", there really is no point doing 4 HLs. It may make sense, that you want to show what you're capable of, but you don't get any extra credit or extra points, and really universities won't really take it into perspective. All they really care about is your overall points. Unless you are absolutely certain that you will get at least 38 points with these 4 HLs, there really is no point. You'l put yourself under unnecessary pressure and stress. Don't do it!!!! Your future-self with thank you for it

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think it's better you spend the extra time you have, instead on another HL, on CAS and extra-curricular stuff to boost your application instead. Leadership roles and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theminz)
    SL Econ, Eng lang + lit.

Thoughts?

im doing hl chemistry (same as you), hl maths (same), hl biology (equivalent to hl physics?), sl chinese language and lit, sl econ (same), and sl english lit.

well its definitely going to be tough to manage so many subjects, but i feel that im doing along fine. if youre a science type of guy (since you want to do chemical engineering), the subject choices are fine since 3 of your hls are science/quantitative based subjects. when you really enjoy doing half of your 6 subjects it really makes your life easier, saves time, and reduces stress. well it worked for me.

i would recommend dropping the hl chinese b into sl because i think doing 4 hls doesnt really help. Id rather have a higher overall score than risk a lower score and do 4 hls.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for responding!

I would also rather not be doing Chinese B HL, but I need it to get government jobs in the future as it is the minimum standard. (...however... i am a student that is ethnically Chinese, but educated in international schools all my life, so I speak english much better than my Chinese.... I can't communicate with my grandparents anymore. )

I will probably drop physics if the course gets too intense (and I get crappy grades).

Currently studying 11 gcse's this year, took maths a year early (but it was edexcel which is apparently the easiest board)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.