Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is there a point of wearing gemstones? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I find thus shamefully embarassing to share. But my parents spent a good amount of money on getting a gemstone made for me. I don't believe in it and find it ugly. I am only wearing because money has been invested and since it was bought for a reason, it may have a placebo effect of sorts. But is there any real hardcore evidence of these things working? Is it just the faith and belief and spiritual thing where people claim that these things lie in the gap that "Science can't explain."?

ReputationRep:
    Aw, this isn't answering your question but I just wanted to say I think that's such a cute gesture.- you shouldn't be embarrassed.

ReputationRep:
    To answer your question, no, there's no evidence to show these things work.

ReputationRep:
    What's a cute gesture? My folks buying a 20k gemstone necklace for me or my wearing it? It just looks really weird to me. The silver chain looks really cheap too. 😞 I am not so vain, but this whole thing is so vain so let's just get into the small details. Also there's no backing to it.
    P.S. I'm a guy and I don't accessorize. So it just doesn't digest with me.

ReputationRep:
    There is no evidence that the things actually work, but I imagine that actually the placebo effect can work quite nicely. Like if you believe a certain gemstone is going to bring you good luck and you wear it to an exam, you're probably going to feel more confident and relaxed about that exam and are more likely to do well. So although they aren't proven to work, they can still be beneficial if you believe in them. If you don't like wearing it, keep it in your pocket or wallet or something so at least you have it with you, especially if your parents spent a lot of money on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liquity)
    There is no evidence that the things actually work, but I imagine that actually the placebo effect can work quite nicely. Like if you believe a certain gemstone is going to bring you good luck and you wear it to an exam, you're probably going to feel more confident and relaxed about that exam and are more likely to do well. So although they aren't proven to work, they can still be beneficial if you believe in them. If you don't like wearing it, keep it in your pocket or wallet or something so at least you have it with you, especially if your parents spent a lot of money on it.
    mankind wears gemstones to imitate the appearance of our creators.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon_98)
    Aw, this isn't answering your question but I just wanted to say I think that's such a cute gesture.- you shouldn't be embarrassed.
    I like the signature

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    mankind wears gemstones to imitate the appearance of our creators.
    ...What?

ReputationRep:
    Some people wear gemstones because they believe in crystal healing. They believe that each crystal has a unique 'vibration', which can help to heal certain ailments, provide protection, or impart qualities such as love and happiness. I don't know if there is any concrete evidence for it working, but some people truly believe it helps, and even meditate with their crystals or use altars to enhance the healing experience

ReputationRep:
    each crystal has its own special vibration energy ? If you use them in a meditation to boost psychic gifts, it will aid you to develop a range of psychic abilities, and to make contact with beings in the higher realms that are aiding our planet at this time.

ReputationRep:
    This is a value issue. Your parents believe that they have given you an item with properties that they value, and at some cost. You might value their gesture but not the item. In terms of 'working', the only efficacy of the transaction is their demonstration of affection, and to a certain extent, wealth (as I don't believe in the effects of crystals).

The dissonance comes from the gap between their interpretation of the item's value and your own. Your perception of its value may change in time. Be happy to be loved, and in years to come, you can get the gemstone(s) reset. How many carats are we talking?

ReputationRep:
    Many people believe in it. Just as many people believe in psychics. These same people, almost entirely without exception, have always been the kind of people who genuinely believe that they'll win the lottery someday because they deserve it.

It's an ordinary gemstone, not any kind of magical fantasy jewel. It has a pretty colour and at a molecular level it's quite interesting, but I assure you, its properties are entirely mundane.

Speaking towards the placebo effect. If it makes you feel uncomfortable to wear the gemstone, then it'll make you perform worse academically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I like the signature
    Thank you, TeeEm.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, TeeEm.
    where did you get the icons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    where did you get the icons?
    TSR smily page thingy! Just type "king1/king2/king3" in between a set of colons. So like this ------> ' : king1 : ' but without the spaces and it'll work like so --> :king1:

ReputationRep:
    TSR smily page thingy! Just type "king1/king2/king3" in between a set of colons. So like this ------> ' : king1 : ' but without the spaces and it'll work like so --> :king1:
    nice !!

ReputationRep:
    Just want to thank everyone. This has given me clarity. I guess I will wear it. For a while at least. And then sell it off after exams and buy some cool stuff. Also appreciate the breakdown of societal behaviour and difference of perception by some answers.

ReputationRep:
    little suggestion to change the dates
    these awards were for 2015, I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    little suggestion to change the dates
    these awards were for 2015, I think
    Oh yeah, gosh- thank you, I'll change it now. I think I accidentally wrote that bc we were awarded them this year. :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, gosh- thank you, I'll change it now. I think I accidentally wrote that bc we were awarded them this year. :getmecoat:
    no worries ... others may have done the same ...
    Unless you have a premonition for next year !

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.