Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I've received offers from UCL (AAB) and Bath (A*AA) to study architecture and I'm struggling to decide which to firm.

I really like both courses, however I'm worried that the Bartlett might be a little too conceptual and I like the way the course at Bath has projects with the engineers and only the final year counts towards your degree. However I'm much less keen on Bath's campus, it seems to have pretty good facilities but walking around it just felt a little bit depressing (perhaps I just subconsciously hate concrete :P). I also don't really like the isolation of the campus, as even though the city is very close by there doesn't seem to be very much to do (however it is incredibly beautiful).
    Grades wise I think I'm able to get an A* in art and I already have an A in maths, however I'm really not confident about getting an A in physics, so I'm tempted by UCL's lower offer as it would take the pressure off me quite a lot (I don't really perform well under too much pressure).
    I'm also concerned about job prospects, I'm aware that Bath is renowned for getting student's jobs due to their thin sandwich placement thing, but I've also heard that UCL is a good springboard for careers, especially as it's in London.
    I recently went to an offer holder's open day at Bath and really liked the department, everyone I met was incredibly friendly, especially the tutors, however walking around the university I didn't really feel very comfortable and there didn't seem to be many students around (this could be due to the fact it was raining). I went for a booked tour around UCL as well and people seemed fairly friendly too however I didn't really get the chance to interact with many staff or students as it wasn't an official open day (unfortunately I missed the one last summer due to illness).
    I'm aware that London is considerably more expensive to study in, however fortunately this is not too much of a deciding factor.
    Finally, I'm keen to try to join a rowing club (as a cox), this is a considerably less important factor in my decision, but if anyone knows anything about either university's boat club any information would be greatly appreciated.

Overall I feel like choosing Bath would be kind of a 'safe' option as I know the department would be good and the campus means I would be safe and in easy access to student-y places and wouldn't feel so nervous walking home from a night out for example. However I fear that there'll come a day when I'm sat in my room thinking 'I thought uni would be more exciting than this'.

Apologies for this mega long post, I just figured it would be better to explain everything all in one go.

Please please let me know what your opinions on either university are, I'm very stuck between them so anything and everything would be greatly appreciated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.