Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. So yesterday I had two interviews for two different courses (textiles and fine art) at the same university. I had my textiles one at 11.20 and the fine art one at 12. However the textiles interviewer was running late so I didn't go in until 11.50, and was concerned that I would miss my fine art interview. I told this to the lady who took me to the interview room and she offered to go down to the room where the fine art interviews were taking place to let them know I would be a little late. Textiles interview went fine, and as soon as I finished I went down to my fine art interview. However, my interviewer seemed completely disinterested in my portfolio - she barely looked at it and I found her quite intimidating and patronising - basically making me feel like i wasn't good enough. She knew that I had just had a Textiles interview, so kept asking me about that, like why have I applied to both and what would I do if I got an offer from both - pretty sure she can't do that?? At the end she asked if I had any questions, but when I asked some she got really huffy. I just felt like I may be at a disadvantage - she kind of seemed annoyed that I'd applied for Textiles as well, and therefore didn't take me seriously. I'm just a little unsure of what to do: if there is anything I can do. I'm worried I'll be rejected
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Surely you should have veen ready for that. Bit like Unis get huffy when they arent first choice. Its only natural. You should really have had a suitable answer that either made the other course look like a back up or that you were genuinelu interested in the course you were interviewed for.

You have to learn the skill of being in with difficult interviewers and stay focused.

Asking you why you have applied to both seems perfectly fair. It smacks of indecision. They dont wnat to be 2nd best.

The answer should be you pick them on two offers. Perfectly fine imo.
    It may be you were jst a little nervous and it just souhnds more like a tough interview, not an unfair one.

You cna write them a letter, but it has to be today or tomorrow to get to her on Monday.

Thank her for the interview, say how much you enjoyed it and how keen you are to go on the course, then you cna put in a couple of lines where you can recorrect any misconceptions or emphasise your commitment. It cnat be overlong, but it gives you a chance to say a few things you feel you didnt get across.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Surely you should have veen ready for that. Bit like Unis get huffy when they arent first choice. Its only natural. You should really have had a suitable answer that either made the other course look like a back up or that you were genuinelu interested in the course you were interviewed for.

You have to learn the skill of being in with difficult interviewers and stay focused.

Asking you why you have applied to both seems perfectly fair. It smacks of indecision. They dont wnat to be 2nd best.

The answer should be you pick them on two offers. Perfectly fine imo.
    It may be you were jst a little nervous and it just souhnds more like a tough interview, not an unfair one.

You cna write them a letter, but it has to be today or tomorrow to get to her on Monday.

Thank her for the interview, say how much you enjoyed it and how keen you are to go on the course, then you cna put in a couple of lines where you can recorrect any misconceptions or emphasise your commitment. It cnat be overlong, but it gives you a chance to say a few things you feel you didnt get across.
    thanks for replying. Yeah you're probably right - I did tell her that fine art would definitely be my top choice so hopefully she didn't feel like it was second best.

I hate interviews but I kept composed and pretty bubbly on the outside - it was just afterwards and during I was thinking it was it wasn't going very well. I guess I just felt she was more interested in the fact id applied to a different course than she was with my actual work.

I expect I'm just being paranoid - post-interview doubts etc. ill just wait and see whether they offer me a place or not.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    As i said it shows indecision. If you feel it need to be emphasised write the letter. People dont tell the truth in interview. Toy might not have convinced her. Toy will always get difficult interviewers. You have to have a stragey for them, so you cna still get across what you want. If you write be very polite and it has to go to your interviewer. send it registered post so it has t be signed for.

So remove those thoughts about unfair etc, you arent looking at it from her point of view.

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/careers-advice...emic-interview

ReputationRep:
    I think that sounds unfair. Unis should know you could be applying to up to 4 other courses and so where you are applying to, in fairness, shouldn't matter to them.

Applying to two courses at the same university shows you really want to go there if anything and I don't think this is indecisive of you, if you would genuinely feel happy on either course.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that's what I was thinking - I reckon the interview would have been fairly different had she not known I'd applied for textiles too. And yes I would love to be on either course - they both look amazing, but I definitely think the fine art course would be my top choice...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.