Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,I have some doubts with some questions mentioned below. I'd really appreciate it if you can answer these.

1) This question is about ethanethiol, CH3CH2SH. Thiols are like alcohols, but the oxygen atom has been replaced by a sulfur atom. They react in similar way to alcohols.

Give the value for the CSH bond angle in ethaneethiol. Justify your answer

2) The bond angle for h20, is 104.5. I don't understand how this angle arises, given that h20 is a trigonal planar structure. Are we supposed to know the angle beforehand?

ReputationRep:
    H20 is v shape based on the tetrahedral shape. The oxygen has 2 lone pair of electrons therefore 109.5 - (2.5x2) = 104.5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manexopi)
    H20 is v shape based on the tetrahedral shape. The oxygen has 2 lone pair of electrons therefore 109.5 - (2.5x2) = 104.5
    Thanks, but how does h20 achieve a tetrahedral shape with only 3 atoms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azefayuu)
    Thanks, but how does h20 achieve a tetrahedral shape with only 3 atoms?
    If you draw out a dot and cross diagram for water, you'll see that there are 2 bonded pairs and 2 lone pairs of electrons. Altogether that's 4 pairs of electrons making it based on the tetrahedral shape but because 2 of the pairs of electrons are lone pairs, they end up repelling more than bond pairs would leading to the v-shape. Basically, water is not actually tetrahedral - it's simply based on it. The actual shape is bent/v-shape. I'm not really sure how else to explain it other than that but I'm sure your textbook will have something on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manexopi)
    If you draw out a dot and cross diagram for water, you'll see that there are 2 bonded pairs and 2 lone pairs of electrons. Altogether that's 4 pairs of electrons making it based on the tetrahedral shape but because 2 of the pairs of electrons are lone pairs, they end up repelling more than bond pairs would leading to the v-shape. Basically, water is not actually tetrahedral - it's simply based on it. The actual shape is bent/v-shape. I'm not really sure how else to explain it other than that but I'm sure your textbook will have something on it.
    Checked the book, understand it now. Thanks a lot for your time

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.