Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Hey ladies and gentleman! I registered here, because I heard that it's a really nice place to hang out. And get some useful advice as well.

    So... I want to get back into studying, because I wish to push my career into a more appropriate direction than it is at the moment. However the main thing is that I came to the UK from a different country (so you could say that I'm one of those peeps who "steal the jobs") and the UK's education system is still enigmatic to me and noone I know (even natives) can/wants to explain it. That's for introduction.
    I always had an affinity for IT tech support so I'm thinking I want to progress into an 1st, then 2nd line tech support and then we'll see. No helpdesk for me, because I never liked to travel during work.
    At the moment I'm thinking of starting a college or university course that covers IT support/knowledge and see how it goes from there.
    Currently I possess a Pearson BTEC Certificate in Retail Knowledge which is worth as much as toilet paper, HOWEVER it comes with a level 2 test in English and maths (GCSE worth) so it should make things a bit easier.
    At the moment I'm in the process of an education hunt and... it's hard. All those colleges and courses got my head spinning, not even mentioning the fact that I would have to go with a part-time course, because I still have to work (I need to feed my cat, yo!).
    I know it's rude to start you forum career with a request, but I would be really grateful if someone could advise me a bit on these matters. And "matters" meaning:
    What courses would you recommend for IT starters from abroad?
    Any colleges with IT courses that let you work part time+study in London's vicinity you would recommend?
    Any other advice you think would be helpful (apart from "go back to your country", I heard that too many times already").

    Thanks for reading this wall of text. And cheeeers!

    Hi. You should take a look at Birkbeck if you need to study part-time in London. They have a very high percentage of mature students, so entry requirements are different from standard universities, and their courses are designed to allow people to work alongside studying.

Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.