Ancient History AS and A2 Revision Watch

Geedawg
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Looking for anyone at all on TSR who studies A level ancient history for some revision aid and if anyone wants to swap ideas ect.

Anyone studying Athens, Roman Britain or the Roman Empire is particularly welcome
Liz13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi I'm studying as ancient history Sparta and Roman Britain. I'm in the same position as you, it seems like such a rare subject to find revision material for.
Geedawg
Rep:
?
It really is! Well it sounds like we've got Roman Britain in common. How are you finding it?
Liz13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I find it really interesting but it's hard to remember all of the different sources, what about you?
Geedawg
Rep:
?
I'm the same, Roman Britain is the module I find most interesting but there's so many sources! I'm making a document to try and state what each of the sources tells us and why they are/aren't useful. The archaeological ones are really hard to work into an exam paper.

Do you try to remember individual quotes from the sources or just what they actually tell us about the history? I've heard of people doing both but I've never really been sure whether I have to spend time learning/revising quotes.
Liz13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've been told that you don't need to waste time trying to memorise quotes but you need to know the source in a lot of detail. With the archaeology, you can put it after a literary source that goes with the argument that you're trying to make - Tacitus' account of Boudicca with the destruction layer found at Colchester.
Geedawg
Rep:
?
I've always tended to use the archaeological sources as backup evidence too, but there are some that I've never even thought about though so I'm doing a lot of reading into the sources to try and know something about all of them. I wish I could see what a top grade past paper answer looks like so I could see exactly how you're supposed to use the sources and how much you need to use them.
Liz13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've been searching for graded answers too and never found any
Geedawg
Rep:
?
No me neither. Have your teachers ever been able to give you anything similar? Like an answer from classes in years previous? I only have an online tutor so I cant get hold of anything like that.
Liz13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, we've never really been giving anything like that
Geedawg
Rep:
?
Here's a question for you: I was going back over some of the sources I don't remember as well and there were a couple from Seutonius and Dio about emperor Caligula; basically the sources said that his planned invasion of Britain never happened and that he had his men collecting seashells! I can't really make heads or tails of the sources and have no idea what they really tell us, or how to evaluate them! What did you make of them?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?