Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How many years do I have left? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    OK so I just finished my 2nd year of a 3 year degree, I want to swap to another degree but I'll need to start in year 1. My new degree is 4 years long.

Do I get two more years or three more years of funding? I've heard some people talking about an entitlement year if you swap, but I can't find anything clear about that on official sites.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Mieka

If you do a 4 year course you are entitled to 4 years plus a gift year. Any years of previous study are taken away from this which would be 2, leaving you with 3 years of full funding available for a 4 year course.

This would mean we would be unable to pay the tuition fees in the 1st year of the course, but you would be able to get them for the remaining years.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi Mieka

If you do a 4 year course you are entitled to 4 years plus a gift year. Any years of previous study are taken away from this which would be 2, leaving you with 3 years of full funding available for a 4 year course.

This would mean we would be unable to pay the tuition fees in the 1st year of the course, but you would be able to get them for the remaining years.

Thanks
    Thanks for your response,

Why can I not apply for funding for my first three years, and then not have the funding in my last year? I'm already set up on student finance as being on a deferred year, and they are waiting for my university to confirm whether or not I'm returning next September.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi again

The funding is always awarded backwards, this is to ensure the student has the help to enable them to complete the final year of the course.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi again

The funding is always awarded backwards, this is to ensure the student has the help to enable them to complete the final year of the course.

Thanks
    Thanks again,

just out of curiosity, because I will have a year abroad as one of my years, could I get it so that my 3 years are the ones at uni and then I fund my year off by myself?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.