Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 11 and thinking that I want to do something interesting in my summer holidays. I had always thought NCS was a bit rubbish, like they just sell it as a good experience but its actually getting kids to do charity work. More recently It's become more appealing to me and I'm wondering about doing it.

However, I get really anxious in situations where I don't know anyone. The website says they put you in teams of 12-15 people who you've never met before. So even if me and my friend went together we would not be in the same group? That really gets to me because I'm so bad with new people and get anxious about making a fool of myself infront of people i dont know.

Does anyone know whether they let you go with a friend? If it's actually a fun experience or just boring charity work?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly the same and apparently if you really want you can request to be with a friend. Look in the FAQ section of their website! I'm thinking of doing it too because it seems like such a good opportunity

ReputationRep:
    I can't see anything on their FAQs about this? Might just be me It's nice to know I might be able to request it though
    EDIT: nevermind, just found it!

(Original post by meggieros)
    I'm exactly the same and apparently if you really want you can request to be with a friend. Look in the FAQ section of their website! I'm thinking of doing it too because it seems like such a good opportunity

ReputationRep:
    (boost)

ReputationRep:
    yestbh

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of going to NCS but I didn't get the chance and I regret not going. You should go! Have fun and make the most of it. You'll meet some new people there that will go to the same college as you and it will boost your confidence

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've got a place for NCS this summer however I don't know wether to do it.
    I'm also going to Ghana to volunteer for 3 weeks in an orphanage and help to renovate a Nearby school with volunteering agency and as soon as I return i will have to leave for NCS within 2 days and I will not have any free time at all this summer to relax...
    If you've already done NCS can you tell me how tiring it is? Is it worth it? What does it include? And do you recommend doing it this summer despite already doing voluntary work abroad for 3 weeks or waiting until next summer?

ReputationRep:
    YOU SHOULD DO IT! IT'LL BE AWESOME. hope you'll do it. I AM XD

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am applying for NCS this summer but I don't know which skills to apply for. I'm currently thinking Photography, Music and Art. I love Art but I don't know if I will find it boring and if maybe I should try another skill. I think it would be worth it if there was a showing of our work at the end. Has anyone done any of the aforementioned skills? Any experience of them would be highly appreciated!!!

ReputationRep:
    I did NCS last summer, and loved it, I made some amazing friends who I still see often! I really recommend it! I stayed with one of my friends who was also doing it, if you ask they will put you with someone you know! :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blxssom)
    Hi! I am applying for NCS this summer but I don't know which skills to apply for. I'm currently thinking Photography, Music and Art. I love Art but I don't know if I will find it boring and if maybe I should try another skill. I think it would be worth it if there was a showing of our work at the end. Has anyone done any of the aforementioned skills? Any experience of them would be highly appreciated!!!

NCS is terrible! biggest mistake of your lie, do not do it. talking from past experience i regret it so much. Absolutely disgraceful service from leaders and senior members- I now know what hell is like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicepennington)
    I did NCS last summer, and loved it, I made some amazing friends who I still see often! I really recommend it! I stayed with one of my friends who was also doing it, if you ask they will put you with someone you know! :-)
    ncs is **** mate what you on about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nattm12)
    stfu mate. dont give them false hope ncs is trash

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrietbh)
    I'm currently in year 11 and thinking that I want to do something interesting in my summer holidays. I had always thought NCS was a bit rubbish, like they just sell it as a good experience but its actually getting kids to do charity work. More recently It's become more appealing to me and I'm wondering about doing it.

However, I get really anxious in situations where I don't know anyone. The website says they put you in teams of 12-15 people who you've never met before. So even if me and my friend went together we would not be in the same group? That really gets to me because I'm so bad with new people and get anxious about making a fool of myself infront of people i dont know.

Does anyone know whether they let you go with a friend? If it's actually a fun experience or just boring charity work?

Thanks in advance
    Its terrible worst experience of my life. waste of money i advise you not to do it. They treat you like babies and you gain no skills what so ever. Its basically a scam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nattm12)
    Dont listen to this guy, ncs is a scam. They take your money and give you the worst experience of your life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.C)
    yestbh
    No! Get in the bin kid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TupacShakor)

NCS is terrible! biggest mistake of your lie, do not do it. talking from past experience i regret it so much. Absolutely disgraceful service from leaders and senior members- I now know what hell is like
    LMAOOO!! Mate you may have had the worst experience of your life with NCS but that's just on you. There are what?.....More than a thousand people who have done NCS and have had the best time of their life and using the skills they have used today. Out of the thousands who have done NCS over the past years there's always that 1% of sad pathetic people who always need to complain and put off people from getting on with their life and stop them making their own choices just because your little sorry ass did not have a fun time? Go cry to mother. It's hilarious that you keep telling her to not do it, you must really have it bad for NCS. Seriously stop crying. It's almost too sad to read. I'm sure she'll have fun! She's her own person, with her own choices. If she hates it when she goes meh ...so what? But if she loves again...meh so what? HOW DOES IT EFFECT YOUR LIFE!? HOW DOES EFFECT YOUR FUTURE?! News flash it doesn't. Ignore this person and you do you. For **** sakes his life is too sad for you to follow in his miserable advise. GO TO NCS AND THEN YOU DECIDE WHETHER YOU HAD FUN OR NOT

ReputationRep:
    I have to agree with some of these people. I was thinking of doing it myself but some of my friends have had bad experiences and that they exaggerate/glamourize it. Really, it depends on you - one of my friends is really outgoing and she enjoyed it whilst most others didn't (some of the other people in the group weren't nice)
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I've signed up. Some of my friends hated it, but they do suffer with anxiety so maybe that's part of it due to it being outgoing. A lot of it has been positive however but it firmly depends on where you live as each region has different NCS experiences. Depends on the staff and where you do it.

ReputationRep:
    I did NCS last year and really enjoyed it! I'm seeing mixed views and noticing some people that have done it may not have enjoyed it that much but I think it is worth it! NCS will call or email you to let you know when you receive a place so if you want to be with your friend mention it then, it is not guaranteed you'll be in the same group but the earlier you mention it the more chance you will be

It also looks amazing on your C.V and personal statement if you're thinking about going to University or getting a job in the near future.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.