Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To Kill a Mockingbird - Thoughts and feelings (RIP Harper Lee) watch

ReputationRep:
    In the wake of the sad news of Ms. Lee's passing, I thought I'd ask for your opinions on her classic novel, To Kill a Mockingbird.

I read it in school, aged 14 and hated it. I also made the whole class hate it before we'd even started by telling them it was the book that put my dad off reading for 20 years. As I've gotten older (almost 10 years later) I realise why we read it, and why it is such an important and excellent novel. I don't think it's time yet for a reread, but I'm no longer completely ruling it out.

What are your thoughts?

RIP Harper Lee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    In the wake of the sad news of Ms. Lee's passing, I thought I'd ask for your opinions on her classic novel, To Kill a Mockingbird.

I read it in school, aged 14 and hated it. I also made the whole class hate it before we'd even started by telling them it was the book that put my dad off reading for 20 years. As I've gotten older (almost 10 years later) I realise why we read it, and why it is such an important and excellent novel. I don't think it's time yet for a reread, but I'm no longer completely ruling it out.

What are your thoughts?

RIP Harper Lee.
    Honestly it's one of the novels that set me on the path I'm on today. Very sad to hear the news, but I'm thankful for the lessons TKAB taught us. It's as relevant today as ever and something everyone should read. Beautiful writing and beautiful person. RIP Harper Lee.

ReputationRep:
    I love the book it's so fab! - Ofc, very sad to hear the news.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.