Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All

Is anyone doing the Career Coaching MSc/ know someone who has done the course? What are your experiences and what did you do after you finished the course? I'm an Employment Support Worker in a Psychological Therapies IAPT, and interested in pursuing this further and going into Career Coaching.. Maybe Organisational Psychology, but I'm more into coaching.The two are different, but yeah if anyone has done either or know anyone who did, I'd be really interested to know what you thought about it, how it went and what you are doing now.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi - I'm just finishing up the MSc in Career Coaching. Its a brilliant course and I've loved it. Julia who is the programme leader and runs the most of the modules is a brilliant lecturer and is really experienced in coaching/careers education as well as a great researcher and published author on the subject.

The course allows you to focus mainly on coaching theory and practice with the theory drawing on research in careers, psychology and counselling so you get a really good theoretical underpinning. You can also chose modules from the Occ Psych and applied psychology masters so can tailor the course to suit where you want to use your coaching/your interests.

I work in HR part time and then have my own career coaching practice on the side. I've yet to market myself but have already picked up clients and think its def a growing field. Most people on the course have different interests and wish to coach a certain type of person ie. uni students, executives, secondary school students, women returners, nhs workers, unemployed people with mental health issues. Some are already coaching as part of their work and some are brand new so there is a real mix of abilities and interests.

I think its important to work out who you want to coach and then you can tailor your modules and research project to become and expert in that area.

I'd recommend talking to Julia if you haven't already and perhaps buy her book as its a great intro to the content of the module. Happy to answer any specific questions you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applecharlotte)
    Hi - I'm just finishing up the MSc in Career Coaching. Its a brilliant course and I've loved it. Julia who is the programme leader and runs the most of the modules is a brilliant lecturer and is really experienced in coaching/careers education as well as a great researcher and published author on the subject.

The course allows you to focus mainly on coaching theory and practice with the theory drawing on research in careers, psychology and counselling so you get a really good theoretical underpinning. You can also chose modules from the Occ Psych and applied psychology masters so can tailor the course to suit where you want to use your coaching/your interests.

I work in HR part time and then have my own career coaching practice on the side. I've yet to market myself but have already picked up clients and think its def a growing field. Most people on the course have different interests and wish to coach a certain type of person ie. uni students, executives, secondary school students, women returners, nhs workers, unemployed people with mental health issues. Some are already coaching as part of their work and some are brand new so there is a real mix of abilities and interests.

I think its important to work out who you want to coach and then you can tailor your modules and research project to become and expert in that area.

I'd recommend talking to Julia if you haven't already and perhaps buy her book as its a great intro to the content of the module. Happy to answer any specific questions you have.
    Hi applecharlotte,
    I am graduating from the University of Huddersfield with a BSc Psychology with Counselling and am very interested into applying for MSc Career Coaching in UEL. However, your review is the only positive one I've read so far. Could I maybe email you for a few questions?!
    Thank you in advance!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.