Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a memory Box of my ex and every single memory inside of it I love and cherish but is it hurting me or preventing me from moving on by keeping it?

We broke up 8 months ago btw?

I just have hope for us in the future that we will meet up someday and ill be able to pull this box out of memories and we can both reminisce on them together But on the other hand is it bad I still have hope for us in the future? Should I just get it rid of it and move on and find someone new and be happy without him? if I chuck it will I feel any different? will it be easier to move on?

ReputationRep:
    No

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curiousafgirl)
    I have a memory Box of my ex and every single memory inside of it I love and cherish but is it hurting me or preventing me from moving on by keeping it?

We broke up 8 months ago btw?

I just have hope for us in the future that we will meet up someday and ill be able to pull this box out of memories and we can both reminisce on them together But on the other hand is it bad I still have hope for us in the future? Should I just get it rid of it and move on and find someone new and be happy without him? if I chuck it will I feel any different? will it be easier to move on?
    That's lovely, too bad he doesn't care and you're prolonging your suffering with these fantasies.

ReputationRep:
    i still have a box of all my ex's stuff, i won't get rid of it because they were happy memories, but we broke up for a reason. don't let an object be the reason you hang onto him/her.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Chuck. More damaging than you might think. Try to get over him.

ReputationRep:
    Store in box, gave box to dad, box is hidden and will be returned one day. It's lost but not gone.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah give it to someone else to hide

ReputationRep:
    lol chuck it.
    you broke up for a reason, its a waste of space

ReputationRep:
    Burn it.

ReputationRep:
    Best bet is chuck it. But I haven't been able to do this, rather I squirrelled it away. Sometime down the line, when you've moved on, it can be interesting nostalgia rather than a source of pain. Forget a reconciliation and looking at it together as this so rarely happens.

i have one of these boxes of my first love. we were young so it wasnt an "adult" relationship. All physical forms of our memories/time spent together (~2 years) eg. tickets, birthday/christmas gifts, card etc has all been stored in a box. i tied a firm knot around it so it couldnt be opened easily. this has resided in my parents garage since age 17. 6 years later, im now 23.. I found that box having moved into a corner of my bedroom (I dont live at home, only visit for a week or so over christmas and in the summer).

I opened it the other day 5-6 years later. Felt strange, a part of me looked back on my younger, less mature self with pleasant memories. But it was still bittersweet, i remembered the pain all too well. Quite a sharp/painful feeling. I liked this person at the time A LOT. Life has since moved on a lot. I am soon to graduate as a doctor, and have a very loving, wonderful partner (of 2 years who i live with) who is so much better than anything I could ever have imagined.

I'm not sure what I will do with that box, i dont think i could ever bring myself to bin it, its a big part of my teenage years. I am still in touch with my ex - very occasionally. We are both from the same small town. I hold no more emotional/romantic feelings what-so-ever... This, I wish I could have told to my 17/18/19 year old self.

ReputationRep:
    I'd get rid of it.

Even if you get back together the relationship will change. The box has no place in your life and it's holding you back. Chances are you're both looking for something different and if you stay in the past, you won't get back together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CCC75)
    Burn it.
    Came to say the same thing.

It'll hold you back, move on with your life. Look to the future, not the past
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    My advice, get rid of it when you're ready to get rid of it. Sometimes knowing you need to let go is the first step, and sometimes it can take many attempts at letting go to succeed. Looking at it may help you let go by reminding you of what's not yours anymore, and sadly pain is part of moving on and letting go.

You feel the pain, but it is only temporary, the world will keep turning, new days dawning and suddenly you'll be weeks and months down the line and you'd hardly have thought of this guy at all. I still occasionally think of my ex's and sometimes it brings me pain, but I learnt something from all of those relationships and that's what I want to hold onto and take away from those experiences.

Stress is (part of) what makes bones and muscles grow stronger. So live and let go when you're ready to let go. Different people have different approaches to these things.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.