The Student Room Group
The University of Gloucestershire
University of Gloucestershire
Cheltenham
Visit website

Media interviews at the University of Gloucestershire

Jack is a graduate from the Television Production course here at the University of Gloucestershire.

Having already attended an open day earlier in the year, I was unsure what more I could gain from another visit to the campus, but I quickly discovered that an interview day was much more specific to my particular course and answered many more questions I had about university life.

We started with an observed exercise where all prospective students got into groups to put together an idea for a programme which we then pitched back to the lecturers. This was then followed by a ‘meet and greet’ campus tour with current students who answered our questions about student life while showing us around. The day concluded with a one-on-one interview with the academics where we discussed my application and the course itself.

Below I have put together a list of tips that helped me on my interview day:

* Be ready to talk about yourself; it feels unnatural to brag about your qualities, but the academics really want to find out more about you. They may even ask you about content you included in your application, so be prepared to talk about this. Feel confident in the fact that they are interested in what you have to say.

* Remember to back up any digital material you have brought to support your interview. Whether it be USB, email or CD there is nothing worse than technology failing you at your crucial moment!

* Make sure you have done your research about the course and feel confident justifying your decision to apply to this subject at this university. Draw upon material you have seen that has made you excited at the prospect of studying here.

* Remember what it is that inspired you to study this particular subject. When you are able to freely talk in your interview about topics you’re passionate about, then you will shine and that is what makes a good applicant.

* Make sure you do some wider reading into your interests (whether it be a film, director, performer or article) and be able to explain (in detail!) why they had such an impact on you.

* A lot of work in the media industry is heavily dependent on team work, so in any exercise or interview make sure you demonstrate how well you can work in a group.

* It’s not just the academics that get to do the questioning, remember it’s also a day for you to try and find out whether this is the best fit for you. Make sure you bring some questions of your own and use the day to help you decide which institution offers you what you’re looking for.

A short while after the interview, the academics offered me a place on the course and I was lucky enough to spend the next three years of my life having an amazing time at the University of Gloucestershire. It’s interesting to note that the class frequently referred back to the skills and friends we acquired on the interview day, and how this eased us into our first term.

:fyi: If you have any questions about the media courses or interviews, let us know and we will get back to you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending