Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've picked English Literature as one of my A-Levels, and I'm wondering if it was such a good idea. I love English at school, so that's why I've picked it...

Have I made a good decision? The other subjects I've chosen are Chemistry, Biology, and Maths: Statistics.

Could I, realistically speaking, be able to cope with all this? I'm looking at getting A/A* grades at the end of College/6th Form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Writer_Refresh)
    I've picked English Literature as one of my A-Levels, and I'm wondering if it was such a good idea. I love English at school, so that's why I've picked it...

Have I made a good decision? The other subjects I've chosen are Chemistry, Biology, and Maths: Statistics.

Could I, realistically speaking, be able to cope with all this? I'm looking at getting A/A* grades at the end of College/6th Form
    It depends how much time and effort you put into your studies :smile:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribenas)
    It depends how much time and effort you put into your studies :smile:
    Tbh... I don't put much effort, but I still get A/A* grades in English. Would I need to push myself harder at A-Level?

ReputationRep:

it's nice to have an essay subject alongside more quantitative ones or vice versa. it shouldn't be too hard.

ReputationRep:
    Hard work and ability are both factors. Personally English was always my best subject really and I found revision close to the exam and doing the essays set for homework, plus paying attention in class of course - at least until the end of A2 when I got a bit bored and just sort of crammed things at home - quite sufficient. But I reckon pretty much anyone can get an A in it through work.

I've picked English Literature as one of my A-Levels, and I'm wondering if it was such a good idea. I love English at school, so that's why I've picked it...Have I made a good decision? The other subjects I've chosen are Chemistry, Biology, and Maths: Statistics.Could I, realistically speaking, be able to cope with all this? I'm looking at getting A/A* grades at the end of College/6th Form

ReputationRep:

I do English Literature atm and I for one really enjoy it, I was getting the same kind of grades in English at GCSE as you and so thought it would be a breeze. i wouldn't say it's hard, there's just a lot more reading and in depth analysis (which I love).

ReputationRep:
    Tbh... I don't put much effort, but I still get A/A* grades in English. Would I need to push myself harder at A-Level?
    Yes, GCSE are easy in comparison . That being said I preferred A-Levels to GCSE's as you only do 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    it's nice to have an essay subject alongside more quantitative ones or vice versa. it shouldn't be too hard.
    I just don't want to start regretting my decision next year... I love the subject, but I've heard recently the Science subjects get really difficult at A-Level...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bibliophile101)
    I do English Literature atm and I for one really enjoy it, I was getting the same kind of grades in English at GCSE as you and so thought it would be a breeze. i wouldn't say it's hard, there's just a lot more reading and in depth analysis (which I love).
    More in-depth analysis is nothing too problematic for me, it's just I'm worried that it would become too much for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Hard work and ability are both factors. Personally English was always my best subject really and I found revision close to the exam and doing the essays set for homework, plus paying attention in class of course - at least until the end of A2 when I got a bit bored and just sort of crammed things at home - quite sufficient. But I reckon pretty much anyone can get an A in it through work.
    I do all of those things in class right now... But would you say A-Level is quite similar to GCSE, in terms of English Lit?

ReputationRep:
    I do all of those things in class right now... But would you say A-Level is quite similar to GCSE, in terms of English Lit?
    Well sort of; in general it demands more creativity, more organisation; the questions are more vague and a bit harder to tackle. I got full UMS in Lit GCSE but semi-scraped an A* at A level despite writing at a higher standard then obviously and probably doing more work so of course it is harder.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't want to start regretting my decision next year... I love the subject, but I've heard recently the Science subjects get really difficult at A-Level...
    idk about bio and chem but mathematics isn't that bad at A-Level if you're good at it AND enjoy it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper

At the end of the day my lovely, you are not guaranteed to get the same grade as some of these people claim to have got. Your work ethic could change once you take on your A-levels.

A-levels this year is quite different. English A-level especially, as you don't do coursework until A2 (it's only worth 20% rather than 40%) and you have to study Shakespeare in your first year, rather than your 2nd year. On the plus side, you read less texts than what I had to read when I was taugh the old spec (3 years ago).

You cannot basis your decision on someone's opinion. Their term of "hard" and concept of difficulty could be extremely different from yours.

If I were you, ask your current English teacher what it's like. They might be able to get a student's book and just sit you down one break or lunch time and go through some of the stuff they teach and have to do during lessons. In the summer, you might want to read at least one or two of the set sets they study to see if you wouldnt mind analysing it.

What it really comes down to is that if you really enjoyed it at GCSE level, then pick it at A-level. Also consider your subjects and how relevant they will be if you plan to go to uni. English is a good arts subject to have as it prepares you for essay writing for undergraduate study.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    More in-depth analysis is nothing too problematic for me, it's just I'm worried that it would become too much for me
    You seem like a bright person, you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    right, i do english lit at as, and at first, you're like woah, becuase a lot of ppl there know crap you dont know - tbh they're not even useful but if you follow the spec and make sure you get plenty of AO's in there youll be fine. it IS a grade one subject so it does count as being hard.
    still ur choice and depends on what you want to go into

ReputationRep:
    It's great. Some people think it's 'hard' because it's all subjective interpretations and not one specific answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reader106)
    It's great. Some people think it's 'hard' because it's all subjective interpretations and not one specific answer.
    That is a very frustrating element. I learned to use it to my advantage though, completely twisted a question's meaning probably beyond rationality in my last exam in order to shoehorn in my actual points and it went great. Also one can avoid genuine subjectivity by making sure to constantly write things like "some people may argue that" or "another interpretation is..", then you're being objective about being subjective..

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to try at everything at A-level But that shouldn't matter if you're interested in it...you just have to figure out if you are.

I'm really looking forward to English Literature next year! How does everyone find it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.