Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Having a colonoscopy/Crohns disease/UC watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I've been told recently by my doctor that I've got to have a colonoscopy done soon. I'm pretty nervous, and was just wondering if anyone else has experience of one?

They think I've got Crohns disease or UC, so if anyone had any experience of that I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks x
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

I'm a fellow UC sufferer I got diagnosed back in September after being ill for so long. I got all the the tests done and all I can say is opt for a sedative if you can as its not pleasant. I don't remember anything about the procedure other then waking up on the ward.

It's a tough illness to face and control so I wish you good luck. Any questions you can ask me x

ReputationRep:
    I was told by my doctor that I would only have to be in hospital for around an hour/2 hours to have the procedure done. Were you admitted as a day case then?

What kind of symptoms were you experience before you went to the doctor?

So far I've only had blood tests and a stool sample sent off, so I'm still in early stages x

ReputationRep:
    Hiya sorry only just seen this.

I was admitted for over a week. I was in so much pain that the paramedics were called and took me straight. The hospital weren't too sure what was wrong but my X-rays showed my Bowel was close to bursting.

I had the camera procedure done on the 5th day and because of sedative I got let out on the 7th day.

My symptoms were mainly blood when I went to the Toliet and I lost a lot of weight due to not being able to keep it in. Used to make atleast 8 trips a day to the bathroom

ReputationRep:
    I was taken to hospital by paramedics back in July, however after they gave me morphine to subside the pain, did some blood tests and a urine test they released me stating 'it's just trapped wind'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've been in and out of hospital since last year with attacks but they thought it was ibs. Got given gas and air and codiene.

ReputationRep:
    I've had 3 - once when I was inpatient at the hospital, I was admitted for about 2 weeks, things were really bad. I guess my symptoms were weight loss, urgency/extreme frequency, passing blood, a lot of pain but it got to the stage where my body was shutting down. I kind of ignored it all for too long or didn't consider it to be as serious as it was, went to the GP and eh they sent me there. Can't tell you an awful lot about that one because they said I was too sick to just be under sedation so had it under GA. Second one was the same, under GA but as a day case and that's when I was actually diagnosed with Crohn's.

Third one I was just under sedation, it was really fine, I do remember it. Although supposedly the medication they give you sort of makes you forget it didn't really seem to have that effect on me. Honestly though I didn't think it was all that bad - the worst bit every time has been having to do the prep! It's more just uncomfortable or a weird sensation than actually painful when you get the test, or at least that was my experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shorty94)
    Hi everyone,

I've been told recently by my doctor that I've got to have a colonoscopy done soon. I'm pretty nervous, and was just wondering if anyone else has experience of one?

They think I've got Crohns disease or UC, so if anyone had any experience of that I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks x
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey Shorty (sorry that sounds funny...)

I was diagnosed with UC via flexi-sigmoidoscopy in December 2013. The procedure was done under sedation but I was still awake, just felt like I'd had about 10 shots of vodka. Everything was slurred and blurry. It felt uncomfortable, but the pain was pretty numbed by the sedation. Being awake is a good thing because you can talk to the nurses and doctors around you and ask them to stop if anything is too uncomfortable.

If you want to PM me with any questions, about this or UC related, feel free. Best wishes x

ReputationRep:
    I have my colonoscopy booked for the 10th of March, I'm dreading it.

How do they prepare you for it the day before? They said something about a laxative..

And hows the pain afterwards, are you uncomfortable for some time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shorty94)
    I have my colonoscopy booked for the 10th of March, I'm dreading it.

How do they prepare you for it the day before? They said something about a laxative..

And hows the pain afterwards, are you uncomfortable for some time?
    I was already in hospital when I had it done and on the toilet about 30x per day, so I didn't get a laxative. :P

Most people have to drink 4 sachets of Moviprep the night before, which apparently tastes pretty foul, but it completely clears you out, so to speak.

It's a little sore in there once you've had it done, more just a dull ache, but if you've got UC, it's nothing compared to the cramping feelings you'll probably already have experienced.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Colonscopies can be uncomfortable but if you tell the doctors/nurses you're feeling a little anxious they can help you feel more at ease Tell them you want sedation. It's over quickly though but I get your anxieties, I've had a few and I still dread them but once they're over you realise they're not as bad as you think

I also have Crohn's disease, if you have any questions, I'm your girl x
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I had a colonoscopy done when I was 16 and I'm a very anxious and nervous person who utterly hates hospitals but I'm not joking, there's nothing to it and I'm not just saying that to calm your nerves. I would rather have a colonoscopy again than go to the dentist tbh! The worst was the laxative you have to take before it and then not being able to drink. I got it done for suspected Crohn's along with a MRI scan and blood work.

I don't remember anything about the procedure itself as the sedation must have just totally knocked me out. I just remember coming back around and then eating some toast. I was allowed to go home with my mum about an hour and a half after I woke up. I remember going to Asda and still being a bit weird from the sedation and laughing and pointing at bananas mum never let's me live that down lol. But other than feeling a bit giddy after the sedation for a few hours, I had no problems after it. No pain, no bleeding. I got some results there and then and biopsy results that the doctor took about a week or two later
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've received a package from the hospital today containing my 'Klean Prep'.. the satchets are huge :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.