Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How is Germany coping with refugees? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In the news there are lots of negative opinions regarding the actions of refugees in Germany. Such news instances include 100 sexual assaults on New Year's Eve, refugee males being banned from swimming pool following: rapes, assaults and inappropriate behavior and other general negative press.

So my question is (to people who live in Germany and can speak from personal experience) how much truth is in these articles? Are they regular occurrences? How is Germany coping? And What are the general attitudes towards refugees?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robert M-B)
    In the news there are lots of negative opinions regarding the actions of refugees in Germany. Such news instances include 100 sexual assaults on New Year's Eve, refugee males being banned from swimming pool following: rapes, assaults and inappropriate behavior and other general negative press.

So my question is (to people who live in Germany and can speak from personal experience) how much truth is in these articles? Are they regular occurrences? How is Germany coping? And What are the general attitudes towards refugees?

Thanks
    I don't know about Germany but in Sweden its really bad. You need to understand the culture of the middle-east to understand that any Women who dare wear revealing clothing are automatically classed as a whore and fair game.

We have had Pakistan men in our country grooming white children in a way which involves gang rape.

Your not going to get the answers on TSR. Your best going to a German forum and speaking German.

Also there will be a lot of poltical bias. Someone from ANITFA will obviously say a immigrant can do no harm and someone from one of Germanys Neo-Nazi factions will tell you immigrants are the source of all the countries woes.

Its cultural. Religiously conservative people see sexually liberalised people as sluts and whores.

ReputationRep:
    My sister did her year abroad in Cologne when all the migrants had just started coming in. She was catcalled by a few of them, one of them tried to talk to her in German and threatened to rape her, and another tried to grope her boob in a bar but the bartender saw him and he got kicked out.
    One of her friends donated some clothes to a migrant family who had recently gone to an asylum centre. They verbally abused her and called her a slut.

There defo has been some truth in the articles. My sister loved Cologne when she was younger but what she went through traumatised her. I doubt she wants to set foot in Cologne again.

ReputationRep:
    allowing all them in is a disaster in waiting will only get much worse .
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    With several friends dotted round the country, they've all been unanimous in saying not a lot has changed. Day to day life is no different, even in Colonge where perhaps the only thing different is people are slightly more cautious walking around at night alone (Though my friends agreed that that's common sense to stay vigilante at night alone anyway).

They don't necessarily approve of how Merkel is handling it, but the consensus is that the idea Germany is suddenly burning down and on the brink of destruction is complete rubbish.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    I had family who lived in Germany for 7 years. They actually moved back to the UK October last year. The reason was the migrants. Migration as a whole was not an issue to them but these migrants were different apparently. There was a culture clash and at night they generally feared for their safety. They saw their local area change in the space of months into something unrecognisable. Luckily they had the UK to move back to but for the many Germans who feel the same, it's not a nice feeling
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Thanks
    Just to let you know there were 1000 sexual assaults in Cologne alone on new year's eve.
    Seeing how crime has risen by 65%, it's clear to see what the problem is.

However, by law, the police cannot speak about migrants unless they are specifically asked, therefore we have only seen the tip of the iceberg, only a small proportion is being reported. It's actually much much worse than people think if they just listen to the media.

Furthermore I have some German friends who have moved to the UK as their street was bought up by a 'community' of migrants who did not integrate. They had to sell their house for much less than it was worth in the end, but they were happy to leave.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    It's mostly right-wing media exaggeration, Germany has taken very few immigrants compared to Turkey. And sexual assaults aren't any more probable among immigrants than the natives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doug Stamper)
    It's mostly right-wing media exaggeration, Germany has taken very few immigrants compared to Turkey. And sexual assaults aren't any more probable among immigrants than the natives.
    That's like saying South Central LA does not have much crime because Johannesburg has comparatively more crime. Or that Old Trafford is small because Wembley is bigger.

Also, please repeat the statement "sexual assaults aren't any more probable among immigrants than the natives" with a straight face. No way can you. Everyone knows they're more likely to rape and sexually assault people, that's why in places they give them classes upon arrival on how not to rape people! The debate is whether or not more rape and sexual assault is a palatable cost in "doing the right thing".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    That's like saying South Central LA does not have much crime because Johannesburg has comparatively more crime. Or that Old Trafford is small because Wembley is bigger.

Also, please repeat the statement "sexual assaults aren't any more probable among immigrants than the natives" with a straight face. No way can you. Everyone knows they're more likely to rape and sexually assault people, that's why in places they give them classes upon arrival on how not to rape people! The debate is whether or not more rape and sexual assault is a palatable cost in "doing the right thing".
    You're a victim of scaremongering, it's dangerous when the press has such influence over weak minded individuals such as yourself.

ReputationRep:
    You're a victim of scaremongering, it's dangerous when the press has such influence over weak minded individuals such as yourself.
    The press is the thing which pushes a pro-immigration agenda.

Loads of mass rapes were covered up. Why would the press oppose mass migration?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Free Kurdistan)
    The press is the thing which pushes a pro-immigration agenda.

Loads of mass rapes were covered up. Why would the press oppose mass migration?
    The press is generally anti-immigration, because sales thrive when they blame a group of refugees for the country's problems.

ReputationRep:
    The press is generally anti-immigration, because sales thrive when they blame a group of refugees for the country's problems.
    He won't get this so I wouldn't even attempt to try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)

Both of are massively overestimating how evil and racist the media is, I've noticed this trend of people on the left, it's ok for them to create this ridiculous esistential enemy provided they are perceived as rich as powerful.

ReputationRep:
    Both of are massively overestimating how evil and racist the media is, I've noticed this trend of people on the left, it's ok for them to create this ridiculous esistential enemy provided they are perceived as rich as powerful.
    Lol.

ReputationRep:
    No need to revert to personal attacks on here folks. Just because someone shares a different opinion does not mean they are 'weak minded.'

I do not live in Germany but i have heard several conflicting reports regarding sexual assaults taking place as well as kidnappings and abductions. Is some of it from the fiction of the right? Yes it is.

However there have also been news reports and crimes that have been SUPPRESSED by the police out of fear of repercussions regarding sexual assaults that have been committed by migrants. To many people the fact that the German establishment tried to hide some of the reports is deeply disturbing and a sign of the cultural barrier that is being encountered by many migrants entering Europe.

Personally I'm on the bench. After all i have not been to Germany for roughly twelve years, and i have no German friends that can give me a detailed, unbiased picture of the situation. We'll simply have to wait and see to discover whether we are on the right side of history: If there is a right side to be on.

Best regards to all of you.
    Francis Ewan Urquhart.

ReputationRep:
    "You disagree with me, it must be that you can't think for yourself so the media does it for you. I'm too stupid and simple-minded to grasp the notion that somebody might look at the same issue, think about it and come to a different conclusion to me ".

- Doug Stamper

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, I am more than prepared for the new Europe.

brb learned some Arabic, want to learn more

brb some of the Quran memorised

brb Halal choons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    When loads disagree with their views for whatever reason, a lot of small-minded people put it down to the media being against whatever their view is because they can't fathom that anybody other than brainwashed idiots could possibly disagree with them about anything. They're that arrogant. They come up with this conspiracy theory and it's really quite pathetic. Paranoid extremists on both sides of the political spectrum are often guilty of this. You're doing it.

ReputationRep:
    brb learned some Arabic, want to learn more

brb Halal choons
    arabic is such an ugly language.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.