Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Almost all of my A-level courses are of the new specification meaning that there are no past papers for me to use as revision material. This proves incredibly difficult because it is one of my best ways to learn. Does anyone have any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarafehybelle)
    Almost all of my A-level courses are of the new specification meaning that there are no past papers for me to use as revision material. This proves incredibly difficult because it is one of my best ways to learn. Does anyone have any tips?
    There must be specimen papers out there m8

ReputationRep:
    I'm with you lad. You have to play it harder... Go through the old specification and find whats similar and whats new and smash the old past paper questions... its long and tedious but the only way tbh

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at your specifications and look at the past papers in the old specifications, it is likely that some topics will be covered in both courses so you can skip the ones not included in your new course.

There should hopefully be practice questions in any textbooks that you have for the new courses, so try to practice those if the answers are included in the book.

Specimen papers should be available online for each of your subjects with a mark scheme usually included at the end of the paper. These papers may not cover every single topic though, so try to compliment this with questions from the book.

Hope this helps, and out of curiosity, which subjects are you taking under the new system?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i'm struggling with revising for AS Biology as I've already done all the specimen papers for the new syllabus. Will probably do some older past papers from the old syllabus but am worried about the questions that are not relevant Does anyone have any tips for Biology revision btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dapperblook22)
    Have a look at your specifications and look at the past papers in the old specifications, it is likely that some topics will be covered in both courses so you can skip the ones not included in your new course.

There should hopefully be practice questions in any textbooks that you have for the new courses, so try to practice those if the answers are included in the book.

Specimen papers should be available online for each of your subjects with a mark scheme usually included at the end of the paper. These papers may not cover every single topic though, so try to compliment this with questions from the book.

Hope this helps, and out of curiosity, which subjects are you taking under the new system?
    I'm taking History, English Literature and Business. Spanish is the only thing i'm taking that's unaffected

ReputationRep:
    I'm happy because only half of my subjects will be affected by the new spec (Physics and German, while Maths and FM will use the old spec). Bad news is that I probably need more help with Physics and German :erm:

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking History, English Literature and Business. Spanish is the only thing i'm taking that's unaffected
    I took Maths, Further Maths, Computing and ICT, so my advise may not be too relevant haha . Either way Spanish should still have the past papers to practice, and just practicing questions or rote learning from the textbook may help.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you should be able to find at least 2 new specimen papers if your on aqa and if your not just use there **** anyway xD. Im doing ocr and they provide literaly nothing to help apart from the textbook, they haven't even bothered with specimen papers for the public yet from what i can tell.

e.g. link to a physics specimen paper: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/scien...ment-resources

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.