Clarafehybelle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Almost all of my A-level courses are of the new specification meaning that there are no past papers for me to use as revision material. This proves incredibly difficult because it is one of my best ways to learn. Does anyone have any tips?
Shiv is Light
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Clarafehybelle)
Almost all of my A-level courses are of the new specification meaning that there are no past papers for me to use as revision material. This proves incredibly difficult because it is one of my best ways to learn. Does anyone have any tips?
There must be specimen papers out there m8
Someboady
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm with you lad. You have to play it harder... Go through the old specification and find whats similar and whats new and smash the old past paper questions... its long and tedious but the only way tbh
Dapperblook22
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have a look at your specifications and look at the past papers in the old specifications, it is likely that some topics will be covered in both courses so you can skip the ones not included in your new course.

There should hopefully be practice questions in any textbooks that you have for the new courses, so try to practice those if the answers are included in the book.

Specimen papers should be available online for each of your subjects with a mark scheme usually included at the end of the paper. These papers may not cover every single topic though, so try to compliment this with questions from the book.

Hope this helps, and out of curiosity, which subjects are you taking under the new system?
Philip-flop
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah i'm struggling with revising for AS Biology as I've already done all the specimen papers for the new syllabus. Will probably do some older past papers from the old syllabus but am worried about the questions that are not relevant Does anyone have any tips for Biology revision btw?
Clarafehybelle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Dapperblook22)
Have a look at your specifications and look at the past papers in the old specifications, it is likely that some topics will be covered in both courses so you can skip the ones not included in your new course.

There should hopefully be practice questions in any textbooks that you have for the new courses, so try to practice those if the answers are included in the book.

Specimen papers should be available online for each of your subjects with a mark scheme usually included at the end of the paper. These papers may not cover every single topic though, so try to compliment this with questions from the book.

Hope this helps, and out of curiosity, which subjects are you taking under the new system?
I'm taking History, English Literature and Business. Spanish is the only thing i'm taking that's unaffected
TheOtherSide.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm happy because only half of my subjects will be affected by the new spec (Physics and German, while Maths and FM will use the old spec). Bad news is that I probably need more help with Physics and German :erm:
Dapperblook22
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm taking History, English Literature and Business. Spanish is the only thing i'm taking that's unaffected
I took Maths, Further Maths, Computing and ICT, so my advise may not be too relevant haha . Either way Spanish should still have the past papers to practice, and just practicing questions or rote learning from the textbook may help.
profjb
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah you should be able to find at least 2 new specimen papers if your on aqa and if your not just use there **** anyway xD. Im doing ocr and they provide literaly nothing to help apart from the textbook, they haven't even bothered with specimen papers for the public yet from what i can tell.

e.g. link to a physics specimen paper: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/scien...ment-resources
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (196)
59.94%
No (72)
22.02%
Not sure (59)
18.04%

Watched Threads