Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't even like it anymore. I have a mock coming up and it's stressing me out so much because I have no motivation to sit down and revise because I find it really difficult and boring. I want to study biology or something of that sort at university, and most uni's consider psychology a science, which is another subject that I take and enjoy a lot more. I'm afraid chemistry will pull my grades down if I carry it on - advice?

ReputationRep:
    Bump...

ReputationRep:
    Is this AS Chemistry? Why? Do you think it's too difficult for you and you're not capable of doing well in it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    Is this AS Chemistry? Why? Do you think it's too difficult for you and you're not capable of doing well in it?
    Yep AS. I think it's really difficult, yes. I'm not even sure how I'd do in it as we've had no mock exams or anything to give us an indication of how we're doing.

ReputationRep:
    Do your mock, you may surprise yourself! If the outcome isn't as great and you think you can utilise the time you spend on AS chemistry with your other subjects and your 6th form and college allow you to drop it then go ahead with it. A-Level chemistry is difficult but can be enjoyable, and taking it at AS relieved me from revising large chunks of biology (biological molecules, ie protein and enzymes). It could also be a matter of your revision technique that isn't allowing you to reach your potential in the subject. A revision method that you use in biology may not work for chemistry. You can also consider a tutor too. Good luck with the mock and hope that it all turns out well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    Do your mock, you may surprise yourself! If the outcome isn't as great and you think you can utilise the time you spend on AS chemistry with your other subjects and your 6th form and college allow you to drop it then go ahead with it. A-Level chemistry is difficult but can be enjoyable, and taking it at AS relieved me from revising large chunks of biology (biological molecules, ie protein and enzymes). It could also be a matter of your revision technique that isn't allowing you to reach your potential in the subject. A revision method that you use in biology may not work for chemistry. You can also consider a tutor too. Good luck with the mock and hope that it all turns out well!
    Thank you! I really don't like it now lol. I had mentioned a while back to my head of sixth that I wanted to drop it. This is really random but do you think I should be revising hardcore right now for my summer exams? I've been revising as I go along in all my subjects (except chemistry...oops) but I'm wondering if I should start now or next week? I'm getting worked up so much lately about exams and bleugh. The pressure in year 12 is ridiculous compared to year 11, let alone year 13! Sorry this is so random but thank you for your response. I love biology, but I don't think chemistry is my thing really; I'd rather memorise a bunch of facts and apply them than try to memorise difficult concepts and how to do horrible maths.

ReputationRep:
    I am working on my AS Chemistry and dear the point is that how much you challenge yourself its simply a challenge. I would strongly suggest you to go for your mocks. Still its your choice but do give it a chance.

ReputationRep:
    I believe the correct term for dropping in chemistry is a titration

Name:  R9OPyqh_.jpeg
Views: 42
Size:  16.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SohaMemon)
    I am working on my AS Chemistry and dear the point is that how much you challenge yourself its simply a challenge. I would strongly suggest you to go for your mocks. Still its your choice but do give it a chance.
    I'm definitely going to do it! How well I'll do in it is another thing... lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewKn0x)
    Thank you! I really don't like it now lol. I had mentioned a while back to my head of sixth that I wanted to drop it. This is really random but do you think I should be revising hardcore right now for my summer exams? I've been revising as I go along in all my subjects (except chemistry...oops) but I'm wondering if I should start now or next week? I'm getting worked up so much lately about exams and bleugh. The pressure in year 12 is ridiculous compared to year 11, let alone year 13! Sorry this is so random but thank you for your response. I love biology, but I don't think chemistry is my thing really; I'd rather memorise a bunch of facts and apply them than try to memorise difficult concepts and how to do horrible maths.
    I don't blame you for hating chemistry. I missed my first year of AS due to being ill and did AS chemistry the year after now in A2 chemistry and it's a challenge but not impossible. I am on ocr A for chem and ocr for biology and really like biolofy. Similar to you I can remember a lot of concepts and spit them back onto paper. It's up to you whether you want to do it this week or next week. Maybe spend the remainder of this week buying the required stationary like high lighters, cue cards, printing ALL past papers and staple them up ready to do, as well make a REALISTIC timetable (in the real world you cannot do 6 hours revision of biology one night) Then next week you can do the real revision. The more you buckle down now, the less cramming and pressure in Easter/next year. If you get distracted go to your local library. I've spent only one day this half term not in the library and got so much work done purely being away from home. Don't forget to reward yourself with breaks and talk to a teacher if you're stuck with something (even if you hate them lol). I've heard that the reform of chemistry is harder but that would normally mean that your exam paper this year could be kind to you.

Don't lose motivation and hope now. Imagine getting awesome grades in summer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    I believe the correct term for dropping in chemistry is a titration

Name:  R9OPyqh_.jpeg
Views: 42
Size:  16.4 KB
    Oh my loool drop the base

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, there's a reason why many biology degrees ask for chemistry but don't ask for biology - that's because the higher up you get in bio the more it's about how molecules and intermolecular forces work. This also includes quite a bit of maths, as all sciences do at degree level. Perhaps the reason why Chemistry is being such a struggle compared to your other A-levels is because you've revised for the others more? There's still plenty of time! I wish you the best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Do it! Just do it! While I didn't like chemistry I did still receive a decent grade. If you have absolute no interest in the subject go ahead and drop it just don't regret your decision. If you need advice for chemistry PM me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    I don't blame you for hating chemistry. I missed my first year of AS due to being ill and did AS chemistry the year after now in A2 chemistry and it's a challenge but not impossible. I am on ocr A for chem and ocr for biology and really like biolofy. Similar to you I can remember a lot of concepts and spit them back onto paper. It's up to you whether you want to do it this week or next week. Maybe spend the remainder of this week buying the required stationary like high lighters, cue cards, printing ALL past papers and staple them up ready to do, as well make a REALISTIC timetable (in the real world you cannot do 6 hours revision of biology one night) Then next week you can do the real revision. The more you buckle down now, the less cramming and pressure in Easter/next year. If you get distracted go to your local library. I've spent only one day this half term not in the library and got so much work done purely being away from home. Don't forget to reward yourself with breaks and talk to a teacher if you're stuck with something (even if you hate them lol). I've heard that the reform of chemistry is harder but that would normally mean that your exam paper this year could be kind to you.

Don't lose motivation and hope now. Imagine getting awesome grades in summer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've been so busy this half term that I haven't got much work done, hence why I'm so stressed. I'm going to do lots tomorrow and Sunday before schools starts so I should be okay? I've got Biology and Psychology unit 1 done and I can remember quite a lot of it, it's just a case of constantly reviewing it and polishing up my knowledge. As for chemistry, I haven't even started. Unit 2 Biology and Psychology need work also, but I can do that these next couple of days. Should be okay to start again next week, I hope! I'll update this thread with my chemistry mock result and see whether I drop it or not! Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewKn0x)
    I don't even like it anymore. I have a mock coming up and it's stressing me out so much because I have no motivation to sit down and revise because I find it really difficult and boring. I want to study biology or something of that sort at university, and most uni's consider psychology a science, which is another subject that I take and enjoy a lot more. I'm afraid chemistry will pull my grades down if I carry it on - advice?
    If you're finding it difficult, I would recommend watching 'Tywin Lannister Chemistry videos on youtube as they are really helpful and just practice exam questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jyotii)
    If you're finding it difficult, I would recommend watching 'Tywin Lannister Chemistry videos on youtube as they are really helpful and just practice exam questions
    Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.