The Student Room Group

What are your opinions on plus sized models?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GreekTea
What size do you class as plus size?
What size would you be if you could alter your own figure?
What are your opinions on the UK average being a size 16?

1. I'd say plus size is from size 14+
2. I'd like to be an 8-10 In jeans. My top size is fine.
3.dont really have an opinion.
What is considered "plus size" (so around size 16 and over) =/= unhealthy, fat ect. There's so many other factors, an obvious one being height, that determine if you are the right size or not. To answer the OP, representation is always important and it would help bigger women visualise how the clothes would fit their own body better.
Original post by sleepysnooze
well, let's ask the male version: what do you think of short male models?

Is the male equivalent of being fat, being short?

Is a fat male more attractive than a short male?
Original post by xobeauty
What's that in pounds? why would they stop selling those sizes?

Currently on this post, people have argued that if you are above a certain size, particularly an 'unhealthy' size- they will have to shop elsewhere for clothing, and potentially be shamed for this.

The opposing argument would be, if you are less than 9-10 stone in weight (based on the nationally proclaimed healthy weight in accordance to 5ft5-5ft7 in height) why should they provide the clothing sizes that correlate with weights of less than 9 stone, which would be sizes 00, 0, 2, 4, 6, and potetially 8. When a size 6 for example is 3 dress sizes too small to be classed as healthy....which would show the same relationship as a size 18 being 3 dress sizes too big to be classed as healthy.

so in theory a size 6 is equally as unhealthy as a size 18 and therefore, according to such theories, shouldn't be stocked in standard stores.
Original post by Dinasaurus

It depends on the beholder, i personally prefer men to be around 5ft7 to 5ft9, under no circumstance to be above 6ft and under no circumstance to be a body builder or tanned- it's simply a matter of preference.
Unhealthy. Not something to aspire to or promote.
It depends on the beholder, i personally prefer men to be around 5ft7 to 5ft9, under no circumstance to be above 6ft and under no circumstance to be a body builder or tanned- it's simply a matter of preference.

I mean I understand how it can be preference but isn't say under no circumstance tanned, like slightly racist?
Original post by Shiv is Light
What size are you m8?

I am a 8 top and 10 jeans, at 5ft 8.

Hoping to reach a size 12/14 due to personal preference. My idols are Kim Kardashian and Nicki Minaj.
Currently on this post, people have argued that if you are above a certain size, particularly an 'unhealthy' size- they will have to shop elsewhere for clothing, and potentially be shamed for this.

The opposing argument would be, if you are less than 9-10 stone in weight (based on the nationally proclaimed healthy weight in accordance to 5ft5-5ft7 in height) why should they provide the clothing sizes that correlate with weights of less than 9 stone, which would be sizes 00, 0, 2, 4, 6, and potetially 8. When a size 6 for example is 3 dress sizes too small to be classed as healthy....which would show the same relationship as a size 18 being 3 dress sizes too big to be classed as healthy.

so in theory a size 6 is equally as unhealthy as a size 18 and therefore, according to such theories, shouldn't be stocked in standard stores.

Under 9 stone is unhealthy? Nearly everyone I know who I don't know for being fat is under 9 stone, damn.
I am a 8 top and 10 jeans, at 5ft 8.

Hoping to reach a size 12/14 due to personal preference. My idols are Kim Kardashian and Nicki Minaj.

Don't know what that means but oh well lol
I mean I understand how it can be preference but isn't say under no circumstance tanned, like slightly racist?

No because i am mixed race.
I think it's "plus size" when you wear it and you're overweight...but given that there isn't consistent set of measurements that stores go by that's problematic and you can't say it's a specific size.

I tend to wear UK sizes 6-8 (mostly 6s), I wouldn't say I was happy with my size though. Now whilst I can't say that I'm healthy (I'm trying to get back into recovery from my eating disorder), not everyone who is my size is unhealthy. Just like not everyone who's a size 14 is unhealthy. It depends on a bunch of different things.

I don't really have any opinions. It's their body, they can do what they want with it. :dontknow:
Under 9 stone is unhealthy? Nearly everyone I know who I don't know for being fat is under 9 stone, damn.

I myself have been as low as 5 stone and hope to reach 13 stone.
It is based on the average WOMAN though, 18 years old plus.
No because i am mixed race.

Does being mixed race allow you to say such things? I am mixed race too but I'm pretty sure if I said "I don't like Chinese people" it would still be offensive.
Does being mixed race allow you to say such things? I am mixed race too but I'm pretty sure if I said "I don't like Chinese people" it would still be offensive.

But i'm not saying i don't like coloured people, or black people, or chinese people- i'm saying i don't like tans, especially fake tan on men.
There will always be somebody bigger than you, thinner than you, taller than you, shorter than you,paler than you and more tanned than you. Many suffer from disabilities.

But everybody is beautiful to somebody.

Aww that's sweet :smile:

Oh ok, I see what you're saying.

I don't think these people, the companies of these stores are equating health to their sizing charts though.

What I think is rude is that they have a section just for plus size, why not just have all the sizes together?
Original post by xobeauty
Oh ok, I see what you're saying.

I don't think these people, the companies of these stores are equating health to their sizing charts though.

What I think is rude is that they have a section just for plus size, why not just have all the sizes together?

They make their sizes according to their profit. If there are more people at size 16, say, they will stock more of that size. This is based on local areas which vary.

Top designer brands, however, argue that they will not stock above a uk size 10 because if the customers cared about fashion, they would be slim. Is this foolish considering so much of the world is plus sized- and there is such a big profit to be made?

depends how short and how fat, of course
if moderately fat and moderate short, then their facial attractiveness will be the determination
but in my opinion, it depends because a short girl won't notice so much if a guy is short but the normal/taller ones will. however, *all* height girls will see that a guy is fat but perhaps it won't be as much of a deal breaker. so it's a matter of what you consider worse.
They make their sizes according to their profit. If there are more people at size 16, say, they will stock more of that size. This is based on local areas which vary.

Top designer brands, however, argue that they will not stock above a uk size 10 because if the customers cared about fashion, they would be slim. Is this foolish considering so much of the world is plus sized- and there is such a big profit to be made?

Well if the demand is not there why would they make it then?

As for the designer brands, it's an image thing, they want to cater to a certain group of people/look. They are still making loads of money.

Quick Reply

Latest