Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

RBS: Moving from student account to graduate account watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hi forummers,

    I'm in my final year of university and have had an RBS student account the whole time I've been here. I know that when I graduate my account will transfer over to a graduate account, and I have secured graduate employment beginning in mid August.

    Now as you may be aware both of these accounts offer interest free overdraft. With the student account you can apply for up to £500 in your first term and £2000 afterwards. I'm in my final term so would be eligible for the £2000, but I've never actually had to use it before.

    The graduate account which will automatically succeed the student account allows for an interest free overdraft of £2000 in the first year after you graduate and then £1000 in the second year.

    Now, as I said earlier, I've never had to use overdraft in the past, however it seems like I will need it over the summer between finishing uni and graduating. The reason for this is that my student loan stops being paid in May and my student flat rent is due every month until July Also my part time job pays a month late and I can't start working shifts there until mid June.

    Essentially I will have the money to pay my June/July rents but won't have it until a couple of months later when (a) I get paid for working some shifts at my part time job and (b) I get my first payslip from my new full time graduate job

    With all this in mind, what chance do you think I've got at being accepted for £1000 interest free overdraft limit from RBS?


    What you should have done is to take the overdraft at the beginning but then not use it. I don't see why RBS would turn you down, especially as you are at a point where, having finished uni and finished with your student account, you may be considering switching banks.
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.