Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi everyone,

Basically I met my best friend a couple of years ago. We live together, are on the same course and do everything together. Said best friend is in a long term relationship, as was I until recently.
    For a year and a half I have developed feelings for my friend, which have gradually gotten worse over time. When I realised it wasn't just a passing crush, things ended with my other half as I didn't want to cause any unnecessary hurt. It was the most difficult decision of my life so far, but I believed it was best at the time.
    I just want to get over my feelings for my friend and my ex. A couple of months on, I am still in the same situation. I have tried avoiding the friend, but it is impossible as we live together and go to class together. I can't move out. My friend is not aware of my feelings, but sometimes acts as if they feel the same way - which doesn't help me move on. I also miss my ex greatly and would do anything to go back to how we used to be. I am not willing to ruin another relationship over this and I couldn't hurt my friend and their partner. I have beaten myself up so much because of it. I've tried noticing other people, but I only see my friend and ex in that way.
    Basically I just want to move on from this. Anyone been in a similar situation?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry that this has happened to you, I'm sure your friend is a great person so don't be so down that you like your friend. If you think of this in a different way, aren't you lucky to have been with your friend for such a long time? I'm sure your friend cares about you, which is why you guys do everything together right? If you feel really bad, idk but maybe tell your friend about your feelings? If she's been your friend for so long, she should be able to respect your feelings. You would be very fortunate if your friend feels the same way too! I hope you don't feel bad for too long and wish you the best for your future

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm sorry you're in this situation but if your crush is still with their partner, you have to accept that nothing is going to happen. In a perfect world you would be able to avoid them but you have to remember that this is just infatuation that is being further ignited by you constantly being around them and reminding yourself of your feelings. I think that it would be good if you could speak to them about it just to get it off your mind but obviously this could make things awkward as you're living together. I'd just say that you need to try and keep in mind that this is just a crush and as much as it may seem like something more, you're not letting anything go by getting over it as nothing probably could happen and you're probably just more involved in this person because you are living with them. Hope this helps in some way, good luck!

Thank you for the replies guys. I know I posted this a month ago.

Things are just getting worse. I'm letting myself feel deeper and I don't know how to get out of this rut. I am dreading going home for easter, because I'm going to miss them so much.

Why isn't anything simple? haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you for the replies guys. I know I posted this a month ago.

Things are just getting worse. I'm letting myself feel deeper and I don't know how to get out of this rut. I am dreading going home for easter, because I'm going to miss them so much.

Why isn't anything simple? haha!
    I really wish I could help u there. How about asking ur crush casually to go somewhere with u? since ur friends is unaware of ur feelings, she wont think about it deeply. so then, u wont have to miss ur friend.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.